18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:22 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 21:41:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[85] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[75] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[49] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[48] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Season Tickets  (Read 5135 times)
NickB

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2015, 12:04:10 »

So after 5 years of safe travelling I managed to mislay my annual season ticket on Monday morning. I lost it somewhere between entering the station (as i went through the barriers) and being sat in my seat on the train.  I was so sure it would be handed in at Maidenhead but, two days later, it hadn't and I had to concede defeat and order a replacement (duplicate ticket).

This leaves me in the unenviable position of being on my final replacement for the year.  I am in effect carrying ^4000 in cash with me every day, just tucked into my trouser pocket.  Thats 215 working days, or 430 train journeys, or 1720 ticket barrier operations before I am off of probation.

Whilst I understand the logic for not dishing out replacements willy-nilly this has caused me to think about the current scenario some what...

a) If I did lose my duplicate then, in your experience, will i forced to pay for another?  Or will a degree of pragmatism prevail?
b) Given that I am pretty sure that someone is now travelling gratis for a year with my lost ticket it made me question how many times I have been asked to provide my photocard for inspection.  And the answer is... never, in 5 years.  Does that seem wrong to anyone here?
b) Will Crossrail have smartcards so that for TV passengers we can have a 21st century solution to paper tickets?

I also started to think of solutions to this problem and came up with the following:
- For annual season ticket buyers they have the option to pay for a year's travel just like today but are only issued tickets on a rolling 1 month basis.
- Every month they go and collect the next rolling ticket.
- Benefit to the passenger is that they only have to worry about the next 4 weeks rather than a year; and the benefit to the TOC (Train Operating Company) is that they get less ticket fraud.
- And for those worried about the impact to the planet of printing 12 tickets per year rather than 1 I would reply that I already go through more than 12 tickets per year due to de-magnitisation.

I'd be interested in your thoughts!
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 12:25:11 »

More and more TOCs (Train Operating Company) are having the roll out of ITSO smart cards as part of their franchise agreement. I wouldn't be surprised to see a roll out as part of the next franchise agreement that kicks in later this year.

I think your idea has merit,  but think the expansion of smard cards is such that we'll see them become the default method of issuing season (and other) tickets in a few years time.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 12:41:06 »

More and more TOCs (Train Operating Company) are having the roll out of ITSO smart cards as part of their franchise agreement. I wouldn't be surprised to see a roll out as part of the next franchise agreement that kicks in later this year.

I think your idea has merit,  but think the expansion of smard cards is such that we'll see them become the default method of issuing season (and other) tickets in a few years time.

Smart cards beat my idea hands-down.  I didn't realise that this was a potential option and I thought we were stuck with paper until Crossrail or even beyond...
TeaStew

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 13:13:45 »

I also recently lost a season ticket - in my case somewhere between an on board check and home although I suspect it was in the putting away after the check.

In my case though it was a 7day so the loss is better and worse. Better because this isn't the ^1000s for an annual but worse because there are no replacements and if you are lucky enough to have it handed in then it will probably get back to you after the 7days! What is most annoying to me is the lost photocard Sad

As for ticket checks... I have never been asked for the photocard because I always present that for inspection anyway. However I have heard somebody asked "and may I see the photocard for this?" during an inspection. On the other hand a friend of mine presented a season with photocard during an inspection once - the photocard was in one of those ticket wallets and had a collectable football sticker over the photo. Despite the player having a very different skin colour to my friend the inspector thanked him and carried on his way..!

Smart cards seem a utopian future, I cannot wait.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 15:50:56 »

NickB,

Have you considered insuring your Season Ticket? Many home contents policies cover Season Tickets as 'personal money' but with a relatively low limit.

You'd have to inform the insurer of the value to have it specifically covered, for an increased premium.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 16:32:40 »

Thanks for the suggestion.  That could be well worth investigating.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 21:08:50 »

- And for those worried about the impact to the planet of printing 12 tickets per year rather than 1 I would reply that I already go through more than 12 tickets per year due to de-magnitisation.

I'd be interested in your thoughts!

I'm on my third annual ticket since January now, I normally have to replace them 3 or 4 times a year.

My local station has had smart card readers since before I moved to the area in 2010 although they have only just been switched on. No indication of when you can actually start using them though.
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 21:48:08 »

I wonder if those credit cards which offer "purchase protection insurance" cover such eventualities?
Western Enterprise

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 09:52:40 »

I did once ask one of the clerks at the Maidenhead ticket office why we didn't have a smart card system, like the Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) on LT. His response was that there were problems with fraud or something.
This may be because there is no photo-card counterpart with the Oyster.
On the other-hand, there would be no ticket to lose that has to be taken out of it wallet 8 times a day!
I do remember him proudly wearing his RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) badge and tie Lips sealed
W.E
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: