26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 21:17:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleeper lounges for Cornwall?  (Read 32672 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 16:55:56 »

Mo one meets at 9....
Oh yes they do.  In the opposite direction I often have to attend meetings in London that start at 9am and the only train that gets in from the far west is the 0553 from Plymouth which gets into Paddington at 0900......otherwise its the overnight sleeper or stay in a hotel the night before.....or be late for the meeting start Roll Eyes Tongue
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 17:02:36 by SandTEngineer » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 16:58:43 »

Interesting - only conference registrations in my experience do.....otherwise 0930 is the earliest generally in my experience.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 17:08:12 »

Interesting - only conference registrations in my experience do.....otherwise 0930 is the earliest generally in my experience.

In the Souuth West, we lykes to start earleee, Chris B.

I have an 08:30 tomorrow ... and a couple of weeks back an 07:30 to an event to listen to Diane Burke of GWR (Great Western Railway) talk about the new brand.  Oh - and I have an 09:00 in Plymouth next Monday;  wish the 06:38 from Melksham had a connection at Westbury.   That would be a fictional 05:45 from Paddington (Reading, Westbury, Taunton, Exeter, Newton Abbot, Plymouth)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 18:26:51 »

Mo one meets at 9....
When I was working - based in Exeter - I regularly had meetings at our other offices, in Salisbury, Bristol, Dorking and London, and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of morning meetings that started later than 9am.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 18:34:31 by PhilWakely » Logged
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 19:35:29 »

What's really needed is a business orientated service leaving Paddington at around 0530, getting into Plymouth before 0900 to allow for a full day's business, the current first arrival is far too late.

Until quite recently, this first Plymouth train of the day via the Berks and Hants was the 09:06 off Paddington - the 07:06 was introduced as a Paignton service with a change at Newton Abbott, and recently that was diverted to Plymouth.   On Saturday, Ben Rule announced  that there's to be an earlier service too (06:37, I think) starting quite soon, at around 06:37 from Paddington

There are currently four Bristol-bound services during the week that leave Paddington before 7am and the first of these arrives in Bristol before the first Plymouth-bound service leaves Paddington. If a Plymouth-bound passenger chose to travel via Bristol on the first of these (05:19), they would still not arrive in Plymouth until 10:33!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 19:46:43 »

0945 is ample for business....nicely times for a 1000 meeting. It's not intended for long-distance commuting

You have an interesting view of "Business" - try saying to a client whose custom you're chasing "sorry can't meet you at 9, 10 is ample" and see how long the conversation lasts after that.

Even 10 is early for a meeting in my experience. Majority of mine are 11am - 1pm or 2-4pm

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 19:56:23 »

Mo one meets at 9....
When I was working - based in Exeter - I regularly had meetings at our other offices, in Salisbury, Bristol, Dorking and London, and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of morning meetings that started later than 9am.
Clearly not a very Friendly organisation then.  Grin
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 20:05:59 »

Mo one meets at 9....
I work in academia (aka relax-ademia) and often have meetings before 10:00am.

A conference in Norwich earlier in the summer, starting at 9:15am, left home at 5:15am to make the first train of the day therefore avoiding the cost of a hotel.
Meeting with external advisors last month, started at 9:00am as several were travelling back up North and wanted to get home on the train at a reasoable hour.
Conference in LA, started at 8:30am every day for five days, inlcuding a Saturday and Sunday!

I think your claim of no-one meeting at 9 is a little far fetched.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 20:17:40 »

I did exclude conferences....

In my defence, I was referring to external meetings, doing business, rather than internal staff meetings
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 23:22:57 »

On Saturday, Ben Rule announced that there's to be an earlier service too (06:37, I think) starting quite soon, at around 06:37 from Paddington

From the slide used by Ben Rule at TravelWatch SouthWest in Taunton:

Earlier direct first inter-city service to the South West at c.0637 from Paddington, arriving in Exeter c.0845, Plymouth c.0945, Penzance c.1140

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 23:31:34 »

Was any indication given of the stopping pattern for that c06:37 or when it might be in the timetable?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 23:41:10 »

No, Bob: I've quoted the full text from the slide, and I can't remember whether Ben added any detail in his talk - he was covering a lot of ground in the time available, so to speak!  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2015, 23:43:02 »

No worries. I should have been there to listen but the day job, which would make use of such a train, got in the way!  Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2015, 23:50:08 »

I seem to remember that there may possibly have been some reference to that proposal in one of the slides flashed up on the screens during Ben Rule's presentation at the TravelWatch SouthWest meeting in Taunton last Saturday.  Tongue

The trouble was, there were so many slides, shown in quick succession, and containing so much textual detail, that it was impossible to take it all in - while still listening to the speaker.  Roll Eyes

I'll obtain copies of the slides used, and report back here in due course.  Wink

Here is the wording from that particular slide:

Night Riviera Services
 The future of these services is secured
 Upgrade in 2015 and 2016 funded by Cornwall Council
 Two additional carriages will be added to the fleet to enhance seasonal capacity
 The addition of another Class 57 locomotive to improve service reliability
 New or enhanced waiting facilities at Penzance, Truro and Paddington
 The platform used by the Night Riviera services at Penzance will receive a canopy

Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2015, 07:16:45 »

This was announced earlier in the year within the franchise document, Page 10
We will provide an earlier direct first inter-city
service to the South West at c.0637 from
Paddington, arriving in Exeter by c.0845, Plymouth
by c.0945 and Penzance by c.1140

Also Page 48
We will increase the number of services between
London and Penzance by one train in each
direction. We will provide an earlier direct first
inter-city service to the South West at c.0637 from
Paddington, arriving into Penzance at 1140. The
1215 return working will provide a new Penzance
to London service, closing the three hour gap
between 1000 and 1303 that exists in the
December 2014 timetable

Was any indication given of the stopping pattern for that c06:37 or when it might be in the timetable?

The document says from the May 2017 timetable change
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: