Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 22:48:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: First Great Western - industrial action in 2015 - merged topic  (Read 136701 times)
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2015, 19:32:43 »

I'm a little confused... On the FGW (First Great Western) Website there is the following:

But according to RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) the 08:02 service this morning did infact run as scheduled. With the times listed under Real Time I am reasonably comfortable in saying this train did infact run as planned.

So if the FGW website is to be believed, trains ran on routes they claimed there would be no service...

I've mixed opinions on this personally. Was it sensible to say, no trains just in case we really can't run any trains. Or did they know these trains would run, just didn't want people to find out?

My guess is that FGW planned for not having any conductors reporting for work at Weymouth this morning. In the event, someone did report for work so the train ran. I would think it's best to probably err on the side of caution and not create false hope that a service would be running when FGW didn't know if it would, especially in such a rural area where trying to find alternatives at short notice may be quite difficult.

I am rather disappointed however that FGW are upholding peak time validity on tickets however. The only way back to Frome from London today was on a peak time train, when ordinarily there would be many options available with a change of trains.

So not only do you get one train, you pay full price for the privilege and that's just tough... Just wow... Roll Eyes Shocked Lips sealed

FGW tweeted at 13:02 that ticket restrictions were lifted for the rest of the day.

First Great Western ‏@FGW  6h hours ago
Time restrictions on tickets have been lifted from now until the end of service today. Passengers can use tickets for any time train.

TLM
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2015, 19:50:25 »

I agree with everything you said there TLM Smiley

As I said, I have mixed views.

I did post this on FGWs (First Great Western) Facebook page so I'll copy paste their response Smiley

I was unaware of the U Turn regarding Ticket Validity, very sensible. Personally I would have seriously objected to paying any excess if there was only 1 train that could get me home in the peak when ordinarily there would be many options.

especially in such a rural area where trying to find alternatives at short notice may be quite difficult.

For some of those stations it would still be awkward even with reasonable notice. I found the message on FGWs website rather insidious actually. "Customers should make alternative arrangements" Could be because from say the likes of Bruton, FGW are one of the only realistic public transport providers.

Without the train, try getting to Bristol by Bus... It would take most of the day to do less than 50 miles... My friend could drive it in probably 45 minutes

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 09, 2015, 20:34:32 »

FGW (First Great Western) did manage to run a few extra trains that I am aware of keeping an eye on the situation today: 0640 Weymouth-Bristol, 0949 Bristrol-Weymouth and 1600 Bristol-Paddington.

It's often the case that when a strike takes place that a few more trains are able to operate than originally planned, particularly if a strike goes on and staff eventually begin return to work.

The question is are the workforce who went on strike today prepared to walk again in a week or so time?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2015, 23:55:36 »

Purely for the record, here is the text of a press release issued by First Great Western at midday today (Thursday):

Despite strike over 60% of First Great Western services operate

First Great Western is re-iterating today that it has no intention to remove train managers from intercity trains, as customers have acted on warnings that normal rail services will be affected during strike action.

With more than 60% of services operating as normal, those who need to travel are able to do so over Thursday 9 and Friday 10 July across the majority of the First Great Western network, but passengers are reminded to check their journey before they travel.

With around 10 per cent more staff than expected reporting for duty, the company expects to add additional train services to its emergency timetable throughout the day.

The dispute between First Great Western and the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) centres on the introduction of new Super Express Trains, which will replace the current 40-year-old intercity fleet from 2017.

To give the best possible deal for passengers, and to deliver on journey time, frequency and capacity improvements that passengers would like to see, First Great Western would like the train doors to be closed by the driver ^ who is the only person on-board with a full and clear view of all of the doors through in-cab CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) monitors. However, the company has promised that a safety competent train manager will be rostered to work on each train. 

Following in-service trials last year, First Great Western would also like to provide an at seat food and drink service, with a full operational kitchen, rather than customers needing to leave their seats and belongings to walk through the train to buy  items from a buffet.

Earlier this week further talks took place between First Great Western and the RMT and progress was made; but unfortunately not enough progress for the RMT to feel able to call off their strike action.

First Great Western Managing Director, Mark Hopwood said: "We just want to make sure our services give the best possible deal for our passengers. These brand new trains have been designed to deliver more seats, and faster, more frequent journeys - but we can't deliver those if they are operated in the same way as the trains we run today, which were built in the 1970s.

"We have already made assurances about job security and commitments to increase the number of staff on board Super Express Trains, and I am happy to repeat those today. No-one working on board these trains will lose their jobs because of our proposals, in fact we need at least 100 more, not fewer staff on board to deliver our plans. We^ve also protected pay and conditions for those currently working in these roles.

^Yesterday we made a number of additional commitments that we believe meet the concerns of the RMT, while still allowing us to deliver the improvements our customers want to see. While it is a shame that the RMT were not able accept these proposals, we continue to believe a negotiated solution to these proposals is possible, and are keen to continue discussions as soon as we can."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 09, 2015, 23:57:10 »

Just popping in for a quick Coffee before bed
As I said in my earlier post today I've been to London and back by FGW (First Great Western) and lived to tell the tale
Without exception today has been the most pleasurable journey I've had in many a long while
Normaly I'm fit and quite able to walk quite well Thankyou but the last couple of weeks or so I've been using a walking stick due to problems with my back
The amount of help and assistance that I have been offered today has been exceptional every single member of FGW staff that I've had dealings with today have been under a great deal of pressure but regardless of the strike have done their upmost to ensure that I was able to complete my journey without any inconvience
So credit where it's due   To all those that worked so hard today to make my journey and everyone else's  as easy as it could be under the circumstances
A Very Big Thankyou   WP.
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2015, 00:29:31 »

Nice necessary return trip to Oxford on the strike day.

The stations were easier to pass through with the barriers open - remember NSE (Network South East)'s "open station" concept?

Also lots of smart suited helpful gents and perfumed boufant ladies in hi-vis vests were crowding round me to help. Apparently they were the managers, told to evacuate their desks for the duration.

It crossed my mind that this exchange could be made permanent as they're so good at customer service. I'd like to see what the uniformed staff could do in the alternative role. 

OTC
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2015, 06:50:56 »

Also lots of smart suited helpful gents and perfumed boufant ladies in hi-vis vests were crowding round me to help. Apparently they were the managers, told to evacuate their desks for the duration.

It crossed my mind that this exchange could be made permanent as they're so good at customer service. I'd like to see what the uniformed staff could do in the alternative role. 

OTC

There is a lot to be said in any business for staff to try out many roles - a "win / win" even if it occasionally puts them out of their comfort zone. Clearly, there are exceptions due to health / medical / safety / training / knowledge / physical ability

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2015, 06:51:38 »

Looks like the 0640 Weymouth-Bristol and 0949 Bristol-Weymouth services are running again today. Source FGW (First Great Western) Journeycheck.
http://www.journeycheck.com/firstgreatwestern
A good place to see if additional trains are running today.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2015, 08:08:15 »

Nice necessary return trip to Oxford on the strike day.

The stations were easier to pass through with the barriers open - remember NSE (Network South East)'s "open station" concept?

OTC

Oooooh be careful! You'll have another strike on your hands! Demarcation and all that!

Agreed thought the levels of politeness and customer service have been noticeably higher over the last couple of days.

Another very quiet morning it seems, I counted 5 in the carriage of my train this morning, normally at least 30, breezed through Reading and its open ticket barriers, same ramshackle collection of pickets outside drinking Starbucks coffee (the irony!), looking forward to a day topping up the tans no doubt.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2015, 08:18:49 »

Further Additional Trains:

0900 Bristol-Paddington
1200 Paddington-Bristol
1526 Bristol Temple Meads-Weston-super-Mare (stopping service)
1610 Weston-super-Mare-Bristol Temple Meads (stopping service)
1948 St Erth-St Ives
brizzlechris

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2015, 09:18:14 »

I've also been impressed by the staff working the services yesterday and today.

Impeccably polite and good service all round - some others could certainly learn from these people.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2015, 09:30:17 »

I've also been impressed by the staff working the services yesterday and today.

Impeccably polite and good service all round - some others could certainly learn from these people.
FGW (First Great Western) Twitter team are doing a great job too.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2015, 09:39:05 »

I'm delighted that there were no reports of chaos on FGW (First Great Western) yesterday, no reports of dangerous overcrowding, no reports of people left behind.

It's also heartening to read that more staff than expected turned up for work, showing that support for the action is far from rock solid. I wonder how the belligerents at the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) will spin that.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2015, 13:07:06 »

I don't think that the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) are going to win this one.
Not only is support for the strike a bit thin, but experience of previous disputes suggests that each successive strike tends to be less effective than the earlier ones.

More and more management grades learn to replace the strikers as time goes on, and a few more strikers drift back to work, and more customers find ways around the strike.

I predict that in a few years time that the new trains will be in use, without buffets, with the drivers controlling the doors, and the trains maintained by the builders of them.

As I have previously stated I have strong misgivings about the new trains, but I don't believe that buffets will be retrofitted despite the wishes of the RMT and me!
And I don't believe that the contract for supply AND MAINTENANCE of the new trains will be torn up to appease the RMT either.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 10, 2015, 13:20:22 »

...and the trains maintained by the builders of them.

I find this a bit of an odd one, as when the Wales & Borders franchise received the class 175's they were (and are) maintained at the purpose built facility in Chester by the manufacturer and the same with the Pendolino's & Voyagers for Virgin (both Alstom) - I don't recall such a fuss being kicked up then - I wonder what has changed?!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: