19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 18:53:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[82] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[31] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we do better than MTLS?  (Read 3580 times)
mada
« on: February 03, 2008, 13:04:04 »

Obviously a percentage of this forum don't agree with MTLS (More Train Less Strain)'s tactics. Conversely there are a percentage that do. I've recently observed that this forum is more active than theirs and that there seems to be less of a "political hierarchy" with the structure of this site. We have a combination of FGW (First Great Western) passengers and staff so the question needs to be asked, why are we letting MTLS hog the headlines? Surely with our variety of experience, views and larger user base we can wage a campaign designed to improve services which is legal and has a greater impact than simply getting media attention. Perhaps some sort of civil disobedience? Furthermore we need to decide ultimately who is responsible for the state of our services. Is it DFT (Department for Transport) or FGW?  Throughout history small groups of people have initiated global change. I don't see why with our combination of skills, experience and insight we can't rise up and improve services for the good people of the south west.

Who's with me?
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 13:08:41 »

Well, sounds like a good idea, only thing is, rail staff can't get TOO involved due to our contracts of employment (bits about talking to the press, bringing the company into disrepute etc etc) And I quite like my job! but good luck to all who go for it!
mada
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 13:12:14 »

Well, sounds like a good idea, only thing is, rail staff can't get TOO involved due to our contracts of employment (bits about talking to the press, bringing the company into disrepute etc etc) And I quite like my job! but good luck to all who go for it!

Perhaps the rail staff could act in an advisory capacity. I'm sure you understand the logistics of improving services better than I do. If you were in a position of absolute power what would you change?
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 13:26:14 »

I am a rail campaigner myself, and understand the sentiments you have expressed. However, the quote "Whos with me" along with a large advertisement to Voltage Forums could be contsrued as an attempt to take members away from our forum.

Could you clarify that this is not the case?

Also, have you contacted MTLS (More Train Less Strain) and expressed your views?

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 13:27:58 »

Lee in all fairness Voltage Forums is to do with Metal Music I believe.

I don't see any intention to take site users away.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 13:29:51 »

That would be fair enough, but I think that it was a fair question to ask.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 13:31:31 »

Don't get me wrong I realise why you asked. But digging a little deeper makes it clear.
Plus the link to the forum is in his sig so is on all his posts.
Tickets Please

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 13:32:10 »

That would be fair enough, but I think that it was a fair question to ask.

Cheesy

Any comments made are mine and not that of my employer. My comments do not necessarily reflect the views of my employers and should be taken as my personal opinion.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 13:35:36 »

Don't get me wrong I realise why you asked. But digging a little deeper makes it clear.
Plus the link to the forum is in his sig so is on all his posts.

I believe that mada constructs forums, and that we are not the first rail-related organisation that he has asked.

I just want clarification from him on this issue, that's all.

Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 13:51:08 »

Yes, yes we can.

MTLS (More Train Less Strain) are more "get PR (Public Relations), dont do anything constructive"

It's not really hard to do better than them...
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 13:56:29 »

MTLS (More Train Less Strain) is just one individuals (not mentioning names) personal vendetta against First group, who will carry on like this even if things magicly changed overnight, someone who thinks they should be stripped from the franchise for dirty toilets?Huh We can do it better!
mada
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 13:58:04 »

My forums hold no rail related content (apart from one thread in current events regarding the recent fare strike). If you want I can remove the banner from my signature or substitute it for a smaller one, if there is something in the forum rules I have missed. This thread is directed to the members of the FGW (First Great Western) Coffee Shop suggesting that we collectively work together to actually initiate change. Admittedly i've considered creating a consumer forum for rail related issues / bank charges etc but never really got around to it. Voltage is primarily focused on Metal (although other things are discussed) and I tend to promote in in my signature on most forums (if allowed) in case anyone has similar interests.

I haven't expressed my views to MTLS (More Train Less Strain) as I don't think their focus is necessarily correct although I participated in the recent protest because I agreed that something needed to change and they seemed to be the only ones taking decisive action. I have also offered them assistance with their forums simply because it's a hobby of mine and I'm trying to build up a larger portfolio of web design work. If Grahame wants I could always design a skin for the coffee shop free of charge.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 14:03:47 by mada » Logged
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 14:08:45 »

Thankyou for that clarification, mada. I am sure that forum members can see why I asked.

Speaking personally, it may have been better if you had run this by us first. The offer is appreciated though, and I'll leave it up to grahame whether it is accepted.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 14:09:27 »

We have a combination of FGW (First Great Western) passengers and staff so the question needs to be asked, why are we letting MTLS (More Train Less Strain) hog the headlines? 

I don't see why with our combination of skills, experience and insight we can't rise up and improve services for the good people of the south west.

Who's with me?

MTLS is a very different organisation to this forum, and I don't think it's a case of us letting them "hog" any headlines in place of us ... and I can't recall any objectives around here that we've been looking for headlines in any case.

You're also suggesting (I think) that rising up would lead to an improvement of services.  Perhaps it would, and indeed I think that sound somewhat along the lines of the MTLS approach.  So I'm going to suggest that their umbrella is the more appropriate for any civil disobedience campaign; the approach here is a much more informational and concensual one.

I notice that Mada has followed up further while I've been writing this ... I'll add a further answer in just a minute

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
mada
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 14:13:03 »

Civil disobedience was just one option. If the general consensus is that the best way for us to initiate change is by writing to our MP (Member of Parliament)'s or the DFT (Department for Transport) then so be it.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: