Delayed
14:02 Westbury to Gloucester
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 15:45:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Waterloo - loss of service  (Read 5878 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 01, 2015, 23:41:35 »

The topic concerning major disruption into Waterloo on 30th April has been accidentally deleted.  I've extracted the relevant posts from the backups (I think I have them all) and will attempt to restore them in the middle of the night when (if I make a complete bodge up!) I can bring the forum down and undo the bodge.  Being careful as this is the first time this has happened; being doubly careful because I'm on a poor hotel connection again.  Sorry about the lack of Waterloo service - SWT (South West Trains) posts are being accepted on the London - Reading  line in the meantime!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 00:15:01 »

This was probably my fault. My most humble apologies.  Embarrassed Roll Eyes

When accessing the forum on a smartphone it is all to easy to hit the moderator/admin only 'Remove Topic' button at the foot of the page when scrolling up or down pages.

Not just that button. I've accidentally 'stickied' and 'locked' topics in the past as well.

There is an 'Are you sure? check box that pops up when the 'Remove Topic' button is hit, but with fat fingers, a small screen and the need to pinch and expand, it seems I may have hit 'Okay' rather than 'Cancel'.

Sorry. Sorry. Oh, and sorry again. I'll try to be more careful in future when accessing the forum from my smartphone. Seems the phone may be smart, but I... less so. Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 07:45:36 »

The coffee shop apologises for the disruption to services this due to a signalling problem in the Either area  Grin  Grin  Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 07:57:29 »

When accessing the forum on a smartphone it is all to easy to hit the moderator/admin only 'Remove Topic' button at the foot of the page when scrolling up or down pages.

Not just that button. I've accidentally 'stickied' and 'locked' topics in the past as well.

Given that you can't easily get smaller fingers, you need a bigger screen!  Grin

However it goes to show what can be done if you have a skilled person in the engine room who can come to the rescue even if they are thousands of miles away.  I can think of a fair few boards where a topic deleted would be lost for good.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 08:25:09 »

OK ... I think the services are back - http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15686

As this has never happened before, we can put it down as just "one of those things" - a fluke of an accident and a reminder to our moderator / admin team of the power we wield.    I'm also aware that the site ain't very mobile friendly (as are many members) - visited on other threads; apologies given, but we're still good value for what you pay  Cheesy.

As Bobm has pointed out, this has been fixed via an "International" operative, from a place where they speak with strange accents and sometimes misunderstand the British Idiom.  And the fix had to wait until there was an assurance of continuous service rather than (in GW (Great Western) terms) trying to fix it from the 19:30 off Paddington (not a train I use much these days, preferring to pay off-peak rather than super off-peak so I can get home on the last train to Melksham).

Please let me know of any follow up problems you see from this.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 09:04:46 »

....I think some later posts may still be missing?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 09:25:52 »

....I think some later posts may still be missing?

I'm afraid that's possible, TaplowGreen - we work on a regular backup rather than a transaction logging system, and the best I was able to do was to go to what was (I thought) the latest backup prior to the problem.  The problem wa s reported to me as occurring in the hour or so up to 5 p.m. and I have rolled the topic back to 15:15 - it is possible I could roll back to 16:15 instead, but  I don't know if that was before or after the fateful keystrokes, nor whether it would be complete. 

As significant time has to be invested in each restore, involving setting up a mirror database, unpacking the whole database backup, cutting new partial tables from the old then merging them back into the running system, its not something I wanted to do several times over ... I went for the restore I knew would bring (almost) all of it back.  Sorry if I have lost your (?) post; the process of putting it back isn't helped by the fact that I'm travelling and the internet access I have is appalling at times - weighting up the risks of messing already had me delay until the middle of the night (which it is now where I am at the moment) , and puts me off further action unless it's a matter of life and death.  Best safe than sorry.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 09:41:55 »

The topic concerning major disruption into Waterloo on 30th April has been accidentally deleted.  I've extracted the relevant posts from the backups (I think I have them all) and will attempt to restore them in the middle of the night when (if I make a complete bodge up!) I can bring the forum down and undo the bodge.  Being careful as this is the first time this has happened; being doubly careful because I'm on a poor hotel connection again.  Sorry about the lack of Waterloo service - SWT (South West Trains) posts are being accepted on the London - Reading  line in the meantime!

For the record - not Waterloo, and not SWT. That was three days earlier, remember?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 10:04:43 »

Understood Grahame and well done for recovering as much as you did!  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 10:06:38 »

For the record - not Waterloo, and not SWT (South West Trains). That was three days earlier, remember?

Indeed - my bad.   I'm a long way away at the moment, and got my terminals crossed!

Anyone place the picture?

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 10:35:16 »

On another board that I frequent powered by SMF (Simple Machines Forum - The software we use on this site) on which I am an Admin, The Board Admin can retrieve the topic from the refuse board - or isn't there one on this site?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 10:50:14 »

On another board that I frequent powered by SMF (Simple Machines Forum - The software we use on this site) on which I am an Admin, The Board Admin can retrieve the topic from the refuse board - or isn't there one on this site?

There are two ways that privileged users can delete topics on the coffee shop. One is to move the topics to a "deleted topics" board which leaves them available to be pulled back later, and the other is to truly delete them - that latter's the point of no return except from backups.  It's exceptionally rare for any thread to be deleted either way here, and where that's intentionally done it's been by moving the topic - at least initially prior to a final delete - to that "refuse board" as you call in.   In this case it was an accident, and didn't get put to refuse.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:00:13 by grahame » Logged

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 20:39:16 »

Ahhhh. That facility on my other board is only available to the highest authority...which wiuld be you here.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 01:37:56 »

Ahhhh. That facility on my other board is only available to the highest authority...which wiuld be you here.

It's actually switchable in the configuration - hence the difference.   The general policy here is to give the moderators a pretty full hand - after all, they're here to help run the board and are trusted, sure pairs of hands.   But where things change (for example, mobile devices make the settings more prone to accident) there's no reason they can't be changed - especially if any of the moderators would prefer the protection of having some of the more dangerous tools that could be accidentally selected removed from their armoury.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: