Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 07:07:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strikes by FGW RMT members 27/3/15 and Easter weekend  (Read 12453 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 12:03:34 »

Indeed, if there was something reasonable in this case, you'd expect the odd abstention....
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 15:11:22 »

We never know the full and true facts behind disciplinary action, but only what we pick up from the media, or even the Forum.  Nowadays, sacking seems to be the first option with much of today's management.    This is rife in the NHS also, I think, with a bullying attitude.    Many managers today don't understand anything about man-management like previous management did, and which only serves to lower morale.  If you want to get the best results from people you treat them fairly and, when required, strictly.
Having low morale is detrimental to people's performance.
However, I'm not saying that any disciplinary lapse should be condoned, but agree that the most serious may very well warrant the sack.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 16:26:13 »

"We can confirm that a member of staff was recently dismissed for allowing the doors of a train to remain open while in passenger service, and failing to report the incident to anyone for over a month,^ added James Davis, media relations manager for First Great Western".

Sounds like there are two factors - the incident (a serious H & S breach) and the failure to report it..........I'm trying to think of a parallel in my own industry and/or others that I've worked in which would justify dismissal and there are a few, but as others have said we don't know the "Brother" in question's previous record etc

Unfortunately all the rhetoric from the Union about "bullying" and "victimisation", "staff being treated like dirt" is often their own take on assertive/firm management which is often needed but they are duty bound to fight the corner of their (newly found!) and loyal member, Brother Capsall!

To me, purely on what's been reported, it's a very serious H&S (Health and Safety) breach compounded by a failure to report it, there are a lot of situations where the reward would be a P45, but I guess we'll get the full story in due course.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 16:50:36 »

Now, will the sleeper run Easter Monday?

And what other services will be disrupted?
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 18:16:34 »

The sleeper is run by Exeter train crew so shouldn't be affected.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 18:20:37 »

Now, will the sleeper run Easter Monday?

Normally the sleeper driver and train manager are Exeter-based and work down on an early evening service.  Not sure about the other on board staff.

"We can confirm that a member of staff was recently dismissed for allowing the doors of a train to remain open while in passenger service, and failing to report the incident to anyone for over a month,^ added James Davis, media relations manager for First Great Western".

I haven't seen any reports which state where this happened.  However if it was after leaving a station one assumes platform staff (if it was a staffed station) and in any event the train conductor/TM(resolve) would have been aware/involved.  As far as I am aware there are no driver only trains in the West Country.  Something doesn't seem to add up to me.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 10:34:10 »

He *is* a Train Manager isn't he?
the void

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 13:04:18 »

FASTLINE: Response to RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) vote in Penzance
Dear colleague,
Earlier this month, the RMT notified us of the result of its ballot of Penzance train crew depot over the dismissal of Train Manager XXXXXXXX.

I want to explain to you why XXXXXXX has been dismissed. He was the Train Manager on a high speed train and he did not follow the correct process for dispatching the train. He did not look out of the window as the train departed and as a result the train departed with a door wide open. When he realised that the door was open XXXXXXX reached out of the train and closed the door while the train was on the move. He made no attempt to stop the train. He then failed to lock the door out of use or report the incident meaning that the train remained in service with a damaged door in use. A particularly important factor in the decision to dismiss XXXXXXXX was the fact that he made no attempt to report the incident for 41 days.

While we recognise that safety incidents can happen while staff are working on our trains, we rely on the professionalism and honesty of colleagues to ensure the safety of our customers. XXXXXXXXX's failure to report the incident has led to a fundamental breakdown of trust between himself and the company.

First Great Western has followed our agreed processes. We also agreed with the RMT to undertake a Director^s review of the case over and above our normal processes. This review upheld the original decision to dismiss XXXXXXXX due to the serious safety issues involved and his failure to report the incident.

Given the serious safety issues involved I am disappointed that the RMT ballot has resulted in a vote for strike action and action short of a strike. The RMT has instructed its members in the Driver, Train Manager and Conductor grades at Penzance not to book on for any shifts that commence between;

^   0400 hours on Friday 27 March  until 0359 hours on Saturday 28 March 2015; and
^   0600 hours on Sunday 5 April until 0559 hours on Tuesday 7 April 2015.

The RMT has also instructed its members not to work any overtime from 0400 hours on Friday 27 March 2015.

XXXXXXXX could have injured himself. He could have injured a customer. He could have injured you.

I am not prepared to defend such behaviour, and I am extremely disappointed that the RMT feels the need to do so, particularly as XXXXXXXXX was not a member of the RMT at the time of the incident. FGW (First Great Western) colleagues are now in a situation where they will be penalised financially for supporting a colleague who not only acted recklessly but was also not a member of their union at the time.

I will be taking every action to ensure that FGW continues to run a good train service for customers on the days when RMT industrial action is taking place.

Ben Rule
Operations Director
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 18:08:05 »

Having read that it (and assuming the facts are accurate) he would seem to be bang to rights.......so where do the Union get the treating staff like dirt/bullying/victimisation line from? Or is it just good old fashioned Grandstanding?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 19:30:20 »

Yes, based on that letter it does appear that dismissal is a just penalty.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 23:35:29 »

An update, from the West Briton:

Rail passengers in Cornwall could face delays over Easter as staff prepare for two-day strike

Rail passengers across Cornwall could face delays over the Easter weekend as staff prepare for a two-day strike in protest against the dismissal of a colleague.

Rail union RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) confirmed today that the second phase of industrial action concerning a dispute with First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)) will see staff at the Penzance station walkout for 48 hours from Easter Sunday.

Around 50 FGW staff failed to turn up for work last week with some RMT union members picketing outside the station as part of the 24-hour industrial action. The staff are rallying round a former employee who they say was harshly treated by FGW.

The next walkout will start from 6am on Sunday and last until 5.59am on Tuesday April 7.

RMT general secretary, Mick Cash, said: "It is their refusal to enter into meaningful talks that have left us with no option but to press on with a second wave of strike action over the Easter weekend. RMT will not allow this culture to go unchallenged and the union will defend our individual members and the principle of workplace justice. The union remains available for talks in this dispute."

A spokesperson for FGW said there was no disruption to rail services due to last week's strike and they expected the Easter action to have no impact on journeys.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2015, 06:54:44 »

Looking at the map this morning, it seems as this could be having an effect today.

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2015, 08:21:53 »

As is often the way, it is a fluid situation and already one train (the 12:05 from Penzance to Exeter St Davids) has been reinstated.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2015, 10:42:58 »

............I take it that this is down to the strike action?

Due to a member of train crew being unavailable between Par and Newquay:

Impact:

Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled. An estimate for the resumption of normal services will be provided as soon as the problem has been fully assessed.
Customer Advice:

As a result of the unavailability of some members of train crew we are unable to operate any train services between Par and Newquay today.
Road transport will operate instead of train services but please note that it will operate from and to St Austell railway station and not from and to Par.
Any customers travelling from the Plymouth / Liskeard direction who would normally change at Par for train services to Newquay should remain on their train and change at St Austell station instead. Similarly, any customers travelling from the Penzance / Truro direction to stations on the Newquay line should alight at St Austell and not Par.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2015, 16:31:16 »

Several falmouth branch services were affected this morning, and newquay branch services all day.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: