17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
11:12 Salisbury to Worcester Foregate Street
14:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
15:59 Cardiff Central to Taunton
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 12:45:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: .....swing low........  (Read 8899 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2015, 13:41:30 »

........sorry if this has already been done elsewhere, but as an England rugby fan who is looking forward to a famous victory tonight I find it incredible that there is only one train back to London from Cardiff after the match at the Millenium stadium tonight (2226) - it will be absolute chaos at Cardiff Central - which genius made the decision not to run any later services, after all it's been in the calendar for almost a year?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 13:44:03 »

I would actually suggest that it is for the event organiser to discuss/arrange with FGW (First Great Western) for extra services if they want to put matches on that late....not the other way round.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 14:04:34 »

There's another London Paddington HST (High Speed Train).  Very sensibly not being advertised to the wider public as you don't want everyone turning up for that and the 22:26 running empty depending on how the crowd control is going.  There's also two London charters (one to Paddington, one to Victoria) at 22:09 and 22:32.

And lots of other additional regional trains to hopefully mop everyone all up:

22:15 to Bath Spa (HST)
22:55 to Bristol (HST)
23:10 to Bristol

Also a couple of extras heading towards Swansea (one a HST).

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 14:15:52 »

Indeed, advertise these & everyone would go for a beer & try to board the final one. Unadvertised, they will mop up those queuing....
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 14:36:51 »

Ah that's interesting, thanks.

I do remember a few years back watching a match at the Millenium and planning to get the last one back to Bristol.........fortunately (depending on your point of view!) we were drinking in Bridgend after the match, so got on a fairly empty train, however pulling into Cardiff was quite an experience.......I don't think I've ever seen so many people on board a train, with dozens left on the platform to contemplate a cold night at the station...........with only the memory of a crushing English victory to keep them warm!!!  Cheesy
Jeff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 17:21:51 »

Come on England!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 18:36:52 »

.....just hearing that Cardiff bound trains have been pulling into Bristol too packed for people to board
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 20:59:30 »

Are those with reservations guaranteed to get onto their booked train?  What if they get caught up in the queuing system and miss the last train of the night to their destination?

Also, interestingly, the Victoria service (headcode 146G) is coming off the GWML (Great Western Main Line) at North Pole then down the West London Line to London Victoria.  A few sections of line covered that don't normally see a passenger service.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 09:53:52 »

..is no one going to mention that England one?! I suspect there may have been a few locals in red shirts drowning their sorrows in Cardiff last night.

As someone who lived in Wales for 15 years it never ceased to amazed me how patriotic and passionate the Welsh are about their rugby. If you walked down the Main Street in Cardiff on international day it was often just a sea of red jerseys.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 11:20:18 »

Can't get particularly excited about Rugby (the town either), but good to see the train service plan seemed to work pretty well given the large crowds.  A few delays in departure due to awaiting supporters to get to the trains, but minimal delays to the four extra London trains arrival times.

The logistics of providing all these extra trains very late on a Friday night shouldn't be underestimated.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 12:20:28 »

..is no one going to mention that England one?! I suspect there may have been a few locals in red shirts drowning their sorrows in Cardiff last night.

As someone who lived in Wales for 15 years it never ceased to amazed me how patriotic and passionate the Welsh are about their rugby. If you walked down the Main Street in Cardiff on international day it was often just a sea of red jerseys.

This is what I like about the location of the Millennium Stadium, right in the city centre so the atmosphere builds before the game. Cardiff City Centre on match day is a great place to be even if your not attending the match just for the atmosphere.

Twickenham on the other hand has no such city centre around so other than a couple of local pubs, the crowd go to the game and back out again straight after.

When I go to Millennium Stadium I make a day of it and spend the whole day in Cardiff. When I go to Twickenham I arrive in the area an hour before kick off and leave pretty much at the final whistle.

I've been known to go to watch Wales rather than England just because of the Cardiff atmosphere on match days.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 13:07:28 »

Can't get particularly excited about Rugby (the town either),

Oh I don't know - I could tell a great story about parking up a dark alleyway there in the middle of the night to rescue a damsel in distress and her children ... that was an exciting night!   Grin  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 14:11:38 »

Can't get particularly excited about Rugby (the town either),

Oh I don't know - I could tell a great story about parking up a dark alleyway there in the middle of the night to rescue a damsel in distress and her children ... that was an exciting night!   Grin  Grin

Oh go on Graham, you can't leave us dangling there Smiley but I think this would be better moved out of the public area Smiley
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 14:23:36 »

For anyone driving into Wales along the M4 for the game yesterday it looked horrendous.

I came out of Bristol onto the M4 at J19 at around 3pm, to head home eastbound, and there was a queue going the other way from a few miles east of the junction. That must be the best part of 30 miles from Cardiff!

Great England come back and win, by the way  Smiley
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 16:35:11 »

This is what I like about the location of the Millennium Stadium, right in the city centre so the atmosphere builds before the game. Cardiff City Centre on match day is a great place to be even if your not attending the match just for the atmosphere.

Twickenham on the other hand has no such city centre around so other than a couple of local pubs, the crowd go to the game and back out again straight after.

When I go to Millennium Stadium I make a day of it and spend the whole day in Cardiff. When I go to Twickenham I arrive in the area an hour before kick off and leave pretty much at the final whistle.

I've been known to go to watch Wales rather than England just because of the Cardiff atmosphere on match days.

"Couple of local pubs?" which Twickenham have you been going to? There's at least 8 between the station and the end of the High St including the huge Weatherspoons, then there's Richmond just down the road, Whitton, and it's v easy to get into London.........all this dispersal makes it a much nicer place to have a beer than central Cardiff, which although pleasant enough is v small and what pubs there are (especially since the late lamented Vulcan!) are absolutely rammed.....coupled with the early last trains back to England (even on a normal Saturday!) give me Twickenham any time! Smiley

......but Stade de France, now there's a stadium - excellent public transport for one thing, puts the UK (United Kingdom) to shame, back into central Paris in a matter of minutes!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: