22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 13:41:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[140] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[127] access for all at Devon stations report
[55] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[6] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW Ticket Booking function ignores Trans-Wilts  (Read 3455 times)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2015, 17:09:16 »

I'm not sure whether this should be posted here or in the 'Fares Fair' board.

I am visiting Chippenham in the middle of next week and thought I'd book tickets from EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) via Westbury and Melksham. I was very surprised that the FGW (First Great Western) booking engine does not offer the routing unless I force it - even though it is cheaper (using 2xsingle) and no slower. I first entered EXD to CPM» (Chippenham - next trains) via WSB» (Westbury - next trains), but all it offered me was via WSB and BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains)!

Interestingly though, when forcing the routing via MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains), it offered me a return leg of CPM - TRO» (Trowbridge - next trains) - BTH - BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) - EXD !!

Also, when I re-tried EXD to CPM without the 'go via' option, it did offer me the Melksham route. I thought it may have 'remembered' my previous search, so cleared the cache and, surprise, surprise, the Melksham option was no longer available!

Can anybody explain?

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 17:16:06 »

Doesn't sound that it's loaded as a permitted route - or else all journeys are slower (even by a few minutes) and it's programmed to find the fastest journeys
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 17:35:33 »

Oh well - I've forced the routing and, just for the ride on the way home, I've chosen the CPM» (Chippenham - next trains) - TRO» (Trowbridge - next trains) - BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains) - BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) - EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) routing as I am not in any particular hurry and it is cheaper than CPM - BRI - EXD  Smiley
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 21:35:57 »

WebTIS usually presents journey options based on quickest option, that's the only reasoning I could think of for not showing via Melksham by default.

With the full journey details I could have a look in a bit more detail.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 23:12:04 »

Doesn't sound that it's loaded as a permitted route - or else all journeys are slower (even by a few minutes) and it's programmed to find the fastest journeys

Had a quick look on Journey Planner, and for return journeys in the daytime off-peak (which I think the OP (Original Poster / topic starter) wasn't looking for) it offers all three routeings, plus direct, at the same price. The one direct train is very much quicker, and the Transwilts option slowest despite having fewer changes than going "backwards" to change at Bath.

It's all down to connection times. For the Transwilts it's 45-50 minutes, and at Bristol 30-45, but much less both times to get to Bath and turn back.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: