Delayed
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
18:10 Gloucester to Westbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 19:04:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[116] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[113] access for all at Devon stations report
[72] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[26] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[4] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[3] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus fare per mile  (Read 4998 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: July 05, 2015, 15:20:56 »

We often quote rail fares in pence per mile, but I have not seen this comparison for buses.

Stagecoach in Cambridge.  From Cambridge Station to Campkin Road in Arbury.  About 3.1 miles by the shortest distance (if walking or driving) or about 4.5 miles by the bus's route.  Cost ^3.20.  That's either ^1.03 or 71p per mile, depending which distance you choose to use.

Plusbus costs ^3.20 (or ^2.10 with railcard) and offers an unlimited use of buses within the city for one day.  A taxi for the same journey normally costs about ^9.

Excluding fixed price areas, such as London, I wonder if anyone can beat this fare for lack of value for money?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 15:37:04 »

We often quote rail fares in pence per mile, but I have not seen this comparison for buses.

Stagecoach in Cambridge.  From Cambridge Station to Campkin Road in Arbury.  About 3.1 miles by the shortest distance (if walking or driving) or about 4.5 miles by the bus's route.  Cost ^3.20.  That's either ^1.03 or 71p per mile, depending which distance you choose to use.

Plusbus costs ^3.20 (or ^2.10 with railcard) and offers an unlimited use of buses within the city for one day.  A taxi for the same journey normally costs about ^9.

Excluding fixed price areas, such as London, I wonder if anyone can beat this fare for lack of value for money?

You may well have a point on this one variable however I think there's more to "value for money" than just the headline cost per mile - reliability, levels of overcrowding, comfort, time the journey takes, accessibility, frequency of service, standard of customer service/experience etc etc?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 15:41:28 »

I am a regular bus user. Redruth to Truro a distance of approximately 12 miles is ^6 return or ^4 single.

I often make a day out of riding buses to get around, and a Ride Cornwall valid on all Trains and First buses in Cornwall is ^10 (^8.30 with railcard).

Yesterday we went from Redruth to Fowey by train/bus combination in the morning, then Fowey to Newquay by bus/train after lunch, before home from Newquay to Redruth by bus. This journey looking at Google Maps left me a total distance travelled as 96 miles (if taken by car) so add a few for the detours round housing estates.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 16:00:01 »

Like you richwarwicker I'm on the buses pretty regularly and have made use of the Ride Cornwall ticket which is great value.

Last week I travelled to Cricklade, Cirencester and Oxford from Swindon, as well as trip across town for work reasons all using a Wiltshire Day Rover at ^8.50 which I thought was excellent.

However to go back to Brucey's opening post I am struggling to think of a journey on a per mile basis as expensive as the Cambridge example - unless you count boarding at one stop and getting off at the next where the extrapolated cost per mile might rival that cost - but that isn't really in the spirit of the question.  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 16:06:40 »

There are two stops near me that are 0.1 miles apart, served by First Bristol 40 and 41. The fare between the two would be ^1.

That's ^10.00 per mile.  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 22:17:59 »

There are two stops near me that are 0.1 miles apart, served by First Bristol 40 and 41. The fare between the two would be ^1.

That's ^10.00 per mile.  Tongue Wink Grin

These things get very odd for such journeys.   "The Spa" northbound to "Spa Road" northbound is about 60 metres - just across the roundabout and closer than Google Maps shows. Single Fare ^1.50 on some operators. I make that VERY expensive, but no-one would do it an their own expense. 

Then the same bus goes about 1km without stopping - Lower Broughton Road past Challymead business park, part of the bypass, past Asda, past the station and the industrial and office units beyond to "Roundpond".  Seems a bit silly to me, but apparently there are rules as to where you can and can't have bus stops.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 19:19:46 »

I've just paid ^3 single for a 2.2 mile journey. Four lanes to Clinton road Redruth. Possibly making it more expensive per mile than anything else mentioned yet.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 19:27:09 »

Interesting to hear everyone's responses.  Maybe these fares are quite normal.

Day tickets always seem to provide good value.  Especially those that can be combined with rail travel.

For people who own a car anyway (and therefore have already paid the annual expenses) it will do nothing to get them out of the car for the occassional journey.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: