14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 13:14:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[164] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[47] Cornish delays
[12] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Why I travel by train  (Read 2696 times)
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2015, 00:13:36 »

A while back on this thread, I mentioned a forthcoming trip on the "Belmond Northern Belle" and that I'd be persuaded to provide a report on the trip.

The trip took place yesterday (22nd May), from Birmingham International up to Oxenholme (South Lake District) and back, so here it is!

After a nightstop nearby, we boarded the train on time at 0740 and departed. Each time the train arrives at a station, red carpets are laid out on the platform! The train is based in Crewe and had transitted down to it's starting point of Coventry during the early hours. The service on-board started almost as soon as we left Birmingham, with a bellini followed smoked salmon and scrambled egg for breakfast. Each member of the crew serving us knew who we were, introduced themselves to us personally and went out of their way to make us feel welcome.

We routed via Wolverhampton, Crewe and up the WCML (West Coast Main Line) to Oxenholme on the northbound journey. We were held a few times, most notably for about 15 mins at Crewe, and having struck up a conversation with the Train Manager, he informed me this was because we had to wait for a delayed Virgin Class 390 to pass us. We stopped also (very briefly) at Preston, I believe for a driver change.

Nevertheless, we arrived at Oxenholme roughly on schedule at around 1100, the red carpets we again laid out on the platform and we were shown to busses that took us to Windermere for a boat trip, followed by around 4 hours at leisure in Bowness. The train proceeded north to Carlisle for stabling.

At around 1730, we were back at Oxenholme, and I was surprised to see the train already present in a loop just to the south of the Station as we arrived. The TM(resolve) told me this was because they had been sent south from Carlisle a bit earlier than expected, but had then had to clear the down line through the Station to allow a Virgin service to overtake. The train was reversed back into the Station (on the down platform, for some reason), but we again within about 5 minutes of the expected time, at around 1745.

On the journey south, we were welcomed with chilled champagne, then served with a sumptuous meal of trout and crab (starter), 2 cuts of lamb (main course) and liquid rhubarb and candied popcorn for dessert, with cheeseboard to finish. It really was superb. While enjoying all of that, we made our way south (with a brief stop at Carnforth, again for a Virgin Pendo to pass), before arriving at Crewe, where we left the WCML (and the wires) and ran non-stop to Wolverhampton via Shrewsbury. This appeared to be a long-way round, but was a very pleasant part of the journey in terms of the rural view outside. The onboard service and ambience so was good that the 4 hours it took us in total to get back to Birmingham seemed to pass in no time, and we alighted on schedule at 2135.

The TM told me that after dropping the last passengers at Coventry, the train would ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) back to base at Crewe, where most of the crew would overnight on board (there are 2 sleeper carriages as part of the rake) before departing early today for the next trip, to Bath.

If you like train travel and a taste of the high-life, I would thoroughly recommend the experience. It was great from beginning to end.

Edit 24/05: I tried to add some pics, but file size seems to be an issue, only a few succeeded. I guess I need a flickr account or something?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:20:13 by Thatcham Crossing » Logged
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 12:34:25 »

A wonderful experience that I can also definitely recommend!

Back in 2009, I completed 30 years service with my employer and, by way of a long service award, was offered the opportunity to experience the VSOE (Venice Simplon Orient Express) British Pullman on one of its Surrey Hills round trips behind 35028 Clan Line. An opportunity snapped up. This was 'just' a four hour Victoria to Victoria via Guildford and Reigate rather than a full day excusion. It took place on Valentines Day, so was themed accordingly. We didn't get the red carpet treatment at Victoria - and indeed had to run the gauntlet of paperazzi, tourists and enthusiasts on the platform.  This is my report back to our company magazine of our 'match day experience'.....

So.....the weekend started with a ^phone call from my brother, with whom we were to be staying (at Ampthill), saying that they^d had a fresh fall of snow overnight and to be careful driving down the lane. Undaunted, we set out along the A303. Just before the first watering hole (for our newly acquired puppy), yours truly was heard to bellow ^<expletive deleted>, I^ve forgotten my suit^. Not wanting to return home (by then a three hour round trip), we calmly called into my son^s at Basingstoke and just borrowed his identical suit.

Anyway, the rest of the journey ^ including the toboggan run leading down to my brother^s ^ completed without further incident.

Saturday morning dawns and the snow still very much in evidence, so it was a walk to the top of the lane for a taxi to the station and a trouble free First Capital Connect trip to St Pancras. Yours truly turns to Her Ladyship and says ^just a quick, simple trip down the Victoria Line to Victoria^. Oops ^ Victoria line closed completely due to engineering works ^ so, having negotiated the hoards trying to board the tube at St Pancras, a slow trundle around the Circle Line instead. We arrived just as the spotless Pullman coaches were being shunted into the station and, upon check-in, found that Pullman car ^Gwen^ was to be our residence for the duration of the four hour trip.

A quick trip to the end of the platform (or rather a fight through the paperazzi, tourists and railway enthusiasts) to inspect our motive power, Merchant Navy Pacific, 35028 Clan Line, and then we boarded to be greeted by our Steward with a glass of Pink Champagne for each of us.

The five course meal commenced just 15 minutes into the journey as we turned north, passing Earls Court and Olympia towards Acton and Brentford (NOT a particularly romantic setting!). First course being a Medley of Inverawe Smoked Halibut and Trout served with a Watercress Mayonnaise.  The journey continued at a very sedate 25 mph through the delights of Hounslow, Staines, Egham and Chertsey towards Woking, during which time we enjoyed course number 2 ^Strawberry and Champagne soup^ being simultaneously serenaded by a duo playing the flute and violin.

The third (and main) course ^ Breast of Corn-fed chicken served a smoked bacon and truffle mousse...... - was served between Woking and Guildford and the champagne continued to flow. A brief watering stop for the locomotive followed as we turned east underneath the North Downs. At this point, Her Ladyship was asked to pose for a 'quick shadow portrait' prepared by a young lady using just a pair of scissors and some black paper!

Turning north at Redhill and passing such delights as Purley and South Croydon, we tucked into Somerset Camembert and Oxford Stilton with Caramelised Figs. As we crossed Wandsworth Common, we were tucking into a Yin and Yang of Chocolate with a Berry Compote and Pink Champagne Sorbet, with Columbian Coffee served just as we crossed back over the Thames. It was at this point that Her Ladyship was presented with a single red rose and complimentary chocolates.

At the post-match interview, Her Ladyship was heard to say ^what a truly fantastic experience^!  All I can add is that it is definitely recommended assuming you can raise a second mortgage to pay for it or, as in my case,  complete many years service for 'The Company'.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 21:57:34 »

The British Pullman is on my 'to do' list.

I've seen it a few times now at Bristol Temple Meads, and have chatted with various members of its staff. Most recently it was at Bristol on the 13th May 2015, again with 'Clan Line' up front:

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: