Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:14 Plymouth to Penzance
09:44 London Paddington to Hereford
09:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
08:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
08:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
07:48 Reading to Redhill
08:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 09:33:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[114] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[68] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[26] Cornish delays
[10] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[3] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrification work West of Bath  (Read 99500 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 21:19:47 »

Just wondering looking at this, why are there works all the way to Bradford on Avon?  That's well away from the GWML (Great Western Main Line)... unless there are plans to electrify to Southampton at some point in the future?

They're taking the opportunity of the line being closed through Sydney Gardens (and thus fom Bath to Bradford) to do other works not directly connected. Of particular note is Dundas, where they'll be able to run 165 and 166 units through in future.   If they didn't do the works during these 4 weeks, there would have to have been another closure at some point ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TeaStew

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2015, 14:19:18 »

My first week of using aforementioned HST (High Speed Train) shuttle from Bath to Bristol (and associated coach replacement from BOA to BTH» (Bath Spa - next trains)) has gone without incident. FGW (First Great Western) staff were handing out KitKats to passengers off my 0722 Bath-Bristol HST this morning.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 16:00:25 »

And at last, a picture of those electric bits by the depot at Stoke Gifford:

Now, please!
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 17:50:43 »

I thought the work at Dundas was to allow enough width for the passage of Freightliner type services. We have a number though Bath daily at present running via Swindon. Limited to relatively low speeds they would presumable get in the way of the full electric IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) service if they couldn't run via the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) with its loops at Woodborough etc?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 18:29:18 »

I thought the work at Dundas was to allow enough width for the passage of Freightliner type services. We have a number though Bath daily at present running via Swindon. Limited to relatively low speeds they would presumable get in the way of the full electric IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) service if they couldn't run via the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) with its loops at Woodborough etc?

There's a secondary purpose of the work at Dundas, which is to allow for gauge clearance of 165/166 DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit), the period of the Bath blockade being a suitable time to do it without further closures:    http://www.networkrail.co.uk/Newsletter-TPOD-week-2.pdf

The freight gauge clearance won't necessarily be usable immediately on completion, what's being done elsewhere on the obvious routes, I don't think Salisbury northwards has any planned work yet.   I've an idea that they just taken the opportunity to do a few other bits of work and get them 'in the bank' for the future.

Paul

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 18:56:08 »

FGW (First Great Western) staff were handing out KitKats to passengers off my 0722 Bath-Bristol HST (High Speed Train) this morning.

Two or four fingers?  Tongue

If you were a Thames Valley commuter you'd be forgiven for thinking FGW have been giving you two fingers for years.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 19:57:12 »

Interested to see a small army of clip boarded staff at Temple Meads last Tuesday to help people travelling on the disrupted services around Bath. The chap that tried to help me couldn't have been more keen to make sure I was sent in the right direction, so much so that I utterly forgave him for sending me to the completely wrong platform. Smiley
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2015, 21:55:36 »

Hmm.  Roll Eyes

The only member of staff at Bristol Temple Meads whose guidance I would accept without checking would be Wayne Spence MBE.

There are certainly many other excellent staff at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) - but they have yet to gain that level of my confidence.  Cheesy

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2015, 05:58:26 »

Just a polite reminder to the responsible people at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) to put the newspapers on the up expresses.  It appears that those services now starting at Bath and reversing at BTM are devoid of such material and have been for the past week.  An unexpected consequential loss.
TeaStew

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2015, 08:28:20 »

FGW (First Great Western) staff were handing out KitKats to passengers off my 0722 Bath-Bristol HST (High Speed Train) this morning.

Two or four fingers?  Tongue

If you were a Thames Valley commuter you'd be forgiven for thinking FGW have been giving you two fingers for years.

HAHAHA! The cheeky b^t*rds!  Angry Cheesy It was two... AND I got a two finger Twix when I got back to BOA yesterday too!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2015, 19:03:24 »

Following on from the work taking place East of Bath this summer, does anyone know what the timetable is for work taking place West of Bath?

I believe there is a fair bit of track lowering that needs to take place that would involve a major closure period. Can a work schedule be located on the Network Rail website?

Thanks
Tonight I finally got the answer to my original reason for starting this thread thanks to BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Points West. Network Rail will be carrying out work needed for electrification West of Bath, towards Bristol, Easter 2016. So a heads up that's when it's due to take place.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2015, 20:17:25 »

Following on from the work taking place East of Bath this summer, does anyone know what the timetable is for work taking place West of Bath?

I believe there is a fair bit of track lowering that needs to take place that would involve a major closure period. Can a work schedule be located on the Network Rail website?

Thanks
Tonight I finally got the answer to my original reason for starting this thread thanks to BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Points West. Network Rail will be carrying out work needed for electrification West of Bath, towards Bristol, Easter 2016. So a heads up that's when it's due to take place.

Has to be done sometime ............ Easter is a quieter time on the Railway, no school traffic, less commuters travelling.  A 4 day blockade is equal to 6 or 8 weekends and is certainly a lot cheaper, if the blockade can run to 10 or 14 day that is equal to 6 months worth of weekends and is way way cheaper and ultimately less disruptive to passengers 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2015, 20:32:37 »

No I agree Easter is a good time to do major work on the railway. Just giving a heads up that's when it's scheduled to take place.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2015, 21:22:53 »

I also think that it would have to be more than a four day blockade if the track has to be lowered through St Ann's tunnel?
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2015, 16:55:40 »

I look forward to the St Annes tunnel work. The bridge at Newbridge Road is within a quick stroll - I shall record whatever I can for posterity.

Until only 7pm tonight, you can watch the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) report on the Box Tunnel work on BBC iPlayer
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 17:29:53 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: