18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 02:38:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Santa / Melksham: December 13, 2015
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Meet Santa on the train from Melksham - 13th December 2015  (Read 27454 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 24, 2015, 11:09:20 »

Want to meet Santa?   He^ll be on the train on Sunday 13th December from Melksham.

Leaving Melksham at 14:45 and again at 16:45 - a journey of about an hour during which each child will meet Santa, receive a gift - and there^s minced pies and soft drinks for everyone too. Adults may swap their soft drinks for a complimentary glass of wine.  Please arrive at the station 10 minutes before your scheduled departure.

Tickets - to include your train fare, refreshments, and presents for the children - ^10 adult, ^5 children aged up to 15.    Tickets for sale at the Melksham Tourist Information Centre, Church Street - please book and pay there.    Numbers are limited, and once sold out ^ they^re sold out!

Free parking is available at Melksham Station, which is situated just off the A365 Bath Road.  Access from the town centre via subway under the A350, and from Melksham Forest via Scotland Road Bridge.

Organised by the Melksham Railway Development Group ^ working to bring more train and station improvements to Melksham.  The purpose of this trip is to promote train use and have a darned good time too; any profit will be used by the group to further improve and promote rail travel to / from Melksham.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 17:29:20 »

http://twcrp.info/santa

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 19:03:24 »

Is that a SOO train? :-)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 19:07:11 »

Are the tickets only available in person at Melksham TIC (Tourist Information Centre)?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 19:37:01 »

Are the tickets only available in person at Melksham TIC (Tourist Information Centre)?

Yes ... that's the publicity.  Keeping in simple.   Except I'll inevitably end up holding a few back for people who can't make it to the TIC and giving them the tickets / collecting the money on the day.    Send me a p.m. anyone for that arrangement.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 20:00:51 »

Pedantic possibly, but isn't the first train actually 14:50?  Or is 45 easier to market with the other train in mind?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 20:48:07 »

Pedantic possibly, but isn't the first train actually 14:50?  Or is 45 easier to market with the other train in mind?

I'm afraid it's a piece of marketing simplification which I should be ashamed of  Undecided

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 14:48:06 »

Ticket sales for Santa - now visiting us for the 16th time in 17 years - have been a bit slower that usual this year.  And that's a topic I've raised with other community rail folks - partly to give me control / benchmark to compare to, and partly to help seed / grow their forum resource (somewhere that community rail experiences can be shared around the UK (United Kingdom) for our mutual benefit).

In following up with my analysis, I wrote something which perhaps could be useful here too - looking at changing flows - so I'm pasting a copy of what I wrote ...

Santa is planned with modern things like risk assessments, backup strategies, etc ... with risks including train delays and cancellation, low booking numbers, santa feeling unwell, unbooked children being on the same train.  And over the years these things happen - last year, a signal failure delayed the service into Swindon so the layover in which Santa was to see the children in the "Grotto" (2nd waiting room!) disappeared. So - we actually have no problem even if we're somewhat lighter on numbers - the finances stack up and indeed we have the ultimate abiity to refund and stock presents until next year if the train gets cancelled; we then have a potential damage limitation exercise in the local press and social media, but that's another story.  Rather I'm interested in why it's been significantly slower to book this year - my earlier comments.

If - five years ago on Thursday - I had gone down to Melksham Station at a quarter past 4 in the afternoon, I would have found a deserted platform.  An old bus shelter.  A couple of notice boards giving train times Portsmouth to Cardiff which if I looked at carefully I would find that at 16:15 I had missed the soutbound train at 06:38 and the northbount train at 07:19, and that my next train was at 19:20 southbound or 19:48 northbound.  A dark blue box with a button marked "information" sometimes worked to make a phone call and play a recorded message to say that no trains were dur within the next 99 minutes.  I'm desribing a service which wasn't suitable for the typical town resident to use - even if they knew about it.

I went down to the station at around a quarter past 4 on the Thursday just gone. There were people round ... as they arrived, they checked the departure screen and some bought tickets from the machine, then waited on the platform, in the new, larger, lit shelter, in the enclosed cycle rack area (which doubles as another shelter, and - on time at around 16:30 a single car train rolls in.  4 people got off, 10 people got on and the train left with 43 passengers on board.   And I know that when it arrives on its return call (at 18:03) it will be full and standing - approaching "wedged".

With our improved service, people are now travelling by train - and in good numbers both off peak and peak, for both leisure and commuting (and business) journeys. There's a lot of puchchairs and children on the services at holiday times, weekends, and during the day - and I'll wager that many of these people are those who (or who's community) almost never used the train in past years, and from whom the group who were tempted by a train journey from their own town to see Santa was drawn.  As such, it's no bad thing at all - lovely having these people able to share and use the trains 363 days a year rather than just one ... just a need to do a bit more marketing of Santa than in the past. With the bonus that the Santa publicity can now remind people they have a useful service o other days too ...

I'm tempted NOT to grab out the snowy pictures which are all now pre-improvement (but thanks for that thought) - rather I have just turned the power up a notch or two on the marketing which has always been rather subdued to avoid oversubscription.  My risk anaysis for an overcrowded platform at Melksham station especially is a bit of a frightener which we, our TOC (Train Operating Company), and I hope others who may stop heritage trains there, are fully aware of.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 16:51:36 »

Has Santa been rebranded?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 17:20:58 »

Looking for something witty to say but, basically, no.

Over the years with changing services we've had to vary the product a bit - the day and destination has been dictated by where an out-and-back train trip has been fun. 

Before I was ever involved it went to Westbury on one occasion.

There was a Saturday trip in my early days where we went to Swindon in the morning (at around 09:20) and back on the train at about 3 p.m. after people had done their Christmas Shopping; that was memorable because there was concern about explosive devices at that time, and our arrangement to deposit a huge box of boxes of minced pies with station staff at Swindon hadn't been passed on to them ... problem solved by them choosing a random box and sampling the goods.   

Over recent years, it's been up to Swindon and back on a Sunday / late afternoon - for a number of years up to 2012 that was the only round trip possible without a layover of six hours or more.

2013 and 2014 we've gone up to Swindon, with a 30 minute layover there, and back and both have worked very well indeed.

For 2015, there's no layover in Swindon.   Thank goodness the Sunday service was sorted out (or almost so; it's 90% better - just one niggle left) in May - so it's even through the day.  But that correction for every other requirement means yet another slight change to Santa.   So it's two up-and-back trips of just over an hour each this year, with Santa on the train as he's done many times in the past, and with tickets slit between the two trains to give him a chance to get through, and to leave plenty of space on the service for regular passengers who are conspicuous by their presence rather than their absence these days.

We thought of rebranding Santa with a new name, suite colour and logo.  However, following the lead of GWR (Great Western Railway) in adopting and following a well respected name from Victorian times, we're also using a well respected name from that era. "Santa" in his modern form, if Wikipedia is to be believed, can be traced back to 1863.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 17:50:10 »

He's almost as old as Melksham Station itself, then.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 20:14:29 »

We thought of rebranding Santa with a new name, suite colour and logo.  However, following the lead of GWR (Great Western Railway) in adopting and following a well respected name from Victorian times, we're also using a well respected name from that era. "Santa" in his modern form, if Wikipedia is to be believed, can be traced back to 1863.

Sorry Grahame I was only joking, absolutely no need to rebrand Santa........unlike First Group/First Great Western, his brand isn't poisonous or discredited!

Hope the numbers pick up for what I am sure will be a memorable occasion.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 20:34:46 by TaplowGreen » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 20:41:26 »

Sorry Grahame I was only joking, absolutely no need to rebrand Santa...

I know ... but you gave me an excellent step onto which to post a little history.    I expect my humour therein was so dry it wasn't noticeable  Grin

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 09:51:27 »

Sorry Grahame I was only joking, absolutely no need to rebrand Santa...

I know ... but you gave me an excellent step onto which to post a little history.    I expect my humour therein was so dry it wasn't noticeable  Grin

.....perhaps you could advise your regulars that over the next year you will be "Building a Greater Santa"? (.....try not to overspend or overrun though!!!)  Wink
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 13:36:07 »

To Father Christmas perhaps?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: