07:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 04:38:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[94] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[77] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[57] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[50] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[29] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Somerset District and Circle line  (Read 13979 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 08, 2015, 09:49:28 »

A new proposal from Somerset, being advocated by several attendees at the RailFuture conference yesterday (though not, be it stressed, Railfuture sponsored)

http://somersetdistrictandcircleline.com

Serving the local community since 1906, the original Langport East station site at Eastover was closed in September 1962 as part of the Beeching cuts. Later the Langport West station was also closed, leaving no railway stations to serve the area of Langport and Huish Episcopi.

An unofficial survey in 2004 showed that one of the main hopes of the residents of Langport was to have the railway station reopened.

A new Langport station could see environmentally-friendly sprinter type trains connecting the town to Taunton and Castle Cary.

Using some of the carriages from the District and Circle Lines in London, which are being taken out of service, and refurbishing these to be powered by biomethane (renewable natural gas made from local organic wastes) will result in an environmentally friendly, low carbon, sustainable railway service.

Hence the name ^Somerset District and Circle Line^ which will eventually serve a series of re-opened and existing stations on a circular route through , Langport, Taunton, Bridgwater, Weston-super Mare, Bristol, Bath, Bradford on Avon, Trowbridge Westbury, Frome, Bruton, Castle Cary, Somerton, Upton and back to Langport. The number of reopened stations will depend on the funds we can raise from the government and local communities.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 20:05:15 »

I like the route idea, but not the rolling stock one.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 20:12:53 »

I like the route idea, but not the rolling stock one.

Indeed, 40ish miles of main line running with stock restricted to 60mph would not be ideal.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 21:02:08 »

A station at Langport, with a population of less that 5,000, will probably require flows other than residents to come up with a good BCR (Benefit Cost Ratio) ... and I fear that there's a lot of paths gobbled up by that slow train; not too much of a problem at the moment, but with the aspiration of 3 hours to Plymouth plus high speed regional services, some careful diagrams would be needed at the least in the future, would they not?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 22:04:22 »

Langport and Somerton are part of large swathe of south central Somerset that is more than 10 miles from a railhead. More than a 5000 passenger base I suggest.

There's also the Local Plans for these areas specifying more housing. Although, as you'd expect, there's a great deal of resistance, nay Nimbyism, to such plans.

By the way, the idea of bringing LU rolling stock to this part of the world has already been suggested:

http://carryonlangport.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/piccadilly-line.html?m=1

Regards,

bignosemac

(Temporary resident of the Langport area annoyed at having to rely on woeful bus services. Who would be delighted to become a regular user of a reopened Langport station).

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 00:57:07 »

A station at Langport, with a population of less that 5,000, will probably require flows other than residents to come up with a good BCR (Benefit Cost Ratio) ... and I fear that there's a lot of paths gobbled up by that slow train; not too much of a problem at the moment, but with the aspiration of 3 hours to Plymouth plus high speed regional services, some careful diagrams would be needed at the least in the future, would they not?

Is this concern about paths and diagrams actually closer to home grahame,  rather than about aspirational journey times to Plymouth?

Slotting in a 'Somerset' loop service via Trowbridge, Westbury, Frome and Castle Cary could have an effect on TransWilts and Heart of Wessex aspirations.

What about a Swindon to Taunton inter regional service? Re-double Thingley to Bradford...

Local services between Westbury and Taunton can be kept out of the way of Devon and Cornwall expresses with existing infrastructure. You've got the Westbury avoider and Frome loop. It's only really Castle Cary to Cogload that may be a pinch point,  but that isnt a really heavily used section. I'm sure an hourly service calling at Somerton, then Langport, could be fitted in. Be that a 'Somerset Loop' service or Swindon-Taunton...

Of course I fully understand the TransWilts focus is the other way toward Salisbury.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 01:06:37 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 07:52:27 »

I would have thought the main capacity issue for this circle would be from Bristol to Bath. Bearing in mind the proposal for MetroWest. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 08:21:02 »

It struck me in James White's presentation at Metro West on Saturday, when he talked about population areas and work areas, that  Bath was shown as "+9000 jobs" with no additional residence at all nearby, and that's because Wiltshire is not part of West of England ... but that's where the balancing residential is from.

West of England has a half-hourly local service Temple Meads, Keynsham, [Saltford}, Oldfleld Park, Bath Spa ... one service already in place extends Freshford, Avoncliff, Bradford-on-Avon, Trowbridge - Westbury with "some services continuing" - Brighton, Warminster, Frome, Weymouth.   The second service is an interesting one - reversal in the platform at Bath seems out (though the CrossCountry service to (?) Edinburgh does so) and there are looks at Bathampton Junction, and at extending to Westbury; an alternative would be to {Corsham}, Chippenham [Bay], {Royal Wootton Bassett} and Swindon, with an electric unit.  In the "Westbury" mix - or indeed without it - there's sense in extending more services to / via Frome, with hourly TransWilts becoming the second train south of Westbury to Salisbury and beyond.

If/when we have a Plymouth and Cornwall express and an Exeter semi-fast via Berks and Hants and Castle Cary, that two-hourly service would provide a far improved Frome - Taunton link than we have at present, and I do wonder about an extra call between Castle Cary and Taunton.   Question in my mind is would such a station generate extra new traffic to sufficient level, or would much of the traffic be abstracted from park-and-ride at Castle Cary to park-and-ride at the new station?   Still a potential improvement if it's much easier to get to the new station, but not all a bed of roses.   I don't see Castle Cary being so busy that it can't cope and could do with relief, except on a handful of special days each year.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 08:50:52 »

Well, I do hope there is to be no, "I'm alright Jack", attitude from neighbouring campaign groups worried about their paths and flows.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 09:06:27 »

Could this be an ideal service to extend from Taunton to the WSR (Norton end), thereby reestablishing a connection?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 09:35:17 »

I would have thought the main capacity issue for this circle would be from Bristol to Bath. Bearing in mind the proposal for MetroWest. 

Via Mangotsfield? (Sorry, did I say that out loud?)

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 10:12:56 »

Well, I do hope there is to be no, "I'm alright Jack", attitude from neighbouring campaign groups worried about their paths and flows.

Yes, so do I - I hope there's a working together to combine flows and services to make better business cases.

Feeding into Westbury from the north ... you have hourly (potentially half hourly) local from Bristol and beyond, and two-hourly (potentially hourly?) from Swindon.   Onward to the south - looking at Weymouth, at Salisbury / Southampton, at shorter journeys to Warminster and Frome, and at aspirations such as Taunton via Langport and at Radstock - North Somerset Railway were also at Railfuture - see http://www.northsomersetrailway.com :

FIRST AGM (Annual General Meeting) OF THE REJUVENATED COMPANY - 24 OCTOBER 2015
This was the first AGM of the rejuvenated Company. On the same day we demonstrated the new train simulator and a working model of the proposed Mells Road Station. Personnel were on hand to answer questions and the project was discussed at length. We would like to express our thanks to the large numbers of the public in Radstock who visited this exhibition. It was made very clear by the people of Radstock that they want the link restored and strongly support it. Negotiations are in progress at the moment and the public will be kept informed.

My bolding in there - those works indicate national connection to me, rather than isolated heritage aspiration.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 18:22:50 »

In the proposed route: "a circular route through , Langport, Taunton, Bridgwater, Weston-super Mare, Bristol, Bath, Bradford on Avon, Trowbridge Westbury, Frome, Bruton, Castle Cary, Somerton, Upton and back to Langport. The number of reopened stations will depend on the funds we can raise from the government and local communities" where is Upton?

About the rest of the route, it strikes me that Frome, for instance, although within what might be called the 'Greater Bristol and Bath commuting zone' is rather an oddity here, due to the roundabout route the rails go, heading north-east to reach destinations that are to the west (Bristol, Bath, Bradford). So I can't see, on that basis (but I don't really know much about this) that being a popular route when it's in competetion with cars and buses. Frome to Somerton and Taunton, and the other direction to Westbury for connections to Melksham(!), Swindon, Warminster and beyond, on the other hand, seems far more likely. But then that bit is there already.

Edit: Ok, found Upton, in the place suggested by the route list, between Somerton and Langport. Seems very small to have any hope of getting a station.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 20:05:30 »

The rather ambitious Somerset Circle Line seems an unlikely scheme to succeed in the present circumstances. But if a small miracle were to occur in the shape of Langport and/or Somerton stations reopening, plus the ready availability of refurbished LU units, the best scheme would surely to have a Norton Fitzwarren - Castle Cary shuttle. When the WSR is closed the termination point would be Taunton.

This new service would mean the good people of Langport and Somerton could change at Taunton for journeys westward, or east to Bristol and the north. Eastbound they would change at ' Cary for Weymouth, London, Bath etc. By doing this, and not extending any further towards Frome & Westbury, main line HSTs (High Speed Train) would not be inconvenienced. Any thoughts?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 20:55:16 »

Carrying on to at least Frome gets potential local services totally out of the way of expresses. Terminating and turning back at Castle Cary seems fraught with problems. Ideally at least Westbury with a 4th platform.

As already said I dont think the ex District stock would be the answer. 60mph is too slow. 90mph Turbos on the other hand... only 10mph off current max line speed for HSTs (High Speed Train) between Westbury and Taunton, which is likely to be the same for Class 802s.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: