Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:57:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[129] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[111] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[41] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[39] access for all at Devon stations report
[25] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[20] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrification - so Cascade - so congestion easing - delayed.  (Read 36468 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2016, 11:49:39 »

As many as that? Gatwick & Greenfords, yes....
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2016, 12:32:50 »

Gatwicks will require at least 9 when the new half-hourly Reading to Gatwick starts plus the Shalford/Redhill stoppers, possibly requiring 10 during peaks.
Greenfords x 2
If Henley and Windsor are not electrified then another 2 possibles? (At least temporarily)
Last I heard Marlow hadn't been decided on with regards to electrification in which case another possible 2.
Newbury to Bedwyn requires 1 (though whether this is based at Reading or Westbury/Bristol I do not know.
The Basingstoke branch requires 2 or 3 until electrification is carried out, possibly not until the early 2020s.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2016, 12:36:28 »

[scotrail HST (High Speed Train) delivery]
...They will need to be modified before they go into service with ScotRail, to incorporate such features as power operated doors and other requirements (RVAR, PRM (Persons with Reduced Mobility)-TSI) to allow them to operate into 2020 and beyond.

When compared with the dates of departure from GWR (Great Western Railway), they have at least a year in hand to modify them.   The numbers are all replaced by bi-mode SETS, and there is no suggestions that they won't arrive in time to release HSTs.

Paul
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2016, 12:48:00 »

Even if the wires are late & they're needed to cover the electric IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) (assuming they don't get the diesel engines rumoured)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2016, 13:14:53 »

[scotrail HST (High Speed Train) delivery]
...They will need to be modified before they go into service with ScotRail, to incorporate such features as power operated doors and other requirements (RVAR, PRM (Persons with Reduced Mobility)-TSI) to allow them to operate into 2020 and beyond.

When compared with the dates of departure from GWR (Great Western Railway), they have at least a year in hand to modify them.   The numbers are all replaced by bi-mode SETS, and there is no suggestions that they won't arrive in time to release HSTs.

Paul

Agreed.  It looks like Scotland's plans are unlikely to gang aft agley.

There is also the possibly of derogations from the technical requirements (power doors etc).  HMG has to date not indicated any inclination to grant any, but a few months hear or there for a small number of vehicles might not be impossible. 

Edit note: Quote marks fixed, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 20:18:35 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2016, 20:16:06 »

It was reported on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Spotlight last night that GWR (Great Western Railway) are looking into running shorter HSTs (High Speed Train) to cover local services in Devon and Cornwall because of the expected delays in the rolling stock cascade. A test run, which I think is reported elsewhere on this forum, took place late last year using a five coach HST.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2016, 20:45:19 »

I understand experiments were run with 2+4 and 2+5 and the braking on the latter configuration was found more acceptable.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2016, 21:50:17 »

Gatwicks will require at least 9 when the new half-hourly Reading to Gatwick starts plus the Shalford/Redhill stoppers, possibly requiring 10 during peaks.
Greenfords x 2
If Henley and Windsor are not electrified then another 2 possibles? (At least temporarily)
Last I heard Marlow hadn't been decided on with regards to electrification in which case another possible 2.
Newbury to Bedwyn requires 1 (though whether this is based at Reading or Westbury/Bristol I do not know.
The Basingstoke branch requires 2 or 3 until electrification is carried out, possibly not until the early 2020s.

I didn't think 165 or 166s ran on the Basingstoke branch any more.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2016, 21:51:30 »

You're correct, but I would expect they would revert to Turbo stock though once enough units were available.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2016, 09:48:56 »

I didn't think 165 or 166s ran on the Basingstoke branch any more.

I have no clue about what is supposed to run on the Basingstoke branch but anecdotally it has been a mixture of Turbos and 150's for quite some time.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2016, 12:09:53 »

I have no clue about what is supposed to run on the Basingstoke branch but anecdotally it has been a mixture of Turbos and 150's for quite some time.

Weekdays, it's supposed to be the two Class 150s from start of service until around 9pm when Turbos finish the day off.  Weekends exclusively Turbos.  However, with a fleet of two and a daily allocation of two it's certainly not uncommon to find one of the two daily diagrams covered by a Class 166 - toady is an example of that.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2016, 12:20:04 »

I thought one of the 150s had gone back west - or was that only for the summer?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2016, 12:31:10 »

Pretty sure they're both at Reading at the moment, just that 150001 is stopped.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
litecactus

View Profile Email
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2016, 15:06:49 »

Pretty sure they're both at Reading at the moment, just that 150001 is stopped.

It was 2 turbos on Thursday, I couldn't see any of them at the depot. I've heard rumours that 150001 is getting repainted green.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2016, 16:04:27 »

Yes it could well be away at the paint shop - think that both units are based at Reading still though.  Certainly the drivers diagrams have both units allocated to 150s still.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: