07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 08:32:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Network Rail industrial action 2015.  (Read 70378 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2015, 12:23:05 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32748029

...........it just gets better and better!  Sad
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 12:32:10 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32748029

...........it just gets better and better!  Sad

Network Rail workers are to stage a 24-hour strike from 5pm on bank holiday Monday in a row over pay.
The UK (United Kingdom)-wide action will see signallers, maintenance staff and station workers, walk out from 25 May on the busy holiday weekend.

General feedback on the page isn't sympathetic to the strikers or rail industry - 4 separate quotes here of the latest comments as I read the page

A full-time track maintenance engineer can earn up to ^75K and gets at least 28 days holiday. That's currently on offer in Basingstoke. Most people in the private sector start on 22 days holiday. maybe rising to 25 after 5 years and 28 after 10 but get nowhere near that sort of money. Yes, there are jobs paying considerably less, but there are in the private sector.

Only 5% of workers commute by train. The other 95% of taxpayers who subsidise rail travel can rarely use it due to ever ongoing maintenance. Go on strike. Lose your pay. Not many people will really notice or bother.

my trains are late too and from work more than once a week due to signal failures. I think its and outrage that these people can strike when the railways they look after are in such a state.

Agenda driven smoke and mirrors from you yet again, do you agree that the Conservatives got a higher proportion of votes, seats and percentage than any other individual Party. One thing is certain if Labour had won, even come second in a hung parliament and formed coalition, there would not be a peep out of you and your ridiculous logic. The moss is drying underneath your home, hurry back.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 13:42:06 »

We'll see if it happens.  I reckon well over 50% of national rail strikes called get cancelled when late agreement is reached.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 14:37:59 »

Have there been any ballots for a national strike in the last decade or so? The last time there was an actual national strike in the rail industry was 1994 I believe.

The Government's response:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/transport-secretary-responds-to-rail-strike-action

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 14:43:24 »

any idea what impact the strike would have if it goes ahead?  Will it likely be no trains at all, or will it be severe delays?

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 14:54:35 »

No trains, surely? Signalmen would be out
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 15:29:31 »

The TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) ballot outcome is due later today. I expect that would have a bearing on the overall service provision on those 2 days.

I'd assume on the Monday, services could still run in the morning, but many would need to be wound down earlier than 5pm.

No mention of ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) members being balloted?
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 15:30:57 »

Also noticed on twitter that thetrainline are offering "full refunds". I wonder if that includes their booking fee.
insider

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 16:42:50 »

The TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) ballot outcome is due later today. I expect that would have a bearing on the overall service provision on those 2 days.

I'd assume on the Monday, services could still run in the morning, but many would need to be wound down earlier than 5pm.

No mention of ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) members being balloted?

ASLEF is a drivers union and TOC (Train Operating Company)'s drivers are not affected.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 16:56:06 »

that is useful.

I really would like to be in London on 26th to attend an event with Sir David Attenborough and Prof Alice Roberts (respectively a hero and crush of mine), and wondered if I should be booking a coach today.

- amended.  I have booked a ^8 national Express fare just in case.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 18:08:20 »

The NR» (Network Rail - home page) members of RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) are the signallers. If they're out, it doesn't matter what the TSSA» (Transport Salaried Staffs' Association - about) (or the drivers unions, for that matter) vote. There wouldn't be any trains if no signallers
John R

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 18:17:03 »

There wouldn't be any trains if no signallers

A surprising number of trains ran during the last national signallers strike, and with the centralisation of boxes in the intervening years I would imagine even more so would run this time around.  If I recall on each successive day more and more ran as BR (British Rail(ways)) got increasingly confident about who would turn up, and the level of service that could be run.  Managers were used to man the key centres - it will be interesting to see whether the privatised railway has remembered to keep them trained to do so. That could be a stumbling block.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 09:18:22 »

ASLEF don't need to call a National Strike to be effective. With the break up of the railway drivers are now tied  to one TOC (Train Operating Company), its specific traction and routes. Gone are teh days of local sheds with spare links of drivers and fireman.

Therefore, they can play one TOC off against another by threating local disrution. The affected TOC would be unable to call on drivers from other comapanies because there wouldn't be enough spare to cover, they wouldn't know the traction or the routes. Gone are the days of local sheds with spare links of drivers and fireman.

The government didnn't see that coming they thought by breaking up the railways they'd dimish ASLEF in particualr power.
Rapidash

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 18:45:13 »

My main peeve with this, is that FGW (First Great Western) don't believe in bank holidays, but Stagecoach do and as such, the buses run a sunday service. The number of X46 runs on that day can be counted on a blind butchers hand.

I don't hold anyone to blame for it, though. People are angry, and will lawfully express it, one way or another.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 22:44:03 »

My main peeve with this, is that FGW (First Great Western) don't believe in bank holidays,

I don't get what you mean by this comment?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: