Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 04:55 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 05:04:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Meet the director - Ben Rule: July 13, 2015
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Meet the Director - Ben Rule, 19:00 on 13th July - HERE!  (Read 12669 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 10, 2015, 19:09:17 »

On Monday, 13th July, from 19:00 to 20:00,  we're hosting a "Meet the Director" session on this forum with First Great Western's Operations Director, Ben Rule.  We have had many discussions here of late concerning the introduction of the SET (Super Express Train (now IET)), and this is an opportunity for members to put their questions and enter into discussions on this and other topics.

As this is a "first" on this forum, we're asking for questions to be submitted by 1 a.m. on 13th to our admin team via admin@firstgreatwestern.info ; our admin team will select questions to cover a wide range of topics during the hour, with questions being released onto new threads at intervals.  This will allow us to select a wide range of topics, and let us pass the selected questions to Ben ahead of time, allowing him to pre-type answers.   Any registered members are then welcome to follow up in the discussion.

New members are also welcome to sign up in advance (it's free!) - and our admin team will process all such requests made before 9 a.m. on Monday in time for them to post in the session. I would like especially to encourage some of the "lurkers" who we know are avid readers to take the plunge at this point, and to pass on this message to anyone with an interest;  this forum thrives on real discussions, and we hope that lots of facts will be clarified, and points of view explained, on Monday.

Every page on this forum states "This form is provided by a customer of First Great Western, and the views expressed are those of the individual posters concerned. Visit www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk for the official First Great Western website. Please contact the administrators of this site if you feel that the content provided by one of our posters contravenes our posting rules. Forum hosted by Well House Consultants". Exceptionally, I think we can take Ben's views expressed during next Monday's session as the view of First Great Western.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 19:11:19 »

We have started a fresh board for this session and we'll be starting each new topic raised with Ben in a fresh thread. That way, our members can select to be notified about new posts at a board or thread level during the conversation.

Edit note: Two rather minor typos corrected, purely to improve clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 23:46:25 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 19:45:46 »

Graham, at the risk of looking daft, what is SET (Super Express Train (now IET))? The closest to it on the abbreviations list is SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) and somehow I don't think it is that Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 20:04:06 »

Graham, at the risk of looking daft, what is SET (Super Express Train (now IET))? The closest to it on the abbreviations list is SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) and somehow I don't think it is that Smiley

The Super Express Train that comes out of the Intercity Express Programme  Grin

Acronymn page update needed, I fear!

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 20:15:26 »

The Super Express Train that comes out of the Intercity Express Programme  Grin

Acronymn page update needed, I fear!

Thanks - I wasn't trying to be obtuse - I figured it meant something like that.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 21:07:41 »

Some of the these picture may inspire some questions ...

Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 07:22:55 »

Some of the these picture may inspire some questions ...

This just appears to be an extremely difficult version of BNMs picture quiz.

Edit (As Graham has mentioned in the future, he has now fixed the problem)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 08:10:53 by Adelante_CCT » Logged
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 07:37:20 »

I'm just getting loads of "Image not found" but I have just woken up
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 07:47:07 »

My "issue" - sorry folks.  Had to reload the database of images and overlooked those additions.   Fixed now!

The posts above will look "odd" with their comments as the images have re-appeared, so I've enclosed a snapshot of my goof in the attachments to this post.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 07:54:12 »

Thank you to those who have emailed questions so far.  Please keep them coming.

Could I ask, however, when you do please include your username so we can use it when putting the question on the night.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 08:16:52 »

Seating Extremely Tight (in both dimensions, and on the shorter units in numbers)

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 08:41:15 »

I can answer that one now. Greater legroom on the Class 800/801 than the HSTs (High Speed Train).

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 12:20:48 »

Comment on the pictures - chosen to help you think about things you may want to ask. Old and new stations.  Local and long distance trains.  Electric and diesel. Small stations and large, posh and basic.  And passengers, passengers, passengers of all sorts of shapes and sizes - with and without luggage, fit and less able to get around, with prams, with suitcases, with plastic bags. Daytime and nighttime.

Not a competition and I'll tell you where they happened to be taken - Reading, Paddington, near Freshford, Westbury, Crewe, Castle Cary, Trowbridge, Melksham, Swindon.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 15:51:05 »

To provide some more background information in the meantime, this is the man you'll be dealing with (from his profile on the FGW (First Great Western) website):

Ben Rule, First Great Western Operations Director has a wide and varied experience in all areas of rail industry, most recently as operations lead on Great Western and Crossrail bidding for the National Express Bid team.

He was also Deputy Operations Director for National Express East Anglia, responsible for Control, Performance, Train Planning and Train Crew, and has been both Autumn Programme Manager for Network Rail and an Inspector for the Rail Accident Investigation Branch.

Ben started his railway career in 1997 with signalling and operational management roles in Railtrack and Network Rail including Area Operations Manager, Great Eastern.

As grahame has already suggested, I think we can take anything posted by new Coffee Shop forum member Ben Rule as being the official view of First Great Western - unless he qualifies any particular point.

I'm looking forward to the debate later today.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 21:24:39 »

After the event ... - well - the technical stuff ran smoothly, and a very useful time was had by all.   I've see a few folks back in the studio discussing the game, and the three of us admins who were here (in Nailsea, Swindon and Melksham) as referee and linesman had little to do but pass a new ball to the players every so often.

I've had a poke around at the server to see how it performed, grabbed a backup copy of the databases, and will take a further look in the morning to see what it did to request rates, etc - this Monday compared to last.    I'll leave it largely for members to comment onwards - and perhaps looking to do such things occasionally in the future.    That must be a vote of success, I think!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: