Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:10 Newbury to Reading
11:12 Reading to Newbury
Short Run
07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
11:54 Newbury to London Paddington
12:11 Newbury to Reading
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 10:45:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[126] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[69] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[57] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[54] Cornish delays
[14] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[13] access for all at Devon stations report

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Season tickets from Melksham  (Read 15096 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 08:04:53 »

To confirm - 7 day ticket purchased with no problem at the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) this morning.   What I would have done as a "first timer" with a picture of myself for an ID card rather than a railway ID card is a different question.   Good to see lots of people using the machine.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 09:28:25 »

To confirm - 7 day ticket purchased with no problem at the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) this morning.   What I would have done as a "first timer" with a picture of myself for an ID card rather than a railway ID card is a different question.   Good to see lots of people using the machine.

grahame I am assuming your railway ID is a "standard" photocard? I have used a supermarket photo printing service in the past with passport sized photos (a few copies 4-up on a 6" x 4" print, prepared with home photo editing software) and have a couple of photocards already made up from a staffed station (saves hassle when in a hurry). Obviously you need to have it in your possession at the machine though!

On a related note I know railcard photo IDs are not meant to be used with seasons. I am not sure of the reasoning behind that.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 09:30:03 »

...and until the other day I didn't realise the barcode on the photocard can be scanned at ticket offices to save them inputting the number.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 09:38:51 »

I think Graham's point was that he couldn't obtain a photocard as he has no ticket office at Melksham?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2015, 09:52:11 »

The ATEs (and some conductors) on the Severn Beach Line carry a stock of Season Ticket Photocards. I don't know whether that is the case across the network, but it can be handy, provided you've got a passport sized photo of yourself on you.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 10:26:03 »

On a related note I know railcard photo IDs are not meant to be used with seasons. I am not sure of the reasoning behind that.

Probably just that railcard photocards do not have the same 'ABC nnnnn and barcode' format of the standard season ticket photocard.   

What I can't quite work out is why they couldn't use similar numbering, and be dual purposed?

Paul   
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 10:43:03 »

My photocard is over 25 years old & has no barcode! Still the first one I ever got.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2015, 10:55:25 »

My photocard is over 25 years old & has no barcode! Still the first one I ever got.

SWT (South West Trains) withdrew my old one a few years back, as they wanted to standardise them on the latest numbering system; possibly to make sure they all have barcodes?  He just transferred the photo though, it was all done during the same transaction at the window.

I guess with an older photocard the risk is that you enter a number at a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) that doesn't like the format, and you're stuck?

Paul
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2015, 11:03:19 »

Seems to work for me still in TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) whenever I've wanted a weekly, and I have no problem quoting the number at booking office windows.....cccnnn format, 3 letters, 3 numbers!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2015, 11:04:44 »

Just soooo last century.  Grin
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2015, 12:13:23 »

Seems to work for me still in TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) whenever I've wanted a weekly, and I have no problem quoting the number at booking office windows.....cccnnn format, 3 letters, 3 numbers!

I'd just be worried that although it might work with your current TOC (Train Operating Company), another's booking office staff (or TVMs) might be singing from a different sheet...    6 o'clock on a wet Monday morning wouldn't be a good time to find out...

Paul
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2015, 13:08:18 »

The rules are that you must have a railways-issued photocard - nothing about how recent it should be - and I'm still easily recognisable from my photo. I don't see that they could reasonably refuse to issue
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2015, 21:12:34 »

Southern allow ordering of their own season tickets online to be collected from a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine):
https://tickets.southernrailway.com/sn/en/journeyplanning/SeasonMixingDeck

There is also a warning later in the process only to pick them up from their own TVMs.
For those who like living life on the edge and may feel like using a another TOC (Train Operating Company)'s TVM to collect their Southern online season ticket, please don't try this at home (see attached image)....
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2015, 18:55:46 »

Reminded of this thread, because  BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) South Today have just run a story about someone buying a 7 day season from Basingstoke to Twyford from a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine), and when prompted for a 'photo card number', he'd entered his Photocard Driving Licence number.

He appears to have been given an opportunity to pay an 'administrative charge', with a threat of a court appearance if not paid, but is clearly rather disgruntled and has got the BBC involved.

The BBC of course have completely misread the issue and have displayed a load of National Railcards onscreen, explaining that the chap should have had a 'Great Western Railcard'.

So, as this shows, should it not be better for the TVM to require a correctly formatted and valid "ABC nnnnn" Railway photocard number?   And should any on screen prompts be more accurate in describing what they are actually asking for?

Paul
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2015, 19:11:57 »

Given that a driving licence number is 16-digits and clearly unique, I cannot see how anyone could claim this is not acceptable as proving only one person uses a photocard.

In particular, NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) number 15 seems to permit "another form of personal identification".
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: