Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:14 Plymouth to Penzance
09:44 London Paddington to Hereford
11:10 Westbury to Frome
11:14 London Paddington to Oxford
11:25 Frome to Bristol Temple Meads
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
08:13 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
08:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
08:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
09:40 Westbury to Weymouth
09:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
10:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
08:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 10:06:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[101] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[60] access for all at Devon stations report
[26] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[23] Cornish delays
[8] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[3] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 9.27 Maidenhead to Paddington - peak or off peak train?  (Read 14512 times)
johoare

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2015, 19:01:35 »

This train is a fairly new addition to the timetable and is non-stop from Maidenhead to Paddington.

When it first appeared there were signs on the ticket machines at Maidenhead to say you needed a peak/anytime ticket for this train (even though the stopping train before it is an off-peak one - the 9.19 departure).

Those signs have now gone. However on the nationalrail site it is still saying you need an anytime ticket to get this train yet the station announcer at Maidenhead yesterday was telling everyone it's a off-peak service.. Does anyone know which is correct please?
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 19:25:15 »

I can answer your question with another question.

Basically the restriction code P7 is relevant here. The off-peak ticket is not valid on trains timed to arrive in London Terminals before 10.00 (Mondays to Fridays). If this new train arrives after 10.00 then the off-peak ticket is valid IMO (in my opinion).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 19:27:39 »

I'm wondering whether an easement has (or should) be made, given that it's a HST (High Speed Train) which has only called at Reading and will have plenty of seats, unlike the first off-peak stopping trains which are often full to bursting by West Drayton.  Perhaps Ollie can help?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 19:32:42 »

The 09.19 arrives at 10.04 and the 09.27 arrives at 09.52.

So an off-peak ticket is fine for the 09.27, but an anytime is required for the 09.19 (in the absence of further info as IndustryInsider has suggested that Ollie may be able to check).

(I am just considering singles here - further considerations would be required for a return).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 19:48:38 »

Wrong way round surely Fourbee. Arrival time before 1000 determines Peak validity for Maidenhead-Paddington.

0919 is Off Peak as it arrives 1004
0927 is Peak as it arrives 0952

Locally advertised easements notwithstanding. No easements listed against the restriction code P7.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 20:37:54 »

Yes BNM's post is correct. I got them the wrong way round. I could find no easements/caveats either.
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 07:15:52 »

No easements for this train that I'm aware of sorry, so it would be counted as peak.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 10:26:06 »

Next question is why was Maidenhead station announcer saying the 0927 was Off Peak?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 11:30:03 »

I've let the fares team know that aspect so they can look into it further and take any action they feel is appropriate.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 15:13:46 »

Next question is why was Maidenhead station announcer saying the 0927 was Off Peak?

Possibly an exception on the day to a short formed, delayed or cancelled local service?

I've let the fares team know that aspect so they can look into it further and take any action they feel is appropriate.

If you ask me, if it's not going to just be a short-term addition to the timetable it would be eminently sensible to put an easement at both Reading and Maidenhead to relieve other longer distance already full trains.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 00:15:58 »

Thanks, as ever, for your very useful input here on the Coffee Shop forum, Ollie!  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 10:46:54 »

This example just demonstrates how fiendishly complex the fares system is. The aim of different ticket flavours is clear, to use price as a tool to spread demand to where the capacity is; the implementation and training (of staff and customers) has been demonstrated to have several holes.

I generally think passengers understand advance fares now. The focus needs to be on:

- Training staff to a higher level - they should be the authority; no more situations like BNM had on Paddington gateline.
- Finding a mechanism to explain the anytime/off-peak/super off-peak cut-overs more clearly to customers, especially with restrictions focussing on the trains' final arrival times.
- A reasonable way to deal with disputes, including defined timescales for resolution, which is independent of the TOCs (Train Operating Company); a passenger should not miss a train on a technical point, it should be followed up later.

Despite being 3 years' old, this makes interesting (horrifying?) reading and hopefully emphasises why the third point is important:
http://www.transportfocus.org.uk/research/publications/ticket-to-ride-full-report-may-2012
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 14:20:21 »

Bit of an update on this one...

Off peak IS valid on this train (not from Reading though).

An easement was put in place in September. For some reason it's not in systems but was briefed locally, the fares team are working to try and get it so that the info is consistent at a stations and online journey planning level, but I don't have a date for when that will be corrected.

The positive of course is that you're most welcome to use an off peak ticket on that train Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 14:33:30 »

Left hand. Meet the right hand.  Roll Eyes

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 15:08:54 »

Left hand. Meet the right hand.  Roll Eyes

Yes indeed, though credit to GWR (Great Western Railway) for allowing that easement which is a most sensible decision which will not just affect Maidenhead passengers.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: