19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 18:34:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[82] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[31] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DFT Rolling Stock Plan  (Read 7494 times)
John R

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2008, 20:45:54 »

Extract from the DFT (Department for Transport)'s long awaited rolling stock plan published today.

9. First Great Western would introduce additional class 150 DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) vehicles for regional services around Bristol cascaded from London Midland, as well as new DMU vehicles for London suburban services. Furthermore, the possibility of lengthening some existing HST (High Speed Train) sets to increase capacity on the Thames Valley route into Paddington is being investigated.

Total quoted is 52 coaches, but no indication of the split. This seems to confirm the cascade of Class 150s from London Midland that has been often quoted.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 21:39:10 »

So NO new carriages for FGW (First Great Western) 'West' services then just worn out hand me down stock?
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 21:42:23 »

yep just another load of crap......better still prehaps London Midland should be told to use the 180s now and we can then have the 150s now when they are slightly less worn out

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 21:43:41 »

well london overground + midland have 32 150's so lets hope they're down here asap...

However i bet we still only get the 10 that got assigned
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 21:55:31 »

Here's the link to the DFTs (Department for Transport) rolling stock plan. Exactly 1,300 coaches! But how many of these are new or does the 1,300 include existing stock?
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 22:13:11 »

LMs (London Midland - recent franchise) new 172s are not coming until 2010/2009. By that time, the 150s will be completely clapped out!

They are already banned from the Lickely Incline!

They might make a small difference.

Some 180s should go to FTPE» (First TransPennine Express - website) (TransPennine Express) to do the Manchester to Scotland services. This would restore the old fast journey time (125mph) and free up some 185 units to re-add the Manchester to Windermere service, which has been axed (now just an Oxenholme to Windermere shuttle, which is rubbish seeing that Virgin are axing many calls form Oxenholme soon!).

The other 180s could go to Chiltern for them to run their longer distance routes, or perhaps Arriva trains for either the Cambrian Main Line, Marches line or the Cross Country Line.

Definitely not London Midland for Snow Hill Line Commuter stock!

And of course FGW (First Great Western) could keep them! Cardiff to Portsmouth, Worcester to Oxford, Worcester to Bristol etc.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 22:44:55 »

There was a strong hint from the WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) that there will be a big improvement to Holyhead -Cardiff services at the end of this year. That seems to indicate that the rumours of ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) taking some have some foundation to them.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 22:53:16 »

There was a strong hint from the WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) that there will be a big improvement to Holyhead -Cardiff services at the end of this year. That seems to indicate that the rumours of ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) taking some have some foundation to them.

Seeing as the last time i used that route it took hours, and it was a cramped 158 which didn't help!

Man i do hope ATW take the 180's as they're badly needed for welsh North > South travel. As driving down takes HOURS

if mookiemoo thinks she has it bad on a hst in first class, she clearly needs to be on a 158 for over 5 hours Wink
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 23:03:21 by Shazz » Logged
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 22:54:00 »

Also, note the following comments from London Midland:-

Stephen Banaghan, Managing Director of London Midland said: ^The new TURBOSTAR trains are good news for London Midland passengers. The trains will completely transform the travelling experience of people who are currently using the ageing Class 150s in the West Midlands, and will also assist us is meeting our targets for continuous improvement in punctuality and reliability.^

Lucky Midlanders. Unlucky West Country folk. Incidentally, Bombardier quote in their press release delivery in Q1 and Q2 10. So still another two years to go before we get them.  
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 02:17:08 »

The official DfT» (Department for Transport - about) link can be found below.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/rollingstock/rollingstockplan

My view?

Wouldnt be surprised if the Class 150 units werent coming for another couple of years. I have suspected as much, and my own plan doesnt envisage the full allocation appearing until December 2010.

The areas quoted by the DfT as receiving "extra" carriages are as I speculated earlier on the forum, so no surprise there either.

I had hoped that the DfT would look at the whole of the Portsmouth-Cardiff route and notice the obvious need (in my view) for specifically tailored extra capacity/new trains, but I guess I should stick to my image as a "cynic"......

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 10:28:17 »

Here is the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) view (link below.)
http://www.rmtbristol.org.uk/2008/01/build_new_trains_in_britain_sa.html#more

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 15:11:24 »

My view?

Wouldnt be surprised if the Class 150 units werent coming for another couple of years. I have suspected as much, and my own plan doesnt envisage the full allocation appearing until December 2010.

The areas quoted by the DfT as receiving "extra" carriages are as I speculated earlier on the forum, so no surprise there either.

I had hoped that the DfT would look at the whole of the Portsmouth-Cardiff route and notice the obvious need (in my view) for specifically tailored extra capacity/new trains, but I guess I should stick to my image as a "cynic"......

At which point much of the 1980's built units will probably be in serious breach of EU» (European Union - about) emission targets, one of arguments put forward for the MTU (Motor Traction Unit) fit of HST (High Speed Train)'s. Some decent financial penalties for continuing to use redundant (read totally obsolete) stock would make DfT (Gordy) sit up and take notice.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 18:24:34 »

My view?

At which point much of the 1980's built units will probably be in serious breach of EU» (European Union - about) emission targets, one of arguments put forward for the MTU (Motor Traction Unit) fit of HST (High Speed Train)'s. Some decent financial penalties for continuing to use redundant (read totally obsolete) stock would make DfT (Gordy) sit up and take notice.

Fair point. One of my plan's aims was to try and make use of any stock we could realistically lay our hands on, while trying to "win" some new stock as well.

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 22:27:38 »

Article links.
http://thisisdevon.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=143632&command=displayContent&sourceNode=142719&contentPK=19725632&folderPk=91672&pNodeId=201778

http://thisisbath.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=180730&command=displayContent&sourceNode=232315&home=yes&more_nodeId1=163047&contentPK=19732308

Quote :

FGW (First Great Western) welcomed the announcement. A spokesman said that capacity issues and the need for extra carriages on part of its service were "well-documented".

Official DfT» (Department for Transport - about) press release (link below.)
http://www.gnn.gov.uk/environment/fullDetail.asp?ReleaseID=348921&NewsAreaID=2&NavigatedFromDepartment=False
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 07:40:46 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 02:26:23 »

The Department for Transport has admitted that some carriages will be transferred from other regions where they have been used for decades (link below.)
http://thisisbristol.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=145365&command=displayContent&sourceNode=145191&contentPK=19738843&folderPk=83726&pNodeId=144922

DfT» (Department for Transport - about) spokeswoman Miriam Lea said:

"Some of the carriages were built in the 1980s and could be 30 years old. They would make up some element of what First gets and some will be new.

"None of this is absolutely finalised, so it's very difficult to say 'yes you'll get old rolling stock'. The overall objective is to increase capacity and overall increase the quality of rolling stock."

David Redgewell of Campaign For Better Transport said the news showed the need for the Greater Bristol area to have a single body in charge of transport.

He said:

"It's all passed-off rolling stock. They will be refurbished, but old. The greater Bristol area is growing in demand and deserves new trains. What does this say about transport policy and how committed the Government is to the transport service for this area? It's not acceptable.

"One reason for this is that we don't have a strategic transport authority. If we did, we could specify the rolling stock we want."

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: