Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:26:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[101] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[87] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[32] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[31] access for all at Devon stations report
[19] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[16] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Today's MAJOR failure (30/04/15)  (Read 18624 times)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2015, 11:02:30 »

, the trackside is a hostile environment even for seasoned and well equipped railway staff; disembarking passengers is the last resort it may have been uncomfortable on the train but down on the track the risk of serious injury is very high.

Although the track environment becomes much less hostile once live conductor rails and moving trains are taken out of the equation. Although presumably once you have passengers trackside you potentially delay getting power back on and trains moving again.  

The hotel power donkey engine in the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) is a good idea.  It will not be infallible though and I would hope that there are also an option for emergency window opening or if not, a procedure for say opening a door but using a staff member or some kind of physical barrier to prevent people getting off.    
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2015, 11:03:14 »

I agree that comparing road incidents with rail ones isn't that helpful. Neither though is comparing rail incidents to cats stuck in trees.  Tongue

The question was asked further up the thread as to whether a charge would be levied against NR» (Network Rail - home page)/TOC (Train Operating Company) for utilising the emergency services in a non emergency situation - I was using the example of a cat stuck up a tree as a scenario where the caller could be charged by the Emergency services for their assistance, I wasn't being flippant.........although I did once rescue an unwilling cat from a tree and afterwards looked like I'd been savaged by a tiger so I guess it could go either way!!!  Cheesy
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2015, 11:11:59 »

I agree that comparing road incidents with rail ones isn't that helpful. Neither though is comparing rail incidents to cats stuck in trees.  Tongue

The question was asked further up the thread as to whether a charge would be levied against NR» (Network Rail - home page)/TOC (Train Operating Company) for utilising the emergency services in a non emergency situation - I was using the example of a cat stuck up a tree as a scenario where the caller could be charged by the Emergency services for their assistance, I wasn't being flippant.........although I did once rescue an unwilling cat from a tree and afterwards looked like I'd been savaged by a tiger so I guess it could go either way!!!  Cheesy

The rail industry is enough of a money go round anyway.  NR is a public body paid for by the tax payer.  So are the emergency services.  Is there an overall net benefit of one public body sending an invoice to another?  Unless it results in a tax cut or an improvement to public services I'd suggest that it would be a pointless exercise.   
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2015, 11:23:02 »

Fire Service is paid through Council Tax whereas NR» (Network Rail - home page) is via general taxation (although isn't it actually making a profit now?)

So, you could nominally get a higher council tax (or council cuts elsewhere) is not refunded by NR
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2015, 13:28:55 »

LU first responders to an incident are BTP (British Transport Police) and LFB, the ERU back this up.  The ERU is not a big team.

The track is a hostile environment even without live third rail and when trains have stopped, the ground is uneven, loose cable trough lids, cables, walking on ballast even with safety boots on is not easy with street shoes there is a high injury risk (this not mamby pamby 'elf n safety its from bitter experience).

I am sure question will be asked by the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) why passengers were left on a stranded train for so long.   

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
jane s

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2015, 11:14:26 »

Would prefer to take my chances on the tracks than be trapped on the train personally (provided of course that the power was turned off)- I think 2 hours is the maximum time anyone should have been left trapped in these conditions before evacuating the train, or at least giving people an option of whether to walk to the nearest bus stop or wait it out. (if the more impatient/intrepid had been given the chance to walk, conditions would be much better on the train for the remainder!)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2015, 11:30:30 »

If this story is to be believed, the sequence of events wasn't as I understood it. Only one train was evacuated to trackside, and that was close to an exit gate onto Wandsworth Common, so marshalling and walking time were not big issues. Before that about six trains were recovered to stations under their own power, and one needed a locomotive but was also moved with its passengers on board. Only then was the last train found to be unmovable, and the power removed, hence its passengers had to stay on board until then.

So it comes down to whether there is an exceptional reason for that to take 5 hours, or whether it did but shouldn't. It might have been a very hot day, so whatever the plan says has to be able to meet the time limit set on that basis.

But note that "if" at the start.
dviner

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2015, 12:02:02 »

Would prefer to take my chances on the tracks than be trapped on the train personally

At which point, you would become part of the problem, rather than providing a solution.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2015, 14:17:39 »

The small diesel engine makes sound sense.

Several years ago, I was taken round one of the Belgian trolleybus systems. Each of the trolleybuses had such a diesel engine. Not particularly for use in the case of a loss of power, but for use within the depot. Instead of installing a lot of overhead, they'd simply put a loop round the depot. The buses arrived and left under overhead power, but then moved round the depot using their diesel engines. There's a trade-off here : the buses were more expensive, but they'd saved on the costs of stringing the overhead.

Would this same logic apply to rail vehicles and depots? I could see it simplifying the operation of carriage washers!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: