Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:59:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[129] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[111] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[41] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[39] access for all at Devon stations report
[25] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[20] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beautiful Roads  (Read 5094 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: February 04, 2015, 18:07:08 »

The Rt Hon John Marples Hayes MP (Member of Parliament) sets out a "barnstorming" vision for the future of UK (United Kingdom) roads - https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/beautiful-roads

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 18:21:21 »

You may be as baffled as I was - what was the audience for this speech?

Well, it was the CPRE (Campaign to Protect Rural England) and the Campaign for Better Transport, which does kind of explain the content.

CPRE-CBT(resolve) Lecture on 'Making roads beautiful' with the Rt Hon John Hayes MP (Member of Parliament) to take place on 4 February 2015

3:30-5pm, followed by a drinks reception
Bircham Dyson Bell, 50 Broadway, London SW1H 0BL

We are pleased to announce that the Minister of State for Transport, the Rt Hon John Hayes MP, will give a lecture on 4 February, jointly organised with the Campaign for Better Transport.
The lecture will explore how good design and beauty can be incorporated into road development. Sir Andrew Motion, CPRE President and former Poet Laureate, will respond, and there will be an opportunity following the lecture to pose questions to the Minister on details of the Government^s proposed Road Investment Strategy, which includes ^15 billion spending on building new roads.
The event is kindly hosted by Bircham Dyson Bell at their London office.

I wonder what the Poet Laureate was moved to say in response ...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 18:26:50 »

Yet interesting ...

I want to see the same kind of transformation of how we perceive road travel as we have seen with parts of the railway.

A generation ago the main London railway termini were dark, dirty and depressing shadows of their former selves.

The demolition of the Euston Arch at the end of the 1950s was emblematic of a wider destruction of the romance and style of rail travel. By the 1970s the idea of spending more time than absolutely necessary at a railway station would have been seen as absurd. Indeed, a British Rail cheese sandwich became a national joke.

Now St Pancras and Kings Cross have become popular destinations in their own right. Railway stations which are places to shop, to wine and dine. We have reclaimed the vision of Sir John Betjeman, whose statue rightly adorns the reborn St Pancras.

Now isn't an admiration of how a part of the railway has been reborn, expressed in public by a road minister, somewhat encouraging for other rail developments?  I'm struck by some of the German and Dutch stations I've visited (some, I stress, not all!) ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 08:46:47 »

I'm sorry Mr Hayes, but improving the visual environment is no excuse for trashing the climate with providing for yet more increase car use.

In the Feb 2014 Modern Railways, there are a number of graphs from the Government's "National Transport Model", used to forcast stuff. The graphs show 'England All Roads' figures. Vehicle miles on the road network is predicted to increase, with most of the scenarios on the CO2 graph showing an increase in emmissions (which, apparently, and supprisingly, have been falling since arround 2007) from 2020 onwards. Rather than providing more road capacity to allow this growth to happen, my view is the government's policy should be to encourage use of public transport instead and prevent the growth. Mr Hayes may claim: "modern concepts of sustainable travel no longer have to be anti-car", but I completely disagree. Even electric cars cannot possibly be as efficient as electric buses and trains, can they?

It^s a massive task. But I want to see the same kind of transformation of how we perceive road travel as we have seen with parts of the railway.
Replace 'road travel' with 'bus travel' and that is something that could almost have come from me. It is perhaps the best way to explain my dissapointment with the TrawsCymru network.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 13:42:58 »

[/quote]

Better ask Carol Ann Duffy!

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 15:18:36 »

Better ask Carol Ann Duffy!
[/quote]

Well, I guess from that mistake it's pretty obvious that I'm not a great poetry-lover.

From what little I know of the two of them, if it had been Carol Ann Duffy I suspect the response might have been more ... interesting than the ex-laureate's.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 16:24:37 »

Down the quiet road, away, away, towards
the dying time,
love went, brave soldier, the song dwindling...

From An Unseen, by Carol Ann Duffy

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 13:27:45 »

Poetry is, a bit like beauty, in the ear of the beholder.

But back to the main thread - Beautiful roads?  I can't help but think of modern routes, (however well they're landscaped) perhaps like the Newbury by-pass, as being great, suppurating wounds. Along these travel toxic 'metal box' bugs, causing septicaemia of, and in the environment, driven by selfish people like me who are too lazy to work out how to get from A to B via a more sustainable form of transport. 

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 16:27:35 »

But back to the main thread - Beautiful roads?  I can't help but think of modern routes, (however well they're landscaped) perhaps like the Newbury by-pass, as being great, suppurating wounds. Along these travel toxic 'metal box' bugs, causing septicaemia of, and in the environment, driven by selfish people like me who are too lazy to work out how to get from A to B via a more sustainable form of transport. 

In its way, your post is poetic, Cynthia: some strong images within an extended metaphor.   Smiley
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 09:01:15 »

In its way, your post is poetic, Cynthia: some strong images within an extended metaphor.   Smiley

Thank you, trainer, I hope one of the images includes one of me hanging my head in shame, as I do at frequent intervals.  I should be prepared to set a better example to my growing grandchildren.

Edit note: Quote marks fixed, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 19:33:09 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: