17:15 Exeter Central to Barnstaple
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 17:17:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[82] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[31] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should be running From Ryde to Shanklin in 5 years time?  (Voting closed: June 26, 2018, 16:57:05)
Current trains - 2 (7.7%)
Newer cascaded tubes - 11 (42.3%)
Next generation tube trains - 5 (19.2%)
Trams / light rail with streeet running - 7 (26.9%)
Buses - 0 (0%)
Something else - 1 (3.8%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Island Line services, Isle of Wight. General discussion  (Read 57877 times)
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2020, 12:48:16 »

The bogies travel on ahead of your main luggage sir Smiley
https://youtu.be/p5zkiA-g6wg?t=456
Nice and shiny NSE (Network South East) livery, better than the London Transport livery in my opinion.

They are going to have to do that process in reverse at some point!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2020, 00:35:21 »

I note a very loose interpretation of the concept 'new'...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2020, 17:51:28 »

From the Island Echo

Island Line trains will not operate between 4th January and 31st March 2021 to allow for engineering works ahead of the introduction of new trains on the network, it has been announced.

South Western Railway has confirmed that for almost 3 months no trains will operate between Ryde Pier Head and Shanklin whilst work is undertaken to transform the line, including the introduction of a new passing loop at Brading.

During the service suspension work will also be undertaken to improve the track, improve platform access and install new ticket machines.

Rail replacement buses will be in operation and a minibus will operate up and down Ryde Pier – which will be particularly important during the wet months.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2020, 18:29:09 »

There was a short piece on the "new" trains on South Today at lunchtime, with some pictures of them. It seemed rather short for the way it was introduced - maybe there'll be a longer one tonight (though that wasn't said).
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2020, 20:40:36 »

Feature in the Islander Echo

https://www.islandecho.co.uk/no-island-line-trains-for-3-months-in-early-2021-confirms-south-western-railway/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2020, 21:33:02 »

Seen reports that the first of the new trains will start test runs in September.    I’m there for a week next month. I might be lucky and see it!
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2020, 06:58:09 »

Looks like the ferries will need better connections, as mentioned in the Islander Echo
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-53832185
Although it is Wightlink that operates to Ryde, but I would imagine they are in much the same situation.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2020, 18:28:49 »

Seen reports that the first of the new trains will start test runs in September.    I’m there for a week next month. I might be lucky and see it!
I thought the 'new' trains couldn't start running on the island until the infrustructure mods had been done, so assumed the 3 month shut down was to allow crew training as well as the infrustucture work (with most of the rolling stock testing being done on the mainland before hand). I could easily be mistaken though.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2020, 19:46:56 »

I thought the 'new' trains couldn't start running on the island until the infrustructure mods had been done, so assumed the 3 month shut down was to allow crew training as well as the infrustucture work (with most of the rolling stock testing being done on the mainland before hand). I could easily be mistaken though.

Yes, that's exactly what has been announced about the closure. But presumably the new operators want to take their new toys out of the box to play with, even if it's only on a small part of the "network".
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2020, 08:08:42 »

Yes, that's exactly what has been announced about the closure. But presumably the new operators want to take their new toys out of the box to play with, even if it's only on a small part of the "network".

I saw a photo on another forum of a Tamper on a low loader onboard a Wrightlink ferry, the comment was the first time in decades that they had transported one.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2020, 09:12:08 »

Interesting to look back to the early 1967 closure - from KentRail

On 18th September 1966, Esplanade became the temporary northern terminus of railway, Pier Head having closed the following day for partial reconstruction to take place as part of the electrification scheme. Tube stock cascaded from the Northern City Line was destined for the truncated remains of the Isle of Wight Railway, and as a result, the platforms at the Esplanade were lowered to meet the floor profile of these trains. Conversely, at the other stations which were to remain open, the tracks were instead raised. As a measure against future flooding, tracks within the twin bores of Esplanade Tunnel were also raised. The Esplanade to Shanklin line temporarily closed to all traffic on 31st December 1966, to permit advanced electrification works. The line, including the stretch to Pier Head, re-opened with a new electric service on 20th March 1967

I wonder if the replacement trains can run within loading gauge already on part of the line - St John's Road to Shanklin, perhaps, and local familiarisation can start.  Without passengers, big step on and off the trains wouldn't be a problem during that phase.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2020, 10:49:02 »

Problem might be line capacity.  With the current timetable (and two serviceable trains running) I don't think you could fit a third train in.  Could run at night I suppose.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2020, 11:14:08 »

Problem might be line capacity.  With the current timetable (and two serviceable trains running) I don't think you could fit a third train in.  Could run at night I suppose.

Doesn't the line support a 3 train, 20 minute regular service, passing at Ryde St. John's Road and Sandown?  Lack of intermediate loop at Brading stops them running a 2 train, 30 minute regular service, hence current 20 minute / 40 minute cycle.

With a loop going in at Brading to enable a 30 minute service, is the loop at Sandown being retained?  Any reductions at St John's Road?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2020, 17:51:03 »

There is a fault on one of the trains which runs between Ryde Pier Head and Shanklin, resulting in a reduced service being in operation on the Island Line.

Trains will run as follows:
Trains will depart Shanklin at 18 minutes past the hour
Trains will depart Ryde Pier Head at 49 minutes past the hour

Additional information:
Additional maintenance is required to one of the Island Line trains, so there is currently only one train available to run.

Been said before ... just 2 serviceable trains for a two train service is cutting it pretty darned fine, especially where another train can't be run in from elsewhere on the network.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2020, 08:03:56 »

From the Island Echo

Island Line’s service between Ryde and Shanklin has been suspended this morning (Monday) due to mindless vandalism.

Those trying to get to work and school are having to hop onto bus services due to all services being cancelled.

Island Line was already down to just 1 train and was running a revised timetable accordingly. However, overnight persons unknown have graffitied the last remaining unit meaning that it has been withdrawn from service.

Until the graffiti can be removed the train will be unable to enter service.

Disruption is expected until 09:00.

A further reminder of the difficulty of running an isolated service with no ability to roll in a train from another line / pool.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: