Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:20:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[114] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[98] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[36] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[18] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrification work West of Bath  (Read 99522 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2016, 17:04:32 »

Were the photos are saved for posteriority?

Where they won't be affected by sunshine...

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2016, 22:37:57 »

Were the photos are saved for posteriority?

Where they won't be affected by sunshine...

There's probably another pun linking back to the actual subject of the pictures under discussion. Piles. But, despite being somewhat anal, I'm struggling to think of one.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 23:46:47 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2016, 23:29:29 »

There's probably another pun linking back to the actual subject of the pictures under discussion. Piles. But, despite being somewhat anal I'm struggling to think of one.

I too thought I'd heard a good riposte to this but I'm not that retentive so can't remember it.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2016, 08:26:14 »

The winning pun will be the subject of an exhibition at Bristol's leading Arts centre, the Anal Phoney.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2016, 13:35:45 »

The winning pun will be the subject of an exhibition at Bristol's leading Arts centre, the Anal Phoney.
For those who don't know, this is opposite the Waterworks Shed.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2016, 17:16:17 »

Timetables now available on the Bath 2016 page of the GWR (Great Western Railway) website:
https://www.gwr.com/travel-updates/planned-engineering/bristolbath2016
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2016, 09:34:01 »

Yesterday was the start of "TPOD-2" (Temporary period of disruption 2) ... here are a few pictures from the passenger's viewpoint

Noting the signage to the trains from the bus station - why isn't this permanently there?

Some VERY nice buses in use ... '16 registration and on hire from First in Sheffield. Perhaps the shape of things to come for buses in Wiltshire?

Sorry no pictures of trains in Bath ... as I was travelling by bus, no travel reason / no way for me to be on the platform there.

Operation seemed to be going well - I could criticise the lack of posters about today's trains from Bath (it was a Saturday - and just Monday to Friday stuff up), and it would have been good to place a temporary (transparent?) sticker over the A to Z to say "not valid from 2nd to 11th April". Also only enquiry availability seemed to be at ticket desk and a team checking people at the barriers - Kinda hard to find out how to get to more difficult places - train or bus?  Information lacking for Melksham; spoke to someone a bit earlier who was travelling to Hereford, and I'm sure an information person would have helped.  Minor comments though ... as I say, trains / buses flowing well.  You only have to look at some of the bus information / fares / operation on the "bus side" to realise just how well the train works (or rather to realise just how much more difficult it could be!)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2016, 19:10:44 »

1.  Melksham.

Oh, sorry: it's not a quiz.  Tongue Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TeaStew

View Profile Email
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2016, 11:07:02 »

I used the replacement buses yesterday and this morning - the buses ARE nice. "Leather" seats which give off that new leathery furniture smell - crikey!

I went from Bradford-on-Avon to Bristol this morning. Train portion of the journey was delayed more than the window given for the connecting bus (9minutes) so it did not look like a good start. However as the buses are sheduled so frequently I arrived in Bristol pretty much when I expected to. Seems that the timetabling for the bus journeys is very generous to allow for whatever as it was last year. Bus was not full to the brim as I had feared.

All in all, a good start for me, will see what the journey home brings!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2016, 11:11:55 »

1.  Melksham.

Oh, sorry: it's not a quiz.  Tongue Wink

Least he didn't say Taunton...... Grin
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2016, 14:54:47 »

Or that station Michael Portaloo referred to in his last series, Nailsea and Blackwell...
Needs a certain driver for W******* ( no advertising ) to put him right about that.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2016, 19:50:14 »

Least he didn't say Taunton...... Grin

That's the problem: I tend not to say Taunton, particularly when the correct answer is Taunton.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TeaStew

View Profile Email
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2016, 10:57:08 »

Journey home yesterday was okay, embarrassingly I apparently made it on the local ITV news as well. Journey this morning was no trouble too. Seems that the replacement buses have been realistically timed and executed from my point of view - no crowding so far and at the very least I am getting through more of my book while sat down than usual. Will see how tomorrow goes - my season runs out and I am not sure whether to replace it straight away or drive to work for a few days.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2016, 21:06:17 »

I used the replacement buses yesterday and this morning - the buses ARE nice. "Leather" seats which give off that new leathery furniture smell - crikey!

The same buses are used on the number 1 and 2 routes in Bristol, where they quickly lost that "showroom" smell. I use them quite a lot - the 1 route gives me a 5-minute ^1 alternative to a 30-minute walk to Temple Meads. They are nice, although I haven't got used to the engine stopping at rest, even though my car does the same. The wifi works, but is a bit wobbly, and the passenger information system is reasonably accurate and helpful.

Potentially embarrassingly for MetroBust they exceed the minimum requirement for the proposed new ^265 million white elephant, with the exception of the second door. What was touted as a great step forward will be last year's model by the time it starts running.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2016, 17:52:12 »

You're assuming it will start running.  Undecided

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to: