Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:05:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 46
  Print  
Author Topic: First Great Western rebrands to Great Western Railway and related department changes  (Read 301268 times)
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: February 18, 2016, 09:43:32 »

Saw the green HST (High Speed Train) yesterday and the power cars both match again  Smiley
Was a full green set towards the end of last week too; happened to be walking towards the Cow Lane bridge in Didcot when it went over.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 18, 2016, 10:13:55 »

Probably 150 232 - as seen on rear cover of TransWilts annual report at http://atrebatia.info/twcicannualreport2015.pdf

It was definitely a 150 so I'm sure you are right Graham.

I know we are speculating that there's only one green HST (High Speed Train) set and there are currently no plans for others to be introduced but is the multiple unit fleet gradually changing colour as it goes through the maintenance cycle? They should sneakily paint that SWT (South West Trains) loaner that's always working the Swindon routes Grin
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 18, 2016, 10:28:32 »

I travelled in from Thatcham to Pad today on what I think was the 166 which had been rebranded on the outside not the inside. Still, it looks great on the outside. So that is now 3 sets I have seen a 165, a HST (High Speed Train) and the sleeper. So is the HST the only one that has an internal makeover?
Visoflex

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 18, 2016, 10:37:11 »

Seems to be that way for the minute.  Style over substance?  Make it look different on the outside, and on the inside nothing has changed.  Symptomatic of the FGW (First Great Western) rebrand perhaps?  Huh (Oh the cynicism of one so young!)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 18, 2016, 10:51:51 »

One of the Turbo's has had an internal branding done as well as extendal.  Others had not long been given an internal refresh when they were repainted green, so it would have been a waste of money doing them again straight-away.  When other sets go through the ongoing disability modifications I would think that would be a good time to do the internal branding too.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 18, 2016, 11:10:35 »

Seems to be that way for the minute.  Style over substance?  Make it look different on the outside, and on the inside nothing has changed.  Symptomatic of the FGW (First Great Western) rebrand perhaps?  Huh (Oh the cynicism of one so young!)

It's funny, isn't it.

You do a company rebranding and get loads of stick about it being a waste of money, just marketing, a vanity project etc.

So next time you do a franchise-based (i.e. will be kept whoever wins next time) repaint, only do it on stock that will be kept in that next franchise, don't do the inside unless they need a refurb anyway ... and you get the same complaints!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 18, 2016, 11:28:11 »

You're damned if you, you're damned if you don't.

Now, please!
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 18, 2016, 11:40:36 »

I totally agree. I do like the new livery and the re branding as a whole. Maybe it's just because I feel the old blue livery is showing it's age now. Mind you I haven't seen a "greenie" dirty yet Smiley
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 18, 2016, 13:40:48 »

I totally agree. I do like the new livery and the re branding as a whole. Maybe it's just because I feel the old blue livery is showing it's age now. Mind you I haven't seen a "greenie" dirty yet Smiley

I think people's cynicism works on the basis of (for example), if my beloved Plymouth Argyle spent a fortune on redecorating the stadium but put the same players in Arsenal shirts, would it make them a Premier League team?
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 18, 2016, 17:12:55 »

I like the new brand.  The problem I have with the rebranding exercise is that it drawing on a historical name to try and create a brand which bigger than a mere here today gone tomorrow franchisee.  And yet we all know in our heart of heart that it is just as much a gimmick as any other brand and will likely not be around for very long.  If First get to renew their franchise, it may not survive the next management change.  If First loose the franchise and it goes to Stagecoach, do we ever know that they will be allowed to keep the GWR (Great Western Railway) brand (even if they wanted to) which is presumably the property of First. 

As I say, I like the new brand.  I'd support the rebranding exercise if it stood a chance of having some permanence, in the same way that the Scotrail brand (which is presumably owned by the Government rather than the current incumbent) has.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 18, 2016, 17:35:05 »

If First loose the franchise and it goes to Stagecoach, do we ever know that they will be allowed to keep the GWR (Great Western Railway) brand (even if they wanted to) which is presumably the property of First. 

As I say, I like the new brand.  I'd support the rebranding exercise if it stood a chance of having some permanence, in the same way that the Scotrail brand (which is presumably owned by the Government rather than the current incumbent) has.

I thought this most recent rebrand (what is it, number 4 now since privatisation and the demise of the InterCity branding?) was intended to be carried through into future franchises, as you mention, in the manner of the ScotRail branding?
TeaStew

View Profile Email
« Reply #521 on: February 18, 2016, 17:38:17 »

Hehe, just seen 150232 arrive at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) attached to and behind a 153. GLORIOUS  Grin
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 18, 2016, 17:47:59 »

If First loose the franchise and it goes to Stagecoach, do we ever know that they will be allowed to keep the GWR (Great Western Railway) brand (even if they wanted to) which is presumably the property of First. 

I thought this most recent rebrand (what is it, number 4 now since privatisation and the demise of the InterCity branding?) was intended to be carried through into future franchises, as you mention, in the manner of the ScotRail branding?

I can't see anything in the franchise agreement that says that, bur I assume that the decals can be peeled off and internal GWR branding removed quite cheaply. What's left then is the green livery - whether that was First's sole choice or they consulted other potential franchisees I have no idea.

What is in the franchise agreement is that the cost of removing any company-specific branding falls on the outgoing franchisee. There is the option of selling the GWR brand, of course, as it is specific geographically, not to First.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 18, 2016, 18:27:05 »

I can't see anything in the franchise agreement that says that, bur I assume that the decals can be peeled off and internal GWR branding removed quite cheaply. What's left then is the green livery - whether that was First's sole choice or they consulted other potential franchisees I have no idea.

What is in the franchise agreement is that the cost of removing any company-specific branding falls on the outgoing franchisee. There is the option of selling the GWR brand, of course, as it is specific geographically, not to First.

The change in branding to GWR was mainly driven by the toxicity of the FGW (First Great Western) brand, in order to build & maintain a successful brand, you need to project a consistent level of quality, demonstrated by consistent communications, consistent products, and consistent services, the "GWR brand" will be utterly worthless (and will tarnish a great historical name) if all it produces is more of the same but painted green. It has a long, long way to go to live up to the name "Great Western Railway" with all of its proud historical connotations.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #524 on: February 18, 2016, 18:56:29 »

The decals come off as mentioned & new franchisee gets that colour stock going forward. They can brand that as they please
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 46
  Print  

Jump to: