Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 22:46:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[147] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[126] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[46] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[28] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[23] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Apparently uncontrolled trackside vegetation  (Read 11944 times)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2015, 14:29:32 »

Not sure into which board this little rant should be placed, so, Mods please move it if necessary.

I attended an event at Dawlish Warren yesterday evening, so took advantage of the glorious weather to take some pictures. One view I have always enjoyed is that seen from the footbridge to the south of the station back over the camping coaches, station and Exe estuary. This vista can no longer be enjoyed as the vegetation alongside the track has grown up to such an extent that it spoils the view (and I would feel sorry for any residents of the camping coaches if they were still in use)!

I guess it is Network Rail that is responsible for cutting the vegetation back and presume that it is no longer a priority project?

Here is a view of the scene in the mid-80s.. (not my photo!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lickeybanker/15637406647/in/photolist-pPPNcr-hBV47S-fQc41a-hBVUFv-fQc3Yr-hBUGBf-hBUDGs-hBVges-hBV7vL-hBUG4m-hBVdm3-hBUwM4-hBUDmB-hBViZh-hBUEc4-hBWwmD-hBVtvw-hBWpni-hBQZhB-hBUZGs-hBWtde-hBVZ7z-hBW1Kp-hBVSCn-gBvkiX-hBTQRT-hBVkhX-hBVAS5-hBVwvD-hBVh1B-hBUZst-hBVCHj-hBV4N3-hBUZ5e-hBUxh3-hBW8RP-hBUrYC-hBUBrq-hBV4gk-gBuS2G-hBVtsp-hBVs6X-hBSyMZ-hBTKA2-hBR6oL-hBU1Rn-hBVoVu-hBR8YA-af1Yhw-hBV7fz

whilst below is the scene yesterday!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 14:38:21 by PhilWakely » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 14:36:58 »

As the taxpayer funds NR» (Network Rail - home page), I doubt they'd be happy having to pay more in fares just to keep the view good....
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 15:03:25 »

As the taxpayer funds NR» (Network Rail - home page), I doubt they'd be happy having to pay more in fares just to keep the view good....

Indeed.....sort the signals and the rest of the infrastructure, then cut the vegetation back.............having said that it will probably look like the Amazon basin by then!!!  Grin
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 16:10:44 »

I recall several journeys along the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) in the last couple of years, somewhere between Castle Cary and Newbury, where trackside vegetation was actually scratching the side of an eastbound train!
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 16:16:15 »

Also very important wildlife corridors & thick vegetation (particularly brambles & blackthorn) also acts as a very effective method of preventing unauthorised access to the railway. Unless there is a need to remove certain species for railhead adhesion purposes, or for stabilising earthworks, then I can't see any point in removing vegetation (unless it encroaches on the space required for trains & maintenance folk) as the benefits in my mind outweigh the disadvantages, particularly if it's done solely to improve the view from a footbridge!
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 17:05:14 »

Also very important wildlife corridors & thick vegetation (particularly brambles & blackthorn) also acts as a very effective method of preventing unauthorised access to the railway. Unless there is a need to remove certain species for railhead adhesion purposes, or for stabilising earthworks, then I can't see any point in removing vegetation (unless it encroaches on the space required for trains & maintenance folk) as the benefits in my mind outweigh the disadvantages, particularly if it's done solely to improve the view from a footbridge!

Please don't get me wrong. I wasn't actually complaining that the scrub should be cleared because of the view...... simply that scrub clearance in general by Network Rail is very much bottom of the priorities pile (rightly!) and in places, it really does look untidy.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 18:40:44 »

Please don't get me wrong. I wasn't actually complaining that the scrub should be cleared because of the view...... simply that scrub clearance in general by Network Rail is very much bottom of the priorities pile (rightly!) and in places, it really does look untidy.

Hope that didn't come across as too much of a counter-rant!

I think the vegetation clearance thing has become much more focussed towards the individual tree level in recent years (some tree species cause a lot more problems than others during leaf fall season), rather than old fashioned 'kill it all', apart from where it's done for visibility at sites such level crossings. No significant problems now with steam locos causing lineside fires and I suspect better understanding of the habitat value and more controlled use of herbicides are all conspiring against your photography!

Maybe you could buy a very tall step ladder for your next visit? Or maybe some tree climbing kit?!  Wink Grin
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 23:59:32 »

There's a piece about vegetation clearance in the month's "Modern Railways". Apparently, letting the linesides grow was a policy introduced by BR (British Rail(ways)). The author, Ian Walmsley, says that was a stupid decision and lists quite a few reasons for this opinion (most of which are various results of different parts of tree falling onto the line). He is therefore pleased that Network Rail's 'London North Eastern & East Midlands' 'route' recently implemented a ^5.6m programme of vegetation clearance, which he claims has contributed to a drop of 3,000 'impact minutes' compared to the previous autumn.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 23:18:36 »

Not sure into which board this little rant should be placed, so, Mods please move it if necessary.

No problem, PhilWakely - the subsequent discussion on this topic, covering much of the Great Western region, confirms that your decision to post here was spot on (even if a little obscured by leaves).  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Visoflex

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 08:23:53 »

Senior managers in the 1960's and subsequently, didn't appreciate the difference between "management" and "neglect".  Whilst diesel and electric trains didn't cause lineside fires, trees and bushes didn't stop growing to compensate.

The last Network Rail estimate to restore national linesides to something approaching 1930's standards would cost about the same as another Reading station.  It would be a brave person to put that business case together and defend it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 08:59:04 by Visoflex » Logged
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 10:22:00 »

No problem, PhilWakely - the subsequent discussion on this topic, covering much of the Great Western region, confirms that your decision to post here was spot on (even if a little obscured by leaves).  Wink

There is a thread newly started with several posts on the "Plymouth and Cornwall" Board relating specifically to the Newquay Branch jungle.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 16:10:54 »

One place where vegetation should be cleared is bridges and viaducts. Tree routes (roots) can bring down brick and stone work. Also Ian Walmsey in a previous Modern Railways showed a signal obscured until the last minute.

There is also a tree growing on the bank between the two underbridges at the East end of Taplow station which obscures the view of trains approaching Platform 3 and presummably obscures the drivers view of people on the platform. Especialy as  people do seem to like walking the yellow line with a phone to their ear and their back to the trains. Line speed is 90 mph.

Editted for roots.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 09:14:04 by eightf48544 » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 17:02:30 »

One place where vegetation should be cleared is bridges and viaducts. Tree routes can bring down brick and stone work.

Shouldn't the trains be cut back if they get too close to tree routes?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 21:07:09 »

At Redruth its not just trackside. There is a nice looking flower bed all of a sudden. Looks very pretty, my photo doesn't do it justice, but its looking very colourful.
I guess its well fertilized by HSTs (High Speed Train)!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 08:52:38 »

I had the pleasure of travel with Pathfinder Railtours on their Heart of Wales Rambler yesterday, from Exeter to Shrewsbury via Hereford and return via Llandrindod Wells and Briton Ferry. Travelling in excellent condition Mark I stock, I thought I'd take the opportunity of standing with my head out of the slam door window taking photographs. Sadly not possible on virtually the entire Marches line or the Central Wales line because of overgrowing vegetation and I suspect the coaches will need a heck of a lot of treatment for scratches.  In places, the sound of rather large tree branches hitting the train was almost like gunshot.

No photos to illustrate the point for obvious reasons!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 09:57:54 by PhilWakely » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: