Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
13:11 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
15:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
Delayed
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
11:37 London Paddington to Carmarthen
13:51 Warminster to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 15:26:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[122] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[37] access for all at Devon stations report
[36] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[16] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Cornish delays
[1] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrification work West of Bath  (Read 99507 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2015, 10:15:34 »

Following on from the work taking place East of Bath this summer, does anyone know what the timetable is for work taking place West of Bath?

I believe there is a fair bit of track lowering that needs to take place that would involve a major closure period. Can a work schedule be located on the Network Rail website?

Thanks
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 20:25:07 »

The Bath and North East Somerset page of the Great Western Electrification section on Network Rail's website does have a timetable of sorts starting from this July but so far it only lists "drop in sessions". It also states that there's no bridge/structure closures so far.

On a wider note, does anybody know where the The High Output Plant system, that rather Thunderbirds like rail based factory machine that's leading the construction has now got too?
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 07:36:07 »

I noticed mast bases as far west as the top of Dauntsey bank a week or two ago.
InTheSidings

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 11:23:15 »

This week some work seems to have started alongside the Batheaston Bypass in connection with electrification - see photos.

I'm not sure what's going on, but my guess it's about deconflicting the HV national-grid powerlines and pylons which span the main line at this point.

Perhaps somebody on here will know - What is the minimum permissable gap between the two? Is this work likely to be about raising the pylons either side of the railway line?

Would be interested in any thoughts please. 

Thanks.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 20:31:40 »

Looks like something is going on. The whole thing gets complicated by what I understand is the 2 routes to Temple Meads, one through Bath to TM(resolve) and the other through Bristol Parkway to TM. The race is on but reports I've read seem to point to Parkway being the first (sic) to be connected.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 21:55:29 »

I tried out the revised rail services yesterday, on the first day of operation. BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to CPM» (Chippenham - next trains), involving the reversal at Bradford Junction and a ride through MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains) was bang on time. One young lady listened to the announcement before we left BRI that a faster service to London was leaving 3 minutes later, and became slightly agitated. "Why didn't they tell me earlier?" I pointed out that even my wife knew about the changes, and there were extra staff around, posters, leaflets, and what's so great about London that taking 20 minutes longer to get there would run. She calmed down and enjoyed the ride.

In Chippenham, I soon realised I should have been in Swindon, so legged it back to the station just in time to see one train pull out, with the next not due for an hour. Oh, for the TransWilts! Therefore luncheon! A Yeomans train went through, and ours was then 7 minutes late. From SWI» (Swindon - next trains), I got the train non-stop to BRI via BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) - a taste of things to come when the new kit goes into service. Had we not slowed to a crawl to go through BPW, we would have been under 30 minutes.

Interesting!

Now, please!
Cruithne3753

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 17:35:31 »

I've noticed some masts around the new Filton depot.
As an aside, what are the works cutting a swathe back through the undergrowth near the Dovercourt Road allotments?

Matt
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 20:06:07 »

I took some video from my smart phone yesterday, on the way past. When the dumb operator has figured out how to work the smart phone, I will post. It is quite impressive.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 21:23:37 »

... When the dumb operator has figured out how to work the smart phone, I will post ...

Oh, I do know that so embarrassing thought, that I really ought to know how to operate the darned thing!  Tongue Embarrassed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 22:17:42 »

I share your pain, CfN. One would think that if one of the partnership was "Smart", there would be no problem. Naive of me, I know.

On with the 21st century, I suppose.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 20:35:40 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 22:27:16 »

My 18-year-old son is my own (very proficient) IT support department.  Quite efficient, as I generally don't need to pay him anything.  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 23:22:52 »

If my experience of 18 year olds is anything to go by (I used to be one) he's getting a very good deal out of the occasional tech support for Dad. Board, lodging, laundry service, taxi service...

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 23:01:05 »

I've noticed some masts around the new Filton depot.
As an aside, what are the works cutting a swathe back through the undergrowth near the Dovercourt Road allotments?
I saw those masts, too.
Isn't the end of Dovercourt Rd by the bridge being used as access for undergrowth clearing in preparation for four-tracking? I think there used to be some gas or oil storage depot there too, might be something to do with clearing that up as well.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 18:56:59 »

Phase 2 is now in operation, so I went BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains) on the 0745, with no problems and everything running to the unusual timetable. Return was the same, except unusual to board at P2. Returning n time t BRI I was surprised to see the 1300 to MAN, waiting to depart at P1. Is this usual, or a special arrangement because of the diversionary timetable?

Still struggling with the phone.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 19:30:18 »

It's not unknown for 4 car Voyagers BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)-MAN to depart from Platform 1 even without lots of changes to the timetable because of engineering works.

5 car Voyagers are a no no on P1 through.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: