Delayed
18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
20:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 21:57:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[86] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[28] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotswold Line 90% fare increases from 17 May 2015  (Read 38238 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 23:19:30 »

That's ^9 per person for the train tickets. Fuel costs and wear and tear would be per car. Two people in the car and you would be saving.

^18 to cover return fuel & wear & tear from Worcester area to W/Parkway? Kidding, aren't you?!!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 23:22:23 »

Online fuel calculators suggest around ^10 for the round trip.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2015, 08:43:56 »

Online fuel calculators suggest around ^10 for the round trip.

Correct on the fuel front, it's roughly a 60 mile round trip, so most average cars will use a bit less than a 2 of gallons of fuel. If you drive something more fuel efficient (lots of car do 50mpg+ now), then it's down to ^5-6.

Wear & tear on tyres is minimal, 60 miles is maybe a 500th of the life of an average quality tyre on an average car, so you're looking at 40-50p (for 4 tyres) on a 60 mile journey. I think you can safely factor out other running costs such as road fund licence, insurance & depreciation as most people will have the car sitting on their drive anyway and have no choice but to pay, regardless of amount of use. In fact, increased use will reduce the cost per mile over ownership.

I went through these calculations in some considerable detail last year when deciding my most cost-effective mode of transport and it is tough to find a train journey (at peak-ish times) that cannot be done cheaper (and in many cases quicker) by car, even with a single occupant, obviously dependent on the convenience factor involved for any given journey - parking, potential congestion etc.

Edit - my final comments regards road vs rail cost are based on a relatively close journey in both cases - for me it was M4 versus South Wales to Paddington then outer-west London by train, so it was a reasonable comparison, but is somewhat off-topic, so please move to another thread if the discussion continues!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 11:17:00 by chrisr_75 » Logged
Unixman

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2015, 09:01:47 »

You do have to take into account car parking charges - currently ^7 pd for peak times at Parkway. Given that Worcester parking is either difficult ( Shrub Hill - unless you use Wickes !) or non-existent ( Foregate Street), most people arrange to be dropped off there.   
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2015, 10:53:15 »

In reality it depends where you're coming from, of course. If you live a couple of minutes' walk from Foregate Street you'll probably reluctantly pay the increase - the time and money to drive to Warwick Parkway is considerable. But if you live in the countryside with equal access to the Cotswold and Chiltern lines, this could well tip you over the edge towards Chiltern.

At this end of the line, I suspect that - of people who actually live in Charlbury - 50% will move to other trains, 20% will pay the new fare, 20% will go elsewhere and maybe 10% will look for advance tickets. (Entirely arbitrary figures - just a guess.)

But what of those who live in "the hinterland" - Woodstock, Chipping Norton, and around West Oxfordshire? Based on a comparison of likely fares, I'd guess 90% of those affected by these changes will go straight to Oxford Parkway.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2015, 17:29:11 »

These scandalous rises will just result in more frustrated commuters switching to Warwick Parkway. Chiltern did a survey of usage and were shocked at the distances people drive: Worcester, Wychavon, Bromsgrove, Redditch and even parts of SHROPSHIRE. All these people could be using Worcester or Evesham.

I bet Chiltern are rubbing their hands with glee with Oxford Parkway soon to open! Are FGW (First Great Western) stupid, or haven't they got the memo? Grin

I don't use the line anyone; this is yet another development that will decrease the likelihood of me using it again. Chiltern offer good value, simple walk up tickets that are valid on a lot of trains. Why would I risk being crammed into a Thames Turbo with broken air con waiting at Evesham for the single line to clear?
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2015, 18:45:38 »

And to think that all we lucky people in the brizzle area, will have these hand me down turbos with broken air con cascaded down to us, as neither the red/yellow party or the blue/orange/purple party will have enough money to pay for refurbishment.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2015, 21:24:36 »

From Mail Online:

Rail firms under fire for planning fare hikes of up to 87% that are due to come in just ten days after the election despite main parties vowing price freeze

PM has written to First Great Western asking for 'urgent review' of fare hike
  • Passengers in his Witney constituency could face increases of up to 87%
  • Comes after Mr Cameron pledged to freeze fares for whole of next term
  • Other sharp hikes include Virgin's service between Stafford and Liverpool

Rail firms came under fire this weekend for planning a series of fare hikes of up to 87 per cent just ten days after the general election - despite the main party leaders pledging to freeze prices.

The Prime Minister has requested First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)) 'urgently review' its decision to almost double some fares on the route between London and the Cotswolds - which passes through his Witney constituency.

Mr Cameron has promised to freeze fares in real terms for the whole of the next parliament, while Labour has also pledged to bring in a 'cap' on price hikes.

Passengers travelling from Charlbury, the Oxfordshire station nearest to his constituency home, can currently purchase an off-peak return to London costing ^33.30.

This allows them to leave at 9.42am, outside the morning peak, but return on one of the four services that go from London during the evening peak period.

But from May 17, these customers will be forced to pay ^62.40 if they want to come home on one of these trains - an 87 per cent increase.

The planned changes have angered Mr Cameron's constituents - prompting him to personally intervene.

The Prime Minister's spokesman told The Sunday Times: 'Mr Cameron has written to First Great Western and asked them to urgently review their decision.'

Train companies have three windows every year in which they can increase 'unregulated' fares, which make up around half of their total revenue.

Unregulated fares can include journeys such as off-peak leisure and advance-purchase tickets.

First Great Western has insisted the reason for the change is to bring the north Cotswolds route in line with its other services.

The firm is also offering some customers a cheaper option in advanced single tickets, potentially allowing them to buy a return for ^20 if they book ahead.

Other sharp price hikes to be introduced include an off-peak first-class single from Crewe to Northampton on London Midlands, which will rise from ^30 to ^37, according to trainsplit.com - a website that provides passengers with cheaper ticket options.

The cost of an anytime return between Stafford and Liverpool, travelling with Virgin, will leap from ^26.50 to ^33 - a 24.5 per cent hike.

And an anytime first-class day return on Virgin from Manchester to Stoke will go up 22 per cent - rising from ^29 to ^35.30.
Virgin has said the 'vast majority' of its price hikes affected 'Virgin Trains-only fares' - which are at least 20 per cent cheaper than tickets offered by rival firms.

It added: 'Our overall fare increase this year on the west coast is just 1.65 per cent, well below the industry average.'
Speaking to Mark Hookham of The Sunday Times, Mike Richardson, of trainsplit.com, said: 'Passengers might very well be surprised at these fare increases when both the main parties have talked about price freeezes.

According to Which? Hundreds of 'anytime' and 'off-peak' returns rose by 40 per cent in January.

Its research found rail fare increases on tickets that passengers buy on the day and on rural routes. 

The previous government has just gifted First a 4 year franchise without competition and this is how they repay that generosity. By screwing over their customers. Too right David Cameron should ask what the hell FGW think they are playing at.  Angry Angry Angry

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2015, 21:45:58 »

I am sorry to seem unsympathetic, perhaps it is because even after this change the prices seem such good value to those used to normal long distance prices, but I really do not understand why first or their predecessors were ever offering off peak tickets on what are, by any measure, peak hour services. 

Whatever you think you are still getting some of the cheapest fares on FGW (First Great Western)!

If this change is a problem then it is only the problem of the complete unfairness of the whole fares system as we have it.  If you don't like this chage then argue for a flat rate per mile.

Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2015, 21:53:35 »

The 19.39 arrival at Swindon is off-peak. The 19.45 arrival at Oxford is off-peak. The 19.41 arrival at Charlbury will be peak, with another hour's wait until the first off-peak. That is not, by any stretch, "bringing the Cotswolds into line with other routes" as FGW (First Great Western) claim.

I can understand the rationale for making the 17.22 and 17.52 departures from Paddington peak-only, though I don't agree with it. But the 18.22 leaves Paddington just a few minutes before the peak ends on other FGW inter-city routes - routes which have a much more frequent service. I think if you were to ask most Cotswold passengers they'd prefer a retiming 10 minutes later so that it slipped outside the peak boundary.

Of course, this being the Cotswold Line, we usually get a 10-minute delay anyway. Angry
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2015, 21:56:38 »

The fares are partly based on the service provision. A flat rate per mile is not the answer.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2015, 22:41:52 »

The words "fare increase" or "fare increases" seem to be getting thrown about in this topic, but don't they only change in January (other than Advances which can vary from train to train)? Reading the details, would I be right in saying that the fares are actually unchanged, but they are changing the validity of off-peak tickets meaning some passengers will need to pay the 'Anytime' fare instead?

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2015, 23:00:58 »

Unregulated fares can be changed in January, May and September. Regulated fares are nearly always changed in January, but don't have to be. They can be changed at the other fares rounds as long as the minimum time between changes is 12 months.

I think its semantics not to refer to the changes as an increase though. Although my own preference to describe this particular change is 'blatant price gouging'.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2015, 07:10:11 »

In addition, the fares are being changed - it's much more than just a change to the restrictions on codes 4N and P7. Off-Peak prices are going up and Super Off-Peak tickets are being introduced with restricted validity. Some Off-Peak tickets have been withdrawn entirely.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2015, 07:40:15 »

A cut down version of the Mail Online story quoted above has appeared in today's Metro. That should bring the story to a wider audience and inform more users of the Cotswolds Line just what they're in for next month.

Hopefully more influential voices added to the PM's call for an 'urgent review'.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: