22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 13:33:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[144] access for all at Devon stations report
[62] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[38] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[7] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Disused tube tunnels as cycle lanes?  (Read 12254 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 06, 2015, 23:10:49 »

http://www.themovechannel.com/news/stories/abandoned-tube-tunnels-to-become-undeground-cycle-lanes-296/?

London's abandoned Tube tunnels could become underground cycle lanes, if the proposals from one architecture firm are given the green light.

There's Holborn Kingsway to Aldwych and Charing Cross to Green Park (covered by the article) - what more are there?

Only ones I can think of is the deep level District:
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/s/south_kensington_station/index.shtml

and the London Bridge to King William Street:
http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/King_William_Street_1.html

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 09:13:16 »

How about no.
If cyclists are unwilling to use existing facilities where they take a longer route, then why would they want to spend ages getting below ground and back up again adding to journey times?

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 20:56:43 »

Green Park to Charing Cross isn't abandoned. Trains still use it, just not in passenger service. Not to mention the fact that it is deep underground!

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 22:14:35 »

So what is it used for then?
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 22:30:35 »

So what is it used for then?
Turning trains around at Green Park and for film crews who want a working/"up to date" platform etc.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 23:02:42 »

The last Bond film, Skyfall, used the former Jubilee line platforms at Charing Cross. The stations in the film were Temple and Embankment, the former, in real life, having no deep-level tube lines. The stations were also incongruously coloured as Circle and District lines. Again, not deep level lines.

Charing Cross tube station since closure has also been used for the films The Bourne Ultimatum, 28 Weeks Later, Creep, as well as episodes of TV series Spooks and 24.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 13:09:32 »

Seems like a good idea in theory, and might attract cyclists who are nervous of riding in heavy traffic.  I'd be a bit worried on two scores though: Who would continue to finance the upkeep of abandoned tunnels, and keep them illuminated, and, well, just from a personal point of view, I'd find it a bit creepy cycling in an abandoned tunnel! Shocked

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 14:06:24 »

It's an interesting idea but not entirely practicle.

As has been mentioned you'll have to get your bike up and down which will take time. The lengths are relatively short so I would think you could do them on the surface as quick.

Then there are the maintenance and safety issues mentioned by Cynthia.

Good try C+.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 14:26:09 »

Seems like a good idea in theory, and might attract cyclists who are nervous of riding in heavy traffic.  I'd be a bit worried on two scores though: Who would continue to finance the upkeep of abandoned tunnels, and keep them illuminated, and, well, just from a personal point of view, I'd find it a bit creepy cycling in an abandoned tunnel! Shocked

In converting Combe Down Tunnel to a cycleway, most of the practical problems discussed here have been solved - plus they had bats to contend with, which may not be such an issue in central London. Combe Down Tunnel is 1672m long, has no intermediate ventillation, is bendy and has quite a restricted bore. However both ends are (now) at ground level - which really helps! - and it solves a useful problem of getting people out of Bath into the countryside to the south without needing to cycle over a big hill. Not sure that disused tube tunnels score quite so highly on the usefulness front.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 16:30:27 »

I imagine the tunnels would be similar to the Woolwich foot tunnel and Greenwich foot tunnel.

Neither are something I would now considering using alone.  I did start descending the stairs at the northern Woolwich entrance last year, but two things made me turn round: 1. the smell of urine, and 2. a very strange man started pestering me on the stairs about halfway down.  Immediately turned round and waited for the free ferry as I didn't want to be alone in the tunnel with some weirdo(s).

Personally, I wouldn't suggest anything else like this be built.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 19:04:40 »

Think this is loony tunes thinking, cyclists just won't be bothered to go 60 feet down to cycle a mile and the have to com back up 60 feet.

Wheeled transport especially with pneumatic tyres belong on the road, not on a pavement or in a tube tunnel

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 19:47:31 »

At first sight I though this was a student project. Maybe it is, since it won first prize at the London Planning Awards in the "Best Conceptual Project" competition. You can imagine, can't you...

Competitors had to submit three pictures, and fill in a form as follows:
This category is open to submissions such as masterplans, frameworks, concepts, planning briefs or
policy documents (not planning applications or unimplemented permissions). Please demonstrate how
the project fulfills the criteria below. You can use 150 words maximum to answer each criterion.
1. Is visionary and challenges the current status-quo
2. Addresses current local and strategic planning challenges such as housing, climate change, transport, employment and regeneration
3. Contributes to London^s world city status

The awards results page includes a Guardian piece (among others) that concludes thus:
Personally, if I were trying to find a congestion-free way to reach the South Bank from Bloomsbury, I wouldn^t rent a Boris bike at platform level in Holborn station, cycle it five-odd minutes down a tunnel, dock it again and take a lift up to ground level, then rent another Boris bike only to be forced to wheel it across a bridge. It might look like fun for some, but the Underline is about as practical a way of clearing the roads as buying every Londoner their own miniature zeppelin.

Quite.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 19:54:51 by stuving » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 19:50:16 »

I'm not a Londoner, but where do I sign up for my miniature Zeppelin?  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 08:54:21 »

I imagine the tunnels would be similar to the Woolwich foot tunnel and Greenwich foot tunnel.

Neither are something I would now considering using alone.  I did start descending the stairs at the northern Woolwich entrance last year, but two things made me turn round: 1. the smell of urine, and 2. a very strange man started pestering me on the stairs about halfway down.  Immediately turned round and waited for the free ferry as I didn't want to be alone in the tunnel with some weirdo(s).

Personally, I wouldn't suggest anything else like this be built.

Yes, Brucey, I would share your diffidence re personal safety, especially considering that there is probably no mobile signal in these tunnels?  All in all I think this idea's a bit of a non-runner.  (Or even a non-biker...)

Edit note: Quote marks fixed, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 19:30:56 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
basset44

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 09:56:19 »

Hi All,

Not a tube tunnel , but Wales are thinking about it has well

Plans to reopen abandoned Welsh railway tunnel described as an 'exciting opportunity' by Edwina Hart

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/transport-minister-edwina-hart-describes-8632595

Basset
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: