22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 15:13:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[116] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[106] access for all at Devon stations report
[45] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[28] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[5] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Rolling stock now oldest since 2001 ... GWR oldest diesels of the lot!  (Read 28369 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2017, 11:21:56 »

You introduced discussion of trains off the Cotswolds....

5-car trains would be ok for off-peak trains, but not enough for peak or many of the shoulder peak services, especially if they are Cotswold Line trains. 

Which I responded to

Not until the Cotswold stations are lengthened in 2018....

Which you then altered to Oxford...

Not until the Cotswold stations are lengthened in 2018....

Though between Oxford and London they could.

Well, yes, but you were referring to Cotswold trains......
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2017, 11:47:58 »

All seems perfectly on topic to me. What with this being a very general thread about old rolling stock. Natural thread progression.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2017, 11:53:58 »

Thanks BNM.  Roll Eyes

I didn't alter anything as I was referring to Cotswold Line trains.  Cotswold line trains running as 10-car between Paddington and Oxford, splitting and working as 5-car beyond.

For the record I only 'introduced' Cotswold Line trains into the discussion as they are a key part of the service provision for Oxford to London services (roughly half of them originate from there), and wanted to make the distinction between loadings on those trains and loadings on the trains that just run Oxford to Paddington services.  The latter could quite easily be 5-car trains off-peak, the former might need more between Oxford and London even at off-peak times.

To sum up, I disagree with your statement that it would be commercial suicide to consider running anything less than 9-car length on Oxford to Paddington services (even if you just take those currently operated by HSTs (High Speed Train) as an example), but recognise that some certainly would need to be that length.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2017, 12:02:34 »

They won't be able to run 2x5cars on the Cotswold Line until the platform extensions have been completed - so limited to 9car sets until 2018. So only 5car or 9car sets for the Cotswold Line. Intended as an hourly service, thus only one other fast service will start from OXF» (Oxford - next trains) per hour. This was intended to be a 387 set, but obviously that will no longer be the case.

What are the seating capacities of the 5car set? Compared to a 2x3car 165?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2017, 12:11:50 »

They won't be able to run 2x5cars on the Cotswold Line until the platform extensions have been completed - so limited to 9car sets until 2018. So only 5car or 9car sets for the Cotswold Line. Intended as an hourly service, thus only one other fast service will start from OXF» (Oxford - next trains) per hour. This was intended to be a 387 set, but obviously that will no longer be the case.

Yes, nobody is disagreeing with that.

What are the seating capacities of the 5car set? Compared to a 2x3car 165?

Seating is planned to be 290 standard and 36 first on a 5-car IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) set I believe, so a total of 324.

I'm not sure what you mean by '2x3car 165' but each 3-car Class 166 Turbo (I'll use those rather than 165s as they are more relevant) have a total of 264 seats after the modifications to install a disabled toilet.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2017, 12:14:03 »

With the limited number of platforms at Paddington and the nature of the GWR (Great Western Railway) lines splitting, perhaps GWR/NR» (Network Rail - home page) should look at running some services as

• 10/5 train splitting at Oxford for Cotswolds
  • 10/5 train splitting at BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) for South Wales and Bristol
  • 10/5 train splitting at Swindon for Cotwolds and Bristol

This will allow destinations to be serviced more frequently, and hopefully spread out load better.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2017, 12:20:33 »

Are they allowing splitting in service for these trains?

Am I right in thinking it's not allowed with the 165s/166s? (ie with pax aboard)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2017, 12:24:46 »

Both the new trains, and old trains (including Turbos), can split and join with passengers on board, providing permissive passenger signalling is available at the station concerned.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2017, 12:26:12 »

With the limited number of platforms at Paddington and the nature of the GWR (Great Western Railway) lines splitting, perhaps GWR/NR» (Network Rail - home page) should look at running some services as

• 10/5 train splitting at BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) for South Wales and Bristol

This will allow destinations to be serviced more frequently, and hopefully spread out load better.

That might indeed be a possibility off-peak, though you have to be careful about not extending journey times too much.

chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2017, 15:14:28 »

Not sure about the other 2, but a 5 car is nowhere near enough for traffic into and within South Wales, unless the frequency was doubled - Cardiff already has a half hourly service from the morning peak through to the evening peak and outside that hourly, so I can't see how frequency could really be improved without impacting other services or requiring many more new trains.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2017, 16:06:24 »

I used the Swansea/Cardiff train to London Padddington for 5 years, commuting from BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) to RDG(resolve).

In the morning, the train was never busy until Swindon and in the evening seats where usually available from Swindon.

So, a 10 carriage train with 5 carriages restricted for Wales should be ok.

My original idea was never to replace all trains to from Wales, Coltswolds, Bristol and Southwest with split trains but to add flexible capacity to service all the main branches of the GWR (Great Western Railway) network frequently. Regular 10 carriage trains will still be the back bone of the network in most places, but I don't think anyone could justify a 10 carriage train from Swansea to London every 30 minutes, or even an hour.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2017, 16:11:09 »

It's getting pax in the right 5car unit for their destination that will always be the problem
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2017, 16:15:06 »

Portion working is used in many places on the network. Getting it to work on GWR (Great Western Railway) should be no more problematical than elsewhere.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2017, 16:23:21 »

So why aren't they choosing to use it now?
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2017, 16:28:59 »

Of the two trains to South Wales the one only going to Cardiff is off-peak at least quite a bit lower loaded than the Swansea one - maybe this is in part because it seems to get cancelled at the slightest whiff of any main line disruption anywhere on GWR (Great Western Railway)(!). When introduced the 180 coped but I'm sure it wouldn't be enough now though.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: