Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 04:15:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: First Great Western - industrial action in 2015 - merged topic  (Read 136706 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2015, 18:21:14 »

I think those that have a tipple in the Buffet with their friends/colleagues on the way home will be upset that they lose the place they can all congregate and have a chat.

Possibly, although at times their very presence, especially if "loud and sweary" puts others off from going to the buffet and so it is a vicious circle - unless those at the buffet purchase enough to compensate for those put off!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2015, 18:29:40 »

And a few in peak-hour buffets win't buy enough to maje a profit
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 14, 2015, 09:29:02 »

I think those that have a tipple in the Buffet with their friends/colleagues on the way home will be upset that they lose the place they can all congregate and have a chat.

Having a chat with a TM(resolve) last weekend he seems to think retaining the buffets is a necessity. Otherwise the loud sweary types will cause complaints by passengers. But management tell staff not to get into conflict. So the TM gets complaints for not doing anything.  Thus putting him in a situation they cannot do anything to resolve.

Are you seriously suggesting this as a reason why buffets should be retained?

I'd say it's a reason not to sell alchohol on trains, or at least not to those who are already inebriated (.......which is against the law in any case)

If people are being "loud and sweary" and upsetting other passengers, the TM should ask them politely to be quiet and if they don't,call the Police!

Selling alcohol to someone already drunk is akin to trying to put a fire out with petrol!

Agree with your other points re: toilets and luggage 100%
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2015, 09:37:15 »

I've also had a TM(resolve) tell me that he'd like buffets to remain as it somewhere for the drunks to gather. No buffet area apparently means these drunks will upset passengers elsewhere on the train.

I too think this is one of the flimsiest reasons for retaining buffets.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 14, 2015, 09:46:49 »

The drunks don't all congregate in the buffet - there are plenty on a Friday in particular that bring their own supplies.

I do tend to agree with the view that a rowdy crowd standing all round the buffet puts other people off going. It might be different if there was a seated 'snug' area like the 442s had so the counter is clear.

chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 14, 2015, 10:27:07 »

The drunks don't all congregate in the buffet - there are plenty on a Friday in particular that bring their own supplies.

Indeed, sometimes it seems impossible to get away from them. This is one of the reasons why I'd rather do my current commute by car as I was getting pretty cheesed off with drunks (far worse in First Class incidentally - Swansea services) disturbing my journey whilst effectively being (generally quite discretely) encouraged and egged on by members of staff.

I do tend to agree with the view that a rowdy crowd standing all round the buffet puts other people off going

Agreed, it puts me off. Trains would be a better place without people who can't manage to drink in moderation.

Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: July 14, 2015, 13:07:15 »

Travelling Chef was binned because demand was low and it lost money, buffets are going the same way - its the wrong product in the wrong place at the wrong price...

Pullman is successful but it's a niche/luxury product for a niche market, affordable to very few.
So, Travelling Chef and (we're assuming) the current buffets lost/loose money but the Pullman doesn't. The Pullman is clearly the right product for the niche market it is there to serve. So, shouldn't the question be what product range (and pricing) would be sucessful in attracting customers to the mass-market buffet? I never had a chance to sample the Travelling Chef offer, partly because it was on a limited number of services and I'm not a frequent traveller on First Great Western and partly because I was not aware of it much before it was withdrawn. I wonder therefore how much it's failure was done to lack of advertising and limited provision of the offer.

The sort of items you can bring with you (sandwiches and drinks) are the sort of thing you can buy from a trolley. A buffet which offers little more than that isn't going to be very successful surely? So, doesn't the buffet need to offer something more? I think I've seen trolleys on some TOCs (Train Operating Company) serving hot drinks branded as Starbucks, so would something like Wetherspoons buffet cars work?

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2015, 13:32:02 »

At ^5 a pint?....I doubt it.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2015, 19:19:49 »

No progress in the talks between RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) and FGW (First Great Western) this afternoon.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 14, 2015, 19:37:56 »

No progress in the talks between RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) and FGW (First Great Western) this afternoon.
Not surprised, looks like a real stalemate in this dispute. Not looking good on the London Underground either with the unions joining forces again for another 24 hour walkout starting 2130 5th August.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #160 on: July 14, 2015, 21:19:32 »

Which ither unions have joined ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about)?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #161 on: July 14, 2015, 21:33:08 »

ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) have announced a strike. I was asking Timmer which others I've missed joining them in the strike
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #162 on: July 14, 2015, 21:36:41 »

Not surprised, looks like a real stalemate in this dispute.

Sitting (as I / we are) on the outside and looking in, I find it incredibly hard to see where a solution acceptable to both sides might come.   Let's hope it's incredibly hard because I'm uninformed, rather than because there simply is no solution.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 14, 2015, 21:46:13 »

Moderator note: Discussion on London Underground strike action has been given a dedicated topic:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15954.0

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 14, 2015, 21:54:52 »

Let's hope it's incredibly hard because I'm uninformed, rather than because there simply is no solution.

I suspect it'll come down to money. The money the members won't want to lose by taking strike days/refusing overtime.

I get the sense that there isn't a huge groundswell of support across all RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) members at FGW (First Great Western) for a protracted dispute. Only 41% of those balloted favoured strike action. The disruption the vocal minority caused was inconvenient but not catastrophic. I predict support will wane rather than harden.

The vocal minority of belligerents may not like the changes, but there are no planned redundancies and no planned changes to terms and conditions.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: