15:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Delayed
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 09:12:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[88] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[73] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[54] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[47] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[27] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RTT and the 0740 PGN to PAD - 03/06  (Read 2968 times)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2015, 12:22:20 »

Probably starting a thread over nothing - so apologies if so!

RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) stated that the 0740 PGN to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) this morning was not stopping at either Starcross or Exeter St Thomas, despite timetabled to do so. I was out with my camera on the Exe estuary this glorious morning and saw the 0740 clearly stop for a couple of minutes at Starcross at its timetabled time of 0825!

Was this a mistake on RTT or did the driver inadvertently stop at Starcross after a decision was made not to stop?

How are last minute changes to the WTT (Working Time-Table) communicated to Realtimetrains?
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 13:17:05 »

There were no alterations to this service today.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 16:50:43 »

The train did stop at Starcross and Exeter St Thomas. What you have highlighted however is the limitation of using train describer data for train running information. When signals are located at the ends and just before a station platform, it can have an impact on the information available.

For example at Starcross the signal is just before the platform and as such the HST (High Speed Train) because it is longer than the platform this impacts on the movement of the train describer to report an arrival, therefore the arrival reports when the train is just departing and the train describer jumps from the signal before the platform to the one after. This causes a pass report, as the arrival is reported as being after the departure.

However at Exeter St Thomas the signal is right at the end of the platform, and again as the HST is longer than the platform it goes past the signal to ensure Coach A is on the platform, this therefore results in a pass report being triggered as the departure report is reported before the train has reported as arriving.

This has been fixed for the next release, see the attachments - not without some assumptions, you must understand though.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 18:56:05 »

Thanks Louise94 for this explanation - I look forward to the next release.

HOWEVER..... Realtimetrains was reporting the train as 'Not Stopping' at both SCS and EXT several minutes before the train actually reached Starcross, which is what prompted my query.
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 19:06:34 »

Thanks Louise94 for this explanation - I look forward to the next release.

HOWEVER..... Realtimetrains was reporting the train as 'Not Stopping' at both SCS and EXT several minutes before the train actually reached Starcross, which is what prompted my query.

What you are reporting isn't possible, the only way to report a 'Not Stopping' is the way I previously stated.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: