Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:31:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Swindon play off final no trains  (Read 14944 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« on: May 11, 2015, 22:14:30 »

Swindon tonight have reached the football league play off final at Wembley on 24th may.

Bad news for FGW (First Great Western) bean counters and Swindon fans is no trains between didcot parkway and bath spa/ Bristol parkway that weekend due to engineering works.

FGW may need to increase rail replacement bus numbers if Swindon fans all decide to descend on Wembley.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 22:33:06 »

According to some Swindon fans on Twitter, FGW (First Great Western) have already 'nicked' all the spares coaches in the area!

https://twitter.com/mwooly63/status/595578278833971200
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 22:34:40 »

When Exeter city made the play off final a few years ago they ended up drafting in buses from as far away as North Wales, due to engineering works on the railway at the time.

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 22:53:23 »

Also Ive noticed in the rugby Bath look almost certainly to have a home premiership playoff secured for that weekend. Will be a busy weekend for rail replacement,

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 05:53:46 »

Congratulations and good luck Swindon! On the "shorter journeys in Devon" thread you will see details of similar playoff  problems faced by Plymouth Argyle fans.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 11:56:16 »

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/12944678.First_Great_Western_creating_Wembley_contingency_plan_while_police_say_post_match_arrests_are_possible/?ref=mr&lp=5

...........common sense may yet prevail!!!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 16:35:34 »

Short of cancelling the works over the BH weekend, I don't see what else can be done. You also have to bear in mind that many Advance tickets have been purchased for the services which are running via different routes and different times than a normal weekend.

Network Rail do a pretty good job of planning work to avoid major events, but you can't expect them not to arrange work in case a football team make it to the play off finals.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 17:20:01 »

Short of cancelling the works over the BH weekend, I don't see what else can be done. You also have to bear in mind that many Advance tickets have been purchased for the services which are running via different routes and different times than a normal weekend.

Network Rail do a pretty good job of planning work to avoid major events, but you can't expect them not to arrange work in case a football team make it to the play off finals.

I wouldn't necessarily argue with that, but by the sound of it discussions are taking place - there probably aren't enough coaches in the South of England to provide an adequate replacement service - any business needs a degree of flexibility/contingency in case of unexpected events.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 17:32:51 »

I wouldn't necessarily argue with that, but by the sound of it discussions are taking place - there probably aren't enough coaches in the South of England to provide an adequate replacement service - any business needs a degree of flexibility/contingency in case of unexpected events.
That's the problem not enough coaches to go round. As a local operator do you a)accept a contract from FGW (First Great Western)/NR» (Network Rail - home page) to use your entire fleet over the weekend b)say no to FGW/NR in case one of the local football teams makes it to Wembley?

My theory will be that FGW will lay on extra coaches (from somewhere) to take fans all the way to London rather than just to Reading.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 17:48:58 »

That's the problem not enough coaches to go round. As a local operator do you a)accept a contract from FGW (First Great Western)/NR» (Network Rail - home page) to use your entire fleet over the weekend b)say no to FGW/NR in case one of the local football teams makes it to Wembley?

My theory will be that FGW will lay on extra coaches (from somewhere) to take fans all the way to London rather than just to Reading.

Once again I'm not arguing with you but you're talking about shifting thousands of people in and out of London by coach, they'd need dozens, but I guess the same will apply to get them as far as Reading anyway? I'd be interested in what FGW are obliged to provide in terms of coach capacity when bustitution is in place?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 17:53:31 »

The engineering works have been in a state of flux since the decision not to transfer signalling from Swindon to the TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) at Didcot over the bank holiday weekend as originally planned.

Clearly there will be some other work going on, much of it in connection with the preparatory work on the signalling move.  Whether there is a window to give up the necessary possessions for one day of the weekend I don't know.

With the work at Box and Bath over the summer, it seems Swindon will not now close until the end of the year apparently.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 20:10:27 »

The engineering works have been in a state of flux since the decision not to transfer signalling from Swindon to the TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) at Didcot over the bank holiday weekend as originally planned.

but in the Swindon Advertiser

Network Rail say the works have been planned months in advance and the tracks are empty during this period.

A Network Rail spokesperson, said: "The work we undertake over public holidays is planned many months and frequently years in advance.

Yes, it usually is ... (and was in this case) ... but I think those comments are conveniently simplified in this case.  Had the original works gone ahead, I agree it would have been pretty hard to run anything.  But now there's a seed of doubt in my mind wondering if this "long way ahead so unchangeable" line is accurate or a just a bit convenient.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 20:28:21 »

Could it be that the work is completed by Sunday lunchtime so services could be resumed by then, even if it's just East of Swindon?

Mind you if Network Rail staff are on strike over the Bank Holiday weekend no one will be going anywhere by train. If I was a Swindon fan heading to Wembley I would rule out using the railway, too much uncertainty right now.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 20:39:52 »

On this evenings BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Points West it was stated that there would be no Trains from Swindon just a coach service to Reading good luck to all of those wishing to travel .WP
CLPGMS

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 10:36:43 »

A report on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) South Today suggested that some supporters may decide to drive to Didcot Parkway to catch a train. Good luck to them, as most of the normal service will have been diverted away from there.  To be fair, the BBC did report that FGW (First Great Western) would be laying on road transport between Swindon and Reading.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: