18:27 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
20:13 London Paddington to Swindon
20:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 21:07:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[86] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[28] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[10] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 46
  Print  
Author Topic: First Great Western rebrands to Great Western Railway and related department changes  (Read 301206 times)
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: September 23, 2015, 09:58:01 »

They won't tell you that!

^7.5m according to the Maidenhead advertiser.
Is the Maidenhead Advertiser referring to the ^7.5billion mentioned in the GWR (Great Western Railway) press release?
https://www.gwr.com/about-us/media-centre/news/2015/september/first-great-western-becomes-great-western-railway-as-part-of-historic-re-brand
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 23, 2015, 10:11:41 »

They won't tell you that!

^7.5m according to the Maidenhead advertiser.
Is the Maidenhead Advertiser referring to the ^7.5billion mentioned in the GWR (Great Western Railway) press release?
https://www.gwr.com/about-us/media-centre/news/2015/september/first-great-western-becomes-great-western-railway-as-part-of-historic-re-brand

The answer to my own question would appear to be yes if this is said article:
http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/News/Areas/Maidenhead/First-Great-Western-renamed-Great-Western-Railway-as-part-of-75-billion-improvement-package-21092015.htm
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: September 23, 2015, 11:07:57 »

Seriously? ^7.5 million?  Shocked what exactly do the customers get for that in terms of improved services (as we're paying for it!)
Some of the mark 3s do need a re-paint (or at least touching up) by the look of it: rust and peeling paint Not sure how much of that ^7.5m would need to be spent anyway just to maintain the fleet. I've noticed the 'dynamic lines' on some mark 3s fading from blue to white in patches also.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 23, 2015, 11:22:37 »

Not sure how much of that ^7.5m would need to be spent anyway just to maintain the fleet.

See previous posts - the source for the ^7.5m cost was probably getting confused with the ^7.5bn being spent modernising the Great Western.  Though if you include the cost of repainting all the trains and fitting new interiors then I'm sure it will come to several million, but as that would need to be done (especially the exteriors) on most of the fleet anyway, then much of it won't be additional cost.  And, as Paul said, I would not expect the whole fleet to be treated, especially those that are on borrowed time such as the 180s and HSTs (High Speed Train).

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #319 on: September 23, 2015, 11:38:55 »

I attended a business breakfast this morning, where Diane Burke, Sales and Marketing Director of Great Western Railway, spoke to a Wiltshire audience with limited rail connections - the bankers, lawyers, nursery school admins, accountants, software and soft skill trainers who regularly network at these events.  Whilst they know very little about what happens behind the rail scenes and the issues involved, they are very much the people who will / should / might be using the sevice in the future.

Just how much benefit a train service - serving the principle of providing a step in the way of getting people from "A" to "B" - can be was amply illustrated this morning; I checked on doing my trip from home to Chippenham Golf Club and back by public transport, but it wasn't on; I would have arrived late (OK - so I wasn't on time anyway due to a 35 minute drive or queue in traffic) and having walked a considerable distance in Chippenham.   So a 9 minute train journey would have extended to an 06:55 from home, with an 08:16 first possible arrival of the day at the club - no wonder the roads were packed with private cars with people who need to be around for (07:30 to 07:45 ... or earlier if they're working there).

I digress ...

Diane Burke is a brave lady with a mission. On this forum, we criticize the expense of the exercise and the disruption it causes - and undoubtedly in the short term of days more money has been spent.  But if it heralds the intended change of philosophical approach and attitude which forms the bedrock of the company and operation - moving on from what has served for (I understand) 17 years to something that will serve - more appropriatey - for the next ten years, then that's something to look forward too. At this point, we've just turned off the road we were on, onto what's perhaps a new and different road, and there are some fearful of what they may find there and how they'll fit in - and others excited at the new route.   

It was - disappointing - to hear talk of previous management at FGW (First Great Western) in negative terms; my view is that each genaration or phase works for its time, and it may at some point be right to refresh a team for the future.  We should be very careful in tarring our immediate predcessors with a brush - careful who you hit on the way up as they may remember on the way down.   Yet having said that, the changed in December 2006 were so dramatic and negative that I have great respect for comments by the following series of directors when they said they were putting certain things right.

I've heard Diane talk before - and this was an updated version of the talk.  I really hope the direction works well and the positives significantly outweight the negatives.  For a Wiltshire audience, I felt it was ironic that Sleepers and Pullamns featured so heavily - all of which rattle through the county without passenger calls, conveying people from the east to west and vice versa with no economic benefit to the county.   What wasn't mentions but which Wiltshire would like to know about are Great Western plans for the through trains from our county town to Paddington, and from Swindon, Chippenham and Westbury direct to Plymouth come the replacement of the HSTs (High Speed Train) by the next generation.  I think we will also feel more a part of it when the first 143 /150 / 153 / 158 unit appears as "Great Western Railway".  Dates, anyone?

"There's no gain without pain" and I do look forward - far more optimistically that at almost any point in the past - to a greati western railway service Covering our area.  Exellent groundwork has been achived if you look where we are now to where we were 8 years ago, and perhaps the new name and direction will signal a re-direction taht's welcomed by some of our members who feel that the last year or two - with exceptions - have been a holding game.

And - to conclude - I do agree with Diane 110% about the importance of a pride in the product to be helpd by the staff, and a motivation to promote that product to the customer. Members may argue about cost of 'cosmetic' works, but if they bring a pride and that pride brings satisfaction and that brings better customer realtions and that brings happier, better informed customers (and more of them), then that's what the investment has brought. An ability to specify - as we see on the TransWilts - improved services based on improved passenger numbers. Come SLC3A, I will be able to make th equivalen breakfast meeting by train ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 23, 2015, 11:57:56 »

Not sure how much of that ^7.5m would need to be spent anyway just to maintain the fleet.

See previous posts - the source for the ^7.5m cost was probably getting confused with the ^7.5bn being spent modernising the Great Western.  Though if you include the cost of repainting all the trains and fitting new interiors then I'm sure it will come to several million, but as that would need to be done (especially the exteriors) on most of the fleet anyway, then much of it won't be additional cost.  And, as Paul said, I would not expect the whole fleet to be treated, especially those that are on borrowed time such as the 180s and HSTs (High Speed Train).

Just out of interest, are they not just going to do a vinyl wrap rather than a repaint? Do you know if some money will be spent improving the appearance and quality of the toilets & vestibules on the HST fleet?
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 23, 2015, 13:05:44 »

Seriously? ^7.5 million?  Shocked what exactly do the customers get for that in terms of improved services (as we're paying for it!)
Some of the mark 3s do need a re-paint (or at least touching up) by the look of it: rust and peeling paint Not sure how much of that ^7.5m would need to be spent anyway just to maintain the fleet. I've noticed the 'dynamic lines' on some mark 3s fading from blue to white in patches also.

oops, my bad.  Million/Billion - its all the same.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 23, 2015, 14:18:08 »

Turbos have had the on-train announcements updated to reflect the change, though the clarity of the new voice is very poor compared with the old voice - both quieter and muffled.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 23, 2015, 14:31:17 »

For a Wiltshire audience, I felt it was ironic that Sleepers and Pullamns featured so heavily - all of which rattle through the county without passenger calls, conveying people from the east to west and vice versa with no economic benefit to the county.
You could argue that the economic benefit to Wiltshire comes from those passengers not clogging up the M4, A303, etc.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 23, 2015, 15:28:30 »

I agree the majority of Pullmans do miss out Wiltshire - but there are two that call at Swindon.  The 07:58 Capitals United to London Paddington (doesn't call Reading) and the 11:40 to Swansea.

As for the sleeper, it does often call at Swindon, but for staff only!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #325 on: September 23, 2015, 15:48:08 »

For a Wiltshire audience, I felt it was ironic that Sleepers and Pullamns featured so heavily - all of which rattle through the county without passenger calls, conveying people from the east to west and vice versa with no economic benefit to the county.
You could argue that the economic benefit to Wiltshire comes from those passengers not clogging up the M4, A303, etc.

Indeed you have a whole load of checks and balances.

On the "benefit" side you have congestion reduction as you describe (but what's the total number of passengers passing through on sleepers and in Pullmans compared to total road traffic?) and the benefit of cleaner and quieter and a little quicker trains from Chippenham to London (not "more", though).

On the negative side ... loss of through service effecting Trowbridge, Westbury, Chippenham, Swindon, Frome, Pewsey and Bedwyn. Remember it's not just about having to change trains - it's about the wait along the way at the change point.  Yesterday I was looking at a journey that's possible direct every hour at present that takes 27 minutes at present but would take 112 (slightly out of specific area) according to early suggestions.

I'm not going to try to quantify gains and losses for Wiltshire; quieter trains Chippenham - Paddington and Chippenham - Bath - Bristol are significant gains - I was just commenting on the irony of what the talk covered.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 23, 2015, 21:31:45 »

the clarity of the new voice is very poor compared with the old voice - both quieter and muffled

I would second that, it was pretty much inaudible over the whoosh of the "cooling system" on the 166 I was on yesterday.

The TM(resolve) on the HST (High Speed Train) I travelled into London on in the morning also kept forgetting who he is now working for during his announcements!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 23, 2015, 21:37:31 »

The TM(resolve) on the HST (High Speed Train) I travelled into London on in the morning also kept forgetting who he is now working for during his announcements!

Old habits die hard - I had that on Monday until a large number of managers on board reminded him!

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 24, 2015, 22:04:37 »

Does anyone know when or if the green HST (High Speed Train)/Turbos/Sleeper set will be at Paddington on Saturday? If not is there a way I can find out?
Thanks
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 25, 2015, 08:45:28 »

Turbos have had the on-train announcements updated to reflect the change, though the clarity of the new voice is very poor compared with the old voice - both quieter and muffled.

But strangely not all the onboard displays, the turbo I was on this morning proudly welcoming me to the First Great Western service from Banbury to London Paddington!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 46
  Print  

Jump to: