Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:14 Plymouth to Penzance
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
07:48 Reading to Redhill
08:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 08:56:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[128] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[49] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] Cornish delays
[25] access for all at Devon stations report
[16] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[5] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotswold Line 90% fare increases from 17 May 2015  (Read 38249 times)
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« on: April 20, 2015, 16:21:30 »

This isn't good.

* Off-Peak easement removed from 17.22, 17.52 and 18.22 from Paddington. Anytime tickets now required.
* Off-Peak Return price increased.
* New Super Off-Peak Return ticket introduced at a similar price to the old Off-Peak, valid from mid-morning (London-bound), not valid on 15.52-18.22 from Paddington.
* Some Off-Peak Day Return tickets removed entirely.

So an out-and-back journey on the Cathedrals Express from Charlbury to Paddington (out 08.31, back 18.22) increases from ^33.30 to ^62.40 - an increase of almost 90%.

The evening easement is a long-standing relaxation to recognise that the Cotswold Line has fewer trains, therefore fewer journey opportunities, than the "main lines" - one departure from Paddington between 18.00 and 19.00, vs five to Swindon or Oxford. There are also no Advance fares available on the Cotswold Line. (edited)

I'll leave others to speculate on the political sensibility of a 90% "stealth increase" from David Cameron's local station just ten days after the election.

Confirmed by @FGW (First Great Western) on Twitter. Hat-tip to original source.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 16:34:51 by Richard Fairhurst » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 16:28:02 »

Advance fares will be available for travel after May 17....
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 16:38:24 »

Thanks, corrected. I can't actually see any showing up on the journey-planner but I'll take your word for it...
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 16:49:49 »

Slightly unfortunate timing on a day when the service on the line has collapsed due to a points problem at Wolvercot.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 17:13:58 »

Thanks, corrected. I can't actually see any showing up on the journey-planner but I'll take your word for it...

Sometime this week, I was told
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 17:55:19 »

Ouch. I hope this makes the press before the election. I'd like to see the Tories justify these increases when they've just made a manifesto commitment to freeze fare rises.

Looks to me like a cynical move by FGW (First Great Western), probably in cahoots with the DfT» (Department for Transport - about), to get the fares rise in before the next Parliament and before any manifesto commitment goes 'live'. I really hope this doesn't stay under the radar and I've a good mind, even though not directly affected, to contact the press in the areas affected by this shameful price gouging.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 18:42:57 »

Been underpriced for years compared with fares for similar distances elsewhere on the GWML (Great Western Main Line). Not excusing ot by a mile, just suggesting that'll likely be their defence. I would suggest waiting until you see how many Advance fares become available & whether they sell out though
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 19:03:35 »

Advance fares are a different product, quota controlled, with different conditions, no refunds and zero flexibility. If FGW (First Great Western) suggest they are a suitable alternative to massively increased walk-up fares, they are misguided at best and deliberately obfuscatory at worst.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 19:30:28 »

..and where is the constituency David Cameron is defending?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 19:45:56 »

I think he's a shoe-in for MP (Member of Parliament) whatever happens.

As for PM... woluldn't wanna call that one.  Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 20:09:09 »

It seems a brave decision for FGW (First Great Western) to take just a few months before Oxford Parkway opens.

It also seems a brave decision given that some people will no doubt choose not to linger so long in London, and instead get the last through train before the peak restrictions start. That'll be the infamous 15.52...
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 20:32:31 »

So an out-and-back journey on the Cathedrals Express from Charlbury to Paddington (out 08.31, back 18.22) increases from ^33.30 to ^62.40 - an increase of almost 90%.

The evening easement is a long-standing relaxation to recognise that the Cotswold Line has fewer trains, therefore fewer journey opportunities, than the "main lines" - one departure from Paddington between 18.00 and 19.00, vs five to Swindon or Oxford. There are also no Advance fares available on the Cotswold Line. (edited)

Similar distance from Swindon to Paddington, but the out and back fare for that is almost exactly twice as much as your new increased price (^124) so I really do not see what you have got complain about. 
jdw.wor
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 07:52:38 »

Worcester's service is not comparable with Swindon's. There is still a two hour gap in services and it is mighty slow, averaging out at about 2hrs. 20mins for the through trip. You are not comparing like with like. In other areas of life I am sure you would accept that a low quality product should not be charged at the same level as a higher quality one.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 09:47:51 »

I wondered how long it would be before the "I pay more, so why shouldn't you?" argument was raised.

Seem the exact same justification for this price gouging on other forums.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 10:20:31 »

And why shouldn't fares be based on a similar pence-per-mile cost?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: