Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 09:35 Severn Beach to Weston-Super-Mare
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 11:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
22:50 London Paddington to Oxford
23:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 00:45:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should be running From Ryde to Shanklin in 5 years time?  (Voting closed: June 26, 2018, 16:57:05)
Current trains - 2 (7.7%)
Newer cascaded tubes - 11 (42.3%)
Next generation tube trains - 5 (19.2%)
Trams / light rail with streeet running - 7 (26.9%)
Buses - 0 (0%)
Something else - 1 (3.8%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
  Print  
Author Topic: Island Line services, Isle of Wight. General discussion  (Read 57835 times)
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 02, 2023, 14:58:02 »

Hmm. I would have thought the old sawtooth(?) arrangement coped better with a larger number of buses and made it far easier to get close to the kerb so I'm surprised they've changed it. Reversing off the stand perhaps isn't ideal but fine if public access to the roadway behind is avoided by good design of pedestrian routes.

The 2018 photo was presumably taken from the footbridge to the hovercraft terminal. I hope the different viewpoint doesn't mean it's no longer there; I have many happy memories of watching the rather more impressive (ie noisier) SRN6 arriving and leaving in my yoof.

Time for a trip to the IoW now the pier, bus station and railway upgrade work has finished, though I still here of occasional problems with the new trains.
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 02, 2023, 15:36:07 »

The footbridge to the Hovertravel terminal is definitely still there. The hovercraft was how I got on and off the island when I joined bobm there for a few days.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 02, 2023, 16:43:56 »

The Esplanade Hotel webcam periodically focuses on the bus stands, so it’s possible to see how the new road layout works, you can also scroll back up to 12 hours earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/live/R1P9v9bEtuk?feature=share
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 02, 2023, 17:15:21 »

I hope the different viewpoint doesn't mean it's no longer there; I have many happy memories of watching the rather more impressive (ie noisier) SRN6 arriving and leaving in my yoof.

Time for a trip to the IoW now the pier, bus station and railway upgrade work has finished, though I still here of occasional problems with the new trains.

As mentioned the footbridge is still there - my ability to climb it has diminished over the intervening period however.

The catamaran runs hourly on weekdays departing at XX:45.  Alternate Island Line services serve the pier head arriving at XX:39.  I was aware while I was on the island that it either arrived late and the passengers had an hour's wait for the next or, as on my arrival, the catamaran is slightly late and you arrive on the platform to see the train halfway down the pier.

It is not so bad at weekends when the crossings are half hourly.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 03, 2023, 07:21:03 »

rather more impressive (ie noisier) SRN6
which I think you can now find one at the Hovercraft Museum at Lee-on-the-Solent https://www.hovercraft-museum.org/collections/, on the site of what was HMS Daedalus. Mention of the Interservice Hovercraft Trials Unit, reminds of when I was a youngster living on Hayling Island and they used to use the area in Chichester Harbour just south of Thorney Island.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #215 on: March 23, 2024, 14:17:37 »

From the Isle of Wight Observer

5 trains have become 4 – and SWR» (South Western Railway - about) are buying wheels from a scrapyard!

The much-vaunted ‘new’ Class 484 Island Line trains, which only entered service in November 2021 promising a fresh start, find themselves on an unexpected track. They now face the ignominy of running on wheels bought by South Western Railway (SWR) from “a scrap metal merchant” after a senior official from the Department for Transport (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) told the railway company that “Minimising expenditure must be the focus … I’d not want us to be spending any more than is absolutely necessary.”

The disclosure comes from a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request made by the IW Observer.

[snip]

Whispers that one of the 484s has already been decommissioned, also for spares, appear to be confirmed. Five new trains were delivered in 2021, costing £11 million, part of an optimistically described £26 million ‘investment’. However, in January, SWT (South West Trains) gave the DfT an update on only four, describing “3 units out of service, 2 of which are currently subject to brake testing. Unfortunately, this leaves only 1 unit in service for the entire Island Line.”

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
  Print  

Jump to: