Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 08:07:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: First Great Western - industrial action in 2015 - merged topic  (Read 136710 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2015, 19:25:56 »

And so it begins...
I can report that Paddington at 16.30 resembled something akin to Dunkirk as everyone and their brothers attempted to board the 16.42 to Bourne end.

It's rather hot and sticky, and overcrowded due to being 2 carriages.

I am guessing that is more to do with folk getting to Padd before the Tube strike takes effect than the FGW (First Great Western) industrial action
It didn't help at all

I am guessing it is quite a lot to do with it only being 2 carriages?

It is normally only 2 coaches, whilst it is a busy train I've not known it to be packed and standing

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2015, 20:15:28 »

... With the toilet door open to house an extra person and one in the doorway. Cheesy
TeaStew

View Profile Email
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2015, 07:02:06 »

I am now on my usual Thursday train out of Bradford-on-Avon. Running as the first service of the day instead of second. Platform was much busier than usual and would you believe it - the train is twice the normal size!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2015, 08:07:01 »

Got the 0654 from Taplow Central to Reading this morning, 3 cars as usual so expected it to be packed but if anything it was quieter than usual..........I guess people have decided to watch the cricket/tennis/sit in the sun (....sorry I mean work from home!)  Cheesy

Reading station eerily quiet, barriers all open, half hearted group of rather scruffy looking pickets 10 metres from the station entrance with what seemed to be a local radio reporter nearby.

I note that there are a few last minute cancellations due to "members of staff being unavailable"..........last minute conversions to the comrades cause or a sudden & coincidental virus triggered by fine weather/live sporting events?

Couple of pals who got earlier trains to Paddington report that getting cabs was pretty easy despite Tube strike.
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2015, 08:55:45 »

Got the 0654 from Taplow Central to Reading this morning, 3 cars as usual so expected it to be packed but if anything it was quieter than usual..........I guess people have decided to watch the cricket/tennis/sit in the sun (....sorry I mean work from home!)  Cheesy

Reading station eerily quiet, barriers all open, half hearted group of rather scruffy looking pickets 10 metres from the station entrance with what seemed to be a local radio reporter nearby.

I note that there are a few last minute cancellations due to "members of staff being unavailable"..........last minute conversions to the comrades cause or a sudden & coincidental virus triggered by fine weather/live sporting events?

Couple of pals who got earlier trains to Paddington report that getting cabs was pretty easy despite Tube strike.

After all the delays last week with the weather I couldn't be arsed risking yet more delays from this strike, despite FGW (First Great Western) saying most services would be running normally (I don't get all this union stuff so didn't realise most drivers are unaffected on the turbos), and so decided to work from home today and tomorrow.

I hope all of you that are, or have to travel are successful in your journeys, and if the LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) services do run OK then at least I will be prepared to go to the office during the next strike.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2015, 09:24:55 »

I had no problems whatsoever. My local station was very quiet compared to usual. Local train was a little late but still not as busy as normal despite being a 2 car rather than a 3 and running hourly rather than half-hourly.

Reading was quiet, I boarded a slightly delayed HST (High Speed Train) which was almost empty in 1st class. Paddington station wasn't overly busy, the gates were open.

The usual utter tube-strike chaos outside at the bus stops but I walk from Paddington anyway.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2015, 10:47:41 »

The usual utter tube-strike chaos outside at the bus stops but I walk from Paddington anyway.

I find it ironic that our TVs have been filled with coverage of the 2005 tube bombings and their aftermath - including the shutting down of the network - 10 years ago this week, and here we are with a tube closure for very different reasons.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2015, 10:54:24 »

So my question is this...

Today, those that have travelled have reported reasonable to good travel experiences on FGW (First Great Western), but how much of that is due to the reduction in passenger numbers caused not by FGW's strike but the Tube strike?
In other words, will pax numbers increase markedly on Friday morning when the Tube reopens and will FGW's arrangements creak under those numbers?
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2015, 10:59:12 »

Wish me luck I have to be in London this afternoon and am hoping to return to Bristol this evening !
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2015, 11:02:31 »

So my question is this...

Today, those that have travelled have reported reasonable to good travel experiences on FGW (First Great Western), but how much of that is due to the reduction in passenger numbers caused not by FGW's strike but the Tube strike?
In other words, will pax numbers increase markedly on Friday morning when the Tube reopens and will FGW's arrangements creak under those numbers?

I'll be in a position to answer that this time tomorrow.  Wink

Though I'm slightly surprised that FGW/Tube strike dates were chosen that overlapped so much.  I would have thought that maximum disruption would have been caused if one finished when the other started.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2015, 11:04:48 »

I find it ironic that our TVs have been filled with coverage of the 2005 tube bombings and their aftermath - including the shutting down of the network - 10 years ago this week, and here we are with a tube closure for very different reasons.

It wouldn't be the first time that the Trade Unions have succeeded where the Luftwaffe, IRA, Al-Qaeda etc have failed in closing down the Network......
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2015, 17:35:23 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33456837

RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) general secretary, Mick Cash said: "The company still feel that the configuration of the new super express trains is out of their control and that it would be in their best interests to have 'driver-only' operations and to remove the buffet cars.

"That position is totally unacceptable and the union is clear that the design of the new fleet of trains is a matter for First Group and that there is still time to modify the rolling stock."

Dream on, Mr Cash.....
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2015, 17:44:57 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33456837

RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) general secretary, Mick Cash said: "The company still feel that the configuration of the new super express trains is out of their control and that it would be in their best interests to have 'driver-only' operations and to remove the buffet cars.

"That position is totally unacceptable and the union is clear that the design of the new fleet of trains is a matter for First Group and that there is still time to modify the rolling stock."

Dream on, Mr Cash.....

With FGW (First Great Western) not in a franchise but in management contract may be me being a bit sceptical and adding 2 and 2 and getting 5 that there is the hand of a Mandarin steering FGW to get DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) in place on SET (Super Express Train (now IET)) also to get more seats in less carriages after all a buffet even a mini one takes seating space

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2015, 17:49:39 »

FGW (First Great Western) will be back in a franchise contract from September. A direct award admittedly, but not a management contract.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2015, 19:21:39 »

I'm a little confused... On the FGW (First Great Western) Website there is the following:

Customers for stations in between Maiden Newton and Westbury are advised to make alternative arrangements.

But according to RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) the 08:02 service this morning did infact run as scheduled. With the times listed under Real Time I am reasonably comfortable in saying this train did infact run as planned.

It seems the 17:03 London Paddington - Plymouth also stopped at Frome this evening...

As well as an 09:49 Bristol Temple Meads - Weymouth service...

So if the FGW website is to be believed, trains ran on routes they claimed there would be no service...

I've mixed opinions on this personally. Was it sensible to say, no trains just in case we really can't run any trains. Or did they know these trains would run, just didn't want people to find out?

I am rather disappointed however that FGW are upholding peak time validity on tickets however. The only way back to Frome from London today was on a peak time train, when ordinarily there would be many options available with a change of trains.

So not only do you get one train, you pay full price for the privilege and that's just tough... Just wow... Roll Eyes Shocked Lips sealed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: