Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:55 Great Malvern to London Paddington
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:11 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
11:37 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
13:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 14:21:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[107] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[39] access for all at Devon stations report
[38] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[15] Cornish delays
[2] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Well done FGW for ticket check  (Read 21965 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 16:33:04 »

yes, there's a right of way from the canalside to the front of the station - but they ought to, with a tad of application, be able to re-route it across the bridge & down platform 1 and across the concourse - especially as there's the lifts available that way now to make it fully accessible
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 17:28:10 »

They could install glass partitions along the length of P1 and P8/P9 with ticket barriers at the end as they have at Victoria (to segregate P2 from the retail outlets their)
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 18:25:21 »

I would have thought that they could reroute the right of way down past the new taxi rank, down the new stairs/lifts, and along the open part of platform 12.  It would be shorter than a deviation via platform 1. The Platform 8/9 right of way could then be extinguished.

1A02 from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) first thing in the morning (and my regular commute) is booked into platform 9 and I do wonder how much of a revenue leak that allows from those boarding at Slough.  I wish there were more on-board checks on that final leg of the journey. The train managers appear reluctant to engage, preferring to check on the penultimate leg from Reading.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 18:35:46 »

Again without wishing to add to the fare avoidance wiki site I have often mentioned at Meet the Manager sessions my 'free' journey back to Maidenhead in the evening which is platform 1 to Maidenhead Platform 1.  Both have no barriers.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 22:02:25 »

yes, there's a right of way from the canalside to the front of the station - but they ought to, with a tad of application, be able to re-route it across the bridge & down platform 1 and across the concourse - especially as there's the lifts available that way now to make it fully accessible

Better still reroute it through the taxi rank and in by the Bakerloo line entrance. 
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 09:01:49 »

There were yellow barriers and full tickets checks at Reading yesterday morning ~07:30 on the access to down to P9/10 on both sides of the bridge.
To catch people coming into the station via un barriered local routes ?
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 09:03:59 »

It's always puzzled me a little bit why several of the platforms at Paddington have remained without ticket barriers - anyone know the reason? Platform 1 is obvious to maintain access to the retail outlets, but 8/9 are a bit of an anomaly...is it something to do with the now defunct taxi rank?

Victoria had a similar problem on platform 2, and, to a lesser extent, platform 7. Both are now ensconced within barriers, albeit somewhat unsightly, but secure.

Edit note: Quote marks fixed, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 00:14:04 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 09:06:31 »

It's always puzzled me a little bit why several of the platforms at Paddington have remained without ticket barriers - anyone know the reason? Platform 1 is obvious to maintain access to the retail outlets, but 8/9 are a bit of an anomaly...is it something to do with the now defunct taxi rank?

Victoria had a similar problem on platform 2, and, to a lesser extent, platform 7. Both are now ensconced within barriers, albeit somewhat unsightly, but secure.

Thanks all for the explanation regards the non-barriered platforms at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains), something that has long puzzled me is now solved!

Edit note: Quote marks fixed, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 00:16:01 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 09:37:30 »

I would have thought that they could reroute the right of way down past the new taxi rank, down the new stairs/lifts, and along the open part of platform 12.  It would be shorter than a deviation via platform 1. The Platform 8/9 right of way could then be extinguished.

Agreed....maybe they'll get around to it...subject to Westminster Council minnions though, no doubt.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 18:00:14 »

There are some excellent TMs(resolve) that enforce the rules of First Class to the letter. Recently on the 16:30 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - TAU» (Taunton - next trains) we had a TM who checked tickets the moment that train left Paddington. His approach was different in the following:

"Would you like to upgrade sir?"

Which seemed a more diplomatic way to go about it. Some paid the upgrade, some moved. First Class was extremely well loaded with perhaps only 4 or 5 seats spare. In Coach K we had just 1 seat spare.

More recently I boarded a train (which I shan't list to protect the staff and the guilty...) and discovered First Class completely full. It was one of those insidious sets with just 1 First Class Coach... So I just perched myself in the vestibule and the TM then saw and recognised me and said:

TM: "I'll go kick'em out then as it's you..."
Me: "What do you mean?!"
TM: "We've been rammed since <redacted> so I got like 30 noobs* down here..."
Me: "Uh oh..."

Que the booting of a large handful of middle age folk... I could do nothing but look at the floor Lips sealed Cry Embarrassed

*noobs is a derogatory term for new players who doesn't know what they're doing - computer gamer talk

Grin Grin Grin Grin
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 18:53:24 »

More recently I boarded a train (which I shan't list to protect the staff and the guilty...) and discovered First Class completely full. It was one of those insidious sets with just 1 First Class Coach... So I just perched myself in the vestibule and the TM(resolve) then saw and recognised me and said:

TM: "I'll go kick'em out then as it's you..."
Me: "What do you mean?!"
TM: "We've been rammed since <redacted> so I got like 30 noobs* down here..."
Me: "Uh oh..."

Que the booting of a large handful of middle age folk... I could do nothing but look at the floor Lips sealed Cry Embarrassed

*noobs is a derogatory term for new players who doesn't know what they're doing - computer gamer talk

.............and that attitude to customers, my friends, may go some way to explain FGW (First Great Western)'s woeful rating for customer service.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2015, 19:02:11 »

Which customers though...I suspect the Trout might be quite keen to give them a good score looking after him
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2015, 21:49:13 »

Which customers though...I suspect the Trout might be quite keen to give them a good score looking after him

There are some excellent TMs(resolve) that enforce the rules of First Class to the letter. Recently on the 16:30 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) - TAU» (Taunton - next trains) we had a TM who checked tickets the moment that train left Paddington. His approach was different in the following:

"Would you like to upgrade sir?"

Which seemed a more diplomatic way to go about it. Some paid the upgrade, some moved. First Class was extremely well loaded with perhaps only 4 or 5 seats spare. In Coach K we had just 1 seat spare.

But the first TM the Trout described would also have looked after him just as well... but would have been more customer orientated to those who he moved from 1st class and would have left the Trout feeling better rather than looking at the floor. 
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 16:12:54 »

I guess I should clarify the case there... Embarrassed

The second TM(resolve) handled the moving of passengers just as well as the first. This was a 'private' conversation that took place in the vestibule. Both me and this TM play the same computer game on the same server; hence their somewhat casual approach to our conversation.

Their way of handling it was - "I'm sorry folks, but I've got First Class ticket holders standing now, I'm going to have to ask you to upgrade or move down to standard now I'm afraid. There are now plenty of seats in Coach B"

A couple did remain and paid to upgrade. Those who moved seemed grateful to be able to sit down on what I'm told was a crushingly overcrowded train. But seemed happy enough that seats were now available in the Country end.

Nevertheless considering how I was dressed (tracksuit & overalls covered in paint and mud - long story!) I just felt socially awkward in that situation. That however was probably an Autistic thing vs. Normal Behavior.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2015, 20:06:29 »

... considering how I was dressed (tracksuit & overalls covered in paint and mud - long story!) ...

Were you trying to be a rainbow trout?  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: