29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 02:34:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Rolling stock now oldest since 2001 ... GWR oldest diesels of the lot!  (Read 28417 times)
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2017, 14:58:15 »

Very true, but how many people who use the train daily will experience IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) based improvements?

Local train commuters, the vast majority of train users, will still experience

• overcrowded, with infrequent small trains
  • continual delays due  lack of line capacity. The much talked of Filton Bank Four Track was supposed to be delivered by 2015. Now NR» (Network Rail - home page) are talking about 2018
  • continual delays waiting for cleared platforms. Is this a lack of platforms or a signalling issue?

My main gripes will always be Bristol centric because of the chronic train and bus services it suffers, however I appreciate that many other areas will see little or no improvements in the next 6 months either.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2017, 15:14:14 »

Very true, but how many people who use the train daily will experience IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) based improvements?

Local train commuters, the vast majority of train users, will still experience

• overcrowded, with infrequent small trains
  • continual delays due  lack of line capacity. The much talked of Filton Bank Four Track was supposed to be delivered by 2015. Now NR» (Network Rail - home page) are talking about 2018
  • continual delays waiting for cleared platforms. Is this a lack of platforms or a signalling issue?

My main gripes will always be Bristol centric because of the chronic train and bus services it suffers, however I appreciate that many other areas will see little or no improvements in the next 6 months either.

When the London Suburban services get new electric trains the Turbos will be cascaded to Bristol, which I assume will increase capacity and give longer trains so that should reduce overcrowding.

The 15X's will go further west, I assume, increasing capacity there.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2017, 15:58:39 »

When the London Suburban services get new electric trains the Turbos will be cascaded to Bristol, which I assume will increase capacity and give longer trains so that should reduce overcrowding.

The 15X's will go further west, I assume, increasing capacity there.

My understanding of current plans (some of which should probably be in the Rumour Mill!) ...

The first 3 car turbos to be cascaded will take over services on the Severn Beach line.  The current trains from the Severn Beach line will allow four to six 15x carriages to be released to reform other trains operating out of St. Philip's Marsh. However - there's competition as ever for stock; all 153 units were supposed to go back to their RoSCOs (Rolling Stock Owning Company) in May for redeployment in places that are neither great nor western, but the timing of part of that move may be varied. The loss of all 153s over - let's say - the next 13 months will force all GWR (Great Western Railway) trains currently running with a single carriage up to 2 carriages; with one or two diagrams, that may lead to overcapacity but in certain cases it will allow the brakes to be taken off promotion and passenger growth which has been stifled by people finding other ways to travel.

Hard to say if these are indirect "IEP based" or "387 based" improvements; it depends on the inward flow of new bi-mode and electric units, how far the electrification has got, and political decisions as to whether the more flexible IEP units take over services such as Oxford and the Cotswolds (in which case 16x units are released) or other services (in which case HSTs (High Speed Train) are released for shortening and cascading across a very much wider area).

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2017, 20:55:20 »

From what I've heard, GWR (Great Western Railway) are looking at bringing in loco hauled stock on Cardiff to Paignton services, this will allow the 158s to build up Bristol services where Thames turbo's are still up in Thames Valley.  IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)'s will run as 5 car Oxford to Padd fast services, with a shuttle service between Oxford and Didcot for slower services. And 150/2 going down to the Westcountry.  The main issues I have with GWR's plans are that how will some of the Cornish branch lines cope with 2 car 150s when it only just survives with 153s in the winter, and 2nd how will the half hourly Exmouth to Paignton work when it can barely work in the current timetable between St Davids and Paignton.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2017, 22:21:10 »

The main issues I have with GWR (Great Western Railway)'s plans are that how will some of the Cornish branch lines cope with 2 car 150s when it only just survives with 153s in the winter ...

But if the 153s aren't compliant from 1.1.2020 to run stand-alone, what choice is there?   We're told a disabled loo would eat into the seating capacity in a serious way if the conversion was done; that might leave enough winter capacity on the lightest used of diagrams but would be a serious setback in summer.  In theory (can someone confirm this?) if you removed the toilets from 153s that would also make the compliant

You identify (as we have done on TransWilts) the enormity of the step up from a 1 coach train to a 2 coach train.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2017, 22:42:28 »

Minister granted derogations remain an option for non compliant rolling stock.

Not forgetting that some of the legislation is European in origin...

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2017, 12:25:04 »

From what I've heard....IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)'s will run as 5 car Oxford to Padd fast services,

When 8car HSTs (High Speed Train) do now.....think you've heard wrong!
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2017, 15:38:59 »

What effect will the new Oxford-Marylebone service have on Oxford-Paddington services?

Perhaps a 5-car train will do.

Who knows, it will depend on which destination in London suits passengers best, and the reliability and frequency of services.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2017, 15:41:31 »

Possibly, but they won't be planning for any reduction - it would be commercial suicide in a huge tourist town. The 9car bi-modes will fit the bill.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2017, 15:55:58 »

5-car trains would be ok for off-peak trains, but not enough for peak or many of the shoulder peak services, especially if they are Cotswold Line trains.  Two 5s could run together of course.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2017, 16:22:27 »

Not until the Cotswold stations are lengthened in 2018....
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2017, 17:24:33 »

When 8car HSTs (High Speed Train) do now.....think you've heard wrong!

Yet so do 3 car 165/166s?   Maybe not so wrong after all!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2017, 17:56:31 »

Not until the Cotswold stations are lengthened in 2018....

Though between Oxford and London they could.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2017, 21:44:17 »

It was tou who referred to trains iff the Cotswolds...might be an idea to stay on topic?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2017, 10:40:12 »

How have I strayed off topic?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: