Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:14 Plymouth to Penzance
09:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
08:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
07:48 Reading to Redhill
08:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 09:17:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[166] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[43] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[38] Cornish delays
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[5] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reversal at Bath Spa  (Read 7503 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 17, 2015, 18:11:50 »

Can a train arriving into Bath Spa from the east (i.e. from Swindon or Westbury) turn round there? How easy is it / how long would it take?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 21:39:45 »

The train would have to shunt forward to the crossovers at the West End and reverse there.  Although the lines between Bath (Oldfield Park) and Bathampton Junction are reversibly signalled the interlocking does not allow a train to reverse mid-section (well not a signalled one anyway).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 21:43:54 »

What purpose does the walking route serve between the running lines at Bath Spa?. I thought it was installed to allow HST (High Speed Train) drivers to change ends, which in the down direction sees the power car off the end of the platform with no space on the near side because of a bridge parapet.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 22:15:44 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 22:05:27 »

The sectional appendix says much the same:

GW105 - UFFINGTON TO FORDGATE VIA BOX
BATH SPA
Down platform. A walkway is provided in the wide-way between the Down and Up Main lines for the use of train crews changing ends where trains are no longer than the equivalent of a 2 + 8 coach HST (High Speed Train) set.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 22:19:00 »

What purpose does the walking route serve between the running lines at Bath Spa?. I thought it was installed to allow HST (High Speed Train) drivers to change ends, which in the down direction sees the power car off the end of the platform with no space on the near side because of a bridge parapet.

I think it may be there to allow Up Trains to terminate in the Down Platform and return West (which the signalling does allow).  When I get a spare moment I will check the signalling interlocking circuits to confirm.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 04:43:07 »

I believe Platform 1 can. Both platforms can be used bi bidirectionally and have been in the past during signal or points failures.

Platform 1 has a Banner Repeater on the East End near the Gateline with a smaller track level signal just before the bridge. On the West End of Platform 1 there is a Banner Repeater + 3 Aspect Signal. A CrossCountry set travels Empty Coaching Stock from Bristol - Bath and reverses there in the morning before heading off to Glasgow Central.

Reversal of a HST (High Speed Train) takes around 10 minutes but can be done in 7 at a serious push. I would not for a moment suggest this be considered standed operating practice.

Reversal of a 2 - 4 Car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) takes considerably less time where we are looking at perhaps 3 - 6 minutes.

I have also seen HSTs terminated at Bath Spa due to faults and then be reversed there and taken back to Bristol on a good power car as ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) moves.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 05:16:04 »

Many thanks so far.  Big help - I'm learning about the art of the possible again  Wink

a) With the various comments, I'm understanding that a Bath terminator would need either to shunt to the west of the station, or (?) to run wrong-line (but it is bidirectional) to Bathampton (?).  Do I have that right?

b) New question(sorry).  Signalling wise, I know that a Chippenham (from the east) terminator can reverse by proceeding out just beyond Thingley ... its been done by taking the train just onto the TransWilts and so leaving the main lines clear.  Within signalling, can such a train proceed to Melksham on the single track and reverse at the platform there?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 06:12:53 »

I believe the signalling between Thingley and Bradford North requires a train that enters the section to leave it. Something to do with 'slots' and handing over from Swindon Panel (at Didcot TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about)) to Westbury PSB (Power Signal Box).

Knowledge only based on SimSig mind!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 11:02:56 »

Reversal of a HST (High Speed Train) takes around 10 minutes but can be done in 7 at a serious push. I would not for a moment suggest this be considered standed operating practice.

About reversal times with HST's. Although only 2+7, XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) HST's are timetabled (Both working and Public) to reverse at Gloucester in 7 minutes. This appears to be standard, though I believe FGW (First Great Western) drivers like to do a brake continuity check when they reverse HST's. This adds a few minutes to reversals but as no alteration has been made to the 'continuity' either by isolating brakes, adding/removing vehicle(s) or allowing the brake pressure to fall by switching off the Power Cars I do not think this brake check is strictly needed.

Just a thought above, but 7 minutes is a realistic time. The 10 minutes is overstated I believe and if this was a Rule Book issue why do XC Drivers NOT have to do it?

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 12:36:01 »

The Timetable Planning Rules give a standard minimum reversal time (allowance) for HSTs on GW (Great Western) routes as 7 minutes, or 5 with a crew change. Some stations may have longer times specified.

That 7 minutes is the figure quoted at Bedminster, for example, but no reversal time is given for Bath Spa.

Turnround time is usually longer, though no general minimum is given for GW routes. For example, it is 20 minutes for an HST at Swindon - oddly, at Didcot Parkway it is only 7 minutes.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:50:27 by stuving » Logged
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 18:40:56 »

Reversal Westbound needed today due bridge bash at Trowbridge
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 19:13:50 »

Still have to look at the signalling circuits for Eastbound reversal in the Westbound platform.  Both platforms can be used for terminating Eastbound trains and turning them back West but that is not the question that Grahame is asking Roll Eyes
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 19:52:52 »

Still have to look at the signalling circuits for Eastbound reversal in the Westbound platform.  Both platforms can be used for terminating Eastbound trains and turning them back West but that is not the question that Grahame is asking Roll Eyes

Exactly right ... I'm looking to learn where trains headed out from Swindon via Chippenham can turn back.    At-platform, the first places I know are Bristol Temple Meads and Westbury.  I think it's also possible at Thingley Junction, between Bradford Junction and Trowbridge, and at Bathampton.   The big questions are Bath and Melksham.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 20:02:52 »

Now had a look at the signalling interlocking controls and respond as follows:

Bath: Turnback Westbound to Eastbound in Down platform at Bath:  No.  Have to shunt to Bristol side of crossovers at West end of station and then return to Down platform before heading East on the Down line towards Bathampton.  Same principle for the Up platform.

This is to do with the way the reversible signalling controls work.

Melksham: Turnback on branch at Melksham station:  Yes.  Possible in both directions (from Thingley Junction or from Bradford Junction).  This section of line is fitted with an axle counter so trains can be counted in and out in either direction at either end.

Edit (19/02/2015): The statements above represent the situation as it was with the records that I have access to dated 2002.  It is possible that things may have changed since then but I would of become aware of that through other ways so I am confident what I have stated above is correct.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 13:33:42 by SandTEngineer » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 21:45:19 »

Now had a look at the signalling interlocking controls and respond as follows:

Bath:

Melksham:

Many thanks - helps learn the art of the possible; starting to think about life in the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) age and see them against our passenger flows in Wiltshire.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: