Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
16:35 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Delayed
14:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
14:48 London Paddington to Swansea
14:53 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 16:06:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[106] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[94] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[93] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[83] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[32] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: An extra service to Frome from May 2015. Potential for another???  (Read 8198 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 21, 2015, 07:59:26 »

The TransWilts timetable changes this May - a Monday to Friday run is extended to and from Frome (arrive 13:43, leave 14:04), and the Sunday TransWilts service is recast.   Both are excellent moves, both for the improvements they provide and showing an integrattion of the current trial service on the TransWilts with other services (the Sunday changes) and lines (the Monday to Friday extension).  See http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15401.0 for more detailed post.

The question arises "so - can there be any other similiar gains" and I take a look at the possibility of starting the 07:33 from Westbury back at Frome at 07:23 - this would give an extra peak train from Frome in the 07:04 to 08:02 gap, and give an extra (connectional) arrival into Bristol at 08:29 - between the 08:06 and 09:06.   Coming the other way, extending the 17:36 from Swindon to give a Frome arrival at 18:31 would fill their 17:49 to 18:49 gap, giving an extra Bristol departure at 17:23 (by connection) between the 16:49 and 17:49.

A quick glance at the timetable shows the 17:36 from Swindon arriving into Westbury at 18:21, and an 18:32 departure back to Swindon.  However, this is the time of day at which the "unit switch" for the TransWilts service is made, so it is not the same train.

I'm straying a little out of my county asking this question, but there is a significant commuter flow from Frome to various places beyond Westbury, including some to Swindon, and a peak through train would, I suspect, generate extra traffic and use a unit that's available at the time.  What do others think? Is this a suggestion worth making, or a silly idea?

Edit to correct typo
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:28:14 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 10:59:34 »

Frome is out on a limb a little bit, but my experience is that the little station provides plenty of passengers for each train, and plugging gaps in the service (such as that that will be plugged around the 2pm mark) only makes the station more attractive to its residents.  Minor tweaks leading to quick wins can be as important as more comprehensive changes sometimes!

The changes you suggest, sound, in principle, excellent ideas - especially the morning tweak.  Though that one would require an alteration to the drivers diagram (and maybe the guards as well?) as they are currently having their PNB (Personal Needs Break) (Physical Needs Break - in other words their break!) at the earlier time they would have to be taking the set off of Westbury depot.  That might not be too difficult to change, but it does show that it's not always as easy as just having a train and a path.

I've attached the relevant drivers diagram, so you can see what I mean:

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 12:07:32 »

Much appreciate that feedback and insight - I'm aware of the break issues in principle, but staff rotas are more difficult to deduce than train rotas so at best it's an educated guess.   Another guess (on that same rota) suggests to me that moving the 08:49 ex Swindon to 08:36 would also be a break issue  Embarrassed - pity, as that's another "small change, big improvement" candidate as it would make southbound commuting more attractive, and (as I'm posting in Heart of Wessex) also provide a connection onward to Frome and stations to Weymouth which would be greatly used in summer!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 17:02:12 »

Frome is out on a limb a little bit, but my experience is that the little station provides plenty of passengers for each train, and plugging gaps in the service (such as that that will be plugged around the 2pm mark) only makes the station more attractive to its residents.  Minor tweaks leading to quick wins can be as important as more comprehensive changes sometimes!

The changes you suggest, sound, in principle, excellent ideas - especially the morning tweak.  Though that one would require an alteration to the drivers diagram (and maybe the guards as well?) as they are currently having their PNB (Personal Needs Break) (Physical Needs Break - in other words their break!) at the earlier time they would have to be taking the set off of Westbury depot.  That might not be too difficult to change, but it does show that it's not always as easy as just having a train and a path.

I've attached the relevant drivers diagram, so you can see what I mean:

Do Gloucester crews work all the Trans-Wilts or are not Westbury involved at all.
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 17:49:31 »

Westbury & Gloucester both sign the Melksham branch.

Here, there and Everywhere!!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 15:06:17 »

Yes, and if breaks are tight they'd be nothing stopping one of the Westbury drivers being rostered to bring the train off the depot and take it to Frome and back to Westbury to be relieved by the Gloucester driver to take it on to Swindon.  That's if there's any slack in the Westbury drivers allocations at that time of the morning of course.  I guess my point was that whilst shuffling round the guards and drivers is probably not an insurmountable task, it does need to be considered.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 19:14:40 »

Yes, and if breaks are tight they'd be nothing stopping one of the Westbury drivers being rostered to bring the train off the depot and take it to Frome and back to Westbury to be relieved by the Gloucester driver to take it on to Swindon.  That's if there's any slack in the Westbury drivers allocations at that time of the morning of course.  I guess my point was that whilst shuffling round the guards and drivers is probably not an insurmountable task, it does need to be considered.

Does that mean that Gloucester drivers are actually diagrammed to all services via Melksham rather than shared with Westbury ?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 19:24:09 by phile » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 22:24:56 »

No, as ReWind said both Gloucester and Westbury depots have drivers that sign the route through Melksham.

Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 07:42:36 »

No, as ReWind said both Gloucester and Westbury depots have drivers that sign the route through Melksham.
They may sign it but not actually have booked worked over it, just in case of diversions etc.? Although there would probably need to be alot of route learning services to allow the other group to refresh their route knowledge if that was the case.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 11:24:46 »

Both Westbury and Gloucester drivers and guards both have booked work over the Melksham line.
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 15:56:25 »

Thanks for the reply I was looking for.  Cleared it up now.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 16:29:47 by phile » Logged
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 21:06:00 »

Agree mostly with all the timetable points here... But there are some considerations to be made in terms of the existing offering.

Coming the other way, extending the 17:36 from Swindon to give a Frome arrival at 18:31 would fill their 17:49 to 18:49 gap, giving an extra Bristol departure at 17:23 (by connection) between the 16:49 and 17:49.

I could see this causing problems for 2 reasons.

the 19:06 Frome - Bristol Temple Meads train is booked to arrive at 19:00 and sit in the station for 6 minutes. This allows an UP London Paddington train the chance to overtake IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly).

The 18:49 Frome - Weymouth is a peak time train from Bath Spa & Bristol Temple Meads and is usually a few minutes late...

This leaves the risk possible for an 18:31 arrival being say 10 minutes late. You then have another 2 trains, 1 each in opposite directions all wanting a path in Frome in addition to anything InterCity grade on the avoiding lines. So what do you do to prevent that 19:06 from hogging the UP line thus meaning the InterCity service needs to slow down or stop completely around the Witham Friary area?

We know that what should happen is allow the 19:06 into the station and get the 18:31 and 18:49s to sit at the signals in the branch lines... The 18:49 also connects at Castle Cary for an Exeter St Davids / Plymouth* train so delay to this is bad news for anyone wanting to go anywhere near Penzance Roll Eyes

I don't think it's a silly idea. But I could see FGW (First Great Western) having some justified concerns to the punctuality of their Long Distance services. Perhaps for the more insidious reasons that trains through Frome aren't well known for their timekeeping except a small handful of trains which are either on time or cancelled in full Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: