18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
19:00 Liskeard to Looe
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 19:25:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[73] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[58] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists
[47] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: West of England Joint Transport Study - Consultation open until 29 January 2016  (Read 4543 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2015, 17:25:12 »

I few months ago, in an aberrent moment, I started filling out an online questionnaire from a political party. This purported to be their way of finding out what people like, well, me, think. Imagine my surprise when it turned out that they did not, in fact, give a flying **** what I thought, but rather they were attempting to persuade me to vote for them. Hey ho; we live and learn.

I just received my invitation to comment on the West of England Joint Transport Study (see https://www.jointplanningwofe.org.uk/consult.ti/JTSissues2015/consultationHome) purporting to want to know what I think about how transport should develop in the next few years in what, call me old-fashioned, I will continue to describe as Greater Bristol. I do have views on this subject (I really do!), but I won't be responding because I have this creeping sense that any answers I may give will be twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools. Your cynicism may vary.

However, aside from a number of questions whose answers could easily be taken to mean 'I think they should build more places like Bradley Stoke, but this time with bigger roads and car parks', here are a couple of highlights:

* Extended MetroBus network - Build on our emerging Bus Rapid Transit network with more MetroBus routes, potentially including new routes to eastern Bristol, orbital connections, and extensions to North Somerset towns.

* Extend MetroWest - Further improvements to the MetroWest rail concept which could improve the Henbury line, new rail line re-openings, and more capacity between Bristol and Bath and to South Wales. Issues: Would include significant time and cost required to make improvements to rail infrastructure. (Oh well, let's not bother then - Ed)

* MetroWest ++ - This would be a significant and ambitious upgrade to the local rail network which could make it more akin to a metro or 'tram-train' network, and may include new and re-opened routes along with wholesale electrification. Issues: The time required to make improvements to rail infrastructure. Such ambition may be unaffordable.

The phrase 'Such ambition may be unaffordable' made me feel physically sick.

I hear they're putting up new signs on the outskirts of WoE (how appropriately-named): Welcome to the West of England: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 17:31:42 »

The phrase 'Such ambition may be unaffordable' made me feel physically sick.
'We reckon you wouldn't vote for us if we charged the council tax this would require'.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 14:54:00 by Bmblbzzz » Logged

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 17:40:49 »

Rather liked the comparison by Red Squirrel of the WoE to Dantes inferno, with this exceptionally mild November by day and by night. I too had the same invitation and likewise am reluctant to respond in case my email ends up on all sorts of undesirable lists.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 10:34:41 »

From my mailbox ... looks to be a public consultation ...

West of England Joint Planning

West of England Joint Transport Study

[You've] been invited to participate in the West of England Joint Transport Study consultation by the consultation manager, Rob Levenston.

This consultation is open from 9 Nov 2015 at 10:00 to 29 Jan 2016 at 17:00.

Have your say as we start a new Transport Study for the West of England

The four West of England Councils would like your involvement in drawing up a study which will help steer transport investment and policy in our area over the next 20 years up to 2036.

The Joint Transport Study will be completed by the end of 2016. At this early stage we would like your views about the objectives of the study; what the existing transport issues are in our area; and what schemes you would like considered by the study.

You can view a Joint Transport Study summary and make comments using an online survey. A supporting technical paper called the ^key principles^ report is also available on our website.

We are seeking views about the Joint Transport Study at the same time as a Joint Spatial Plan consultation.

Copies of the Joint Spatial Plan Issues and Options and Joint Transport Study documents will soon be available to view in local libraries and Council Offices throughout Bath and North East Somerset, Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire. A series of ^road shows^ will be taking place across the four Council areas, details of which will be publicised on the website. These will provide the opportunity to talk to planners and transport officers about the issues raised.

Please let us have your views no later than Friday 29 January 2016.

If you have any questions please email comment@jointplanningwofe.org.uk or ring one of the following numbers, depending on which local authority area is relevant to you:

- Bath and North East Somerset - 01225 477548
- Bristol - 0117 903 6725
- North Somerset - 01934 426775
- South Gloucestershire - 01454 863469

Further information is also available at: www.jointplanningwofe.org.uk.

registration: https://www.jointplanningwofe.org.uk/consult.ti/system/register

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 13:30:17 »

Maybe this threadlet should be moved here? http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=16438.msg186340#msg186340

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 18:34:33 »

Previous posts have now been split off and merged into this new, specific, topic here.  CfN.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: