Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 05:47:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Picture Quiz  (Read 15023 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2015, 00:54:18 »

Some unbelievably anal research to get what I'm fairly confident is the right answer:

10. Cilmeri Station. Heart of Wales Line.

That research included looking for examples of 39^ miles in the National Rail Timetable and 39 miles 40 chains in the Sectional Appendices. Drew a blank. Then looking at random stations to see which TOC (Train Operating Company) painted their lamposts that way. Then noticing the dark cyan band on the station name board behind the overhanging tree. Those last two colour clues led me to the conclusion it was an Arriva Trains Wales station. Then thinking this must be railtour because of the glimpse of carriage and the window hanging. Then pondering, where might a railtour go through small country stations in Wales? So I plumped for the Heart of Wales Line and went back to the mileage. Cilmeri station is 39^ miles from the junction at Craven Arms. Finally, looking at some images of Cilmeri station online to confirm features.

Bingo!

Can I go to bed now?!  Tongue Wink Grin

(And may I just say, I compiled this post and posted it without reading Phil's additional clues at 11:32pm. Yes, I really was working on the answer for over an hour. I'd've been gutted if someone had popped up and got the right answer. Thank cripes it wasn't Taunton!)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 00:59:46 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2015, 07:01:31 »

That research included looking for examples of 39^ miles in the National Rail Timetable and 39 miles 40 chains in the Sectional Appendices. Drew a blank

Grin Me too, I went through a mileage chart, and just like you couldn't find a suitable 39 something mileage, now you've said what it is I've gone back to that list and sure enough Cilmeri 39m 39ch, I must have completely missed it.

I'd've been gutted if someone had popped up and got the right answer

I was looking around 11:30pm so IF I had seen it then I may well have 'popped up' before you... but I didn't, well done BNM for putting us out of our misery
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2015, 07:33:05 »

Some unbelievably anal research to get what I'm fairly confident is the right answer:

10. Cilmeri Station. Heart of Wales Line.

Grin Me too, I went through a mileage chart, and just like you couldn't find a suitable 39 something mileage, now you've said what it is I've gone back to that list and sure enough Cilmeri 39m 39ch, I must have completely missed it.

I admire both of you for your tenacity to finally get to the answer, but to get you on a technicality........ when I took the original photo, in 1977, the station name was actually 'Cilmery    Tongue  Wink  Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 08:20:12 by PhilWakely » Logged
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2015, 07:41:37 »

I hope this generated as much enjoyment and head scratching as previous photo quizzes. The final list...........

1.  Appleby-In-Westmorland   red squirrel
2.  Harrow and Wealdstone    SandTEngineer
3.  Falmouth Docks               Timmer
4.  Corsham                          Grahame
5.  Dunrobin Castle                Western Pathfinder
6.  Bridport                           SandTEngineer
7.  Yeoford                            AMLAG
8.  Cheltenham Racecourse     Adelante_CCT
9.  twixt Polsloe Bridge and Digby & Sowton    lympstone_commuter
10.  Cilmeri                           bignosemac
11.  Sandplace                      marky7890
12.  Hythe Pier railway           Ellendune
13.  Finsbury Park                  SandTEngineer
14.  Yeovil Junction                bignosemac
15.  Broadclyst                      AMLAG
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2015, 07:47:35 »

I hope this generated as much enjoyment and head scratching as previous photo quizzes.

That was fantastically interesting and fresh, THANK YOU, Phil ... perhaps we could persuade you to have a further look through your old picture in a couple of months time!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2015, 09:43:26 »

I really thought that BNM was going to get a taste of his own medicine with Cilmeri/Cilmery. Just goes to show that he will leave no tiny piece of ballast stone unturned in his quest to retain top spot among the quiz setters. Though I must say from one Phil to another, you ran him very very very close ! These picture quizzes are great, and i am sure that all the head scratchers out here ( makes a change to track bashers and buffer kissers) really do appreciate all the work that quiz setters put into them.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2015, 12:51:20 »

I must admit that I feel very ashamed that I did not get no.6.  A large part of my mis-spent youth was spent at that location.  My only excuse can be that in those days the buildings were complete and there was also track and trains present

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2015, 14:02:02 »

Just goes to show that he will leave no tiny piece of ballast stone unturned in his quest to retain top spot among the quiz setters.
My first (and so far only) picture quiz has been online for years and still two are unawswered (three actually, but I've forgotten where I took the other). I'll add a photographic clue in a moment to help folk get them.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: