Delayed
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:22 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 12:08:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[119] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[45] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[39] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[38] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[28] Broadgage unwell.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Gender Equality on British Railways  (Read 9086 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 19, 2015, 05:48:47 »

DEVIZES MP (Member of Parliament) and rail minister Claire Perry has condemned the "dismal performance" of Britain's railways on gender equality after a study found just 16% of the workforce are female.

She said there was "no excuse" for the figure and warned that the railways risk "looking like the industry that time has left behind".

Campaign group Women in Rail found that just 14,024 of the 85,723 people employed across the rail sector are female.

It expressed concern that the majority were in customer-facing roles, with just 4% in engineering.

Ms Perry claimed this was doing damage to equal pay.

She noted that salaries for station assistants start at ^12,500 a year while Network Rail is currently advertising for engineers who will earn just under ^40,000 a year.

"When women are prevented from taking the jobs they could excel at just because they are women, they're not just having their choices restricted. They are missing out economically," Ms Perry said.

It is a big jump from "just 16% are female" to "women are prevented from taking the jobs they could excel at just because they are women".  Are there not factors such as women putting a stronger preference than men on jobs which do not involve late evening / overnight / early morning work which also slew proportions?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 09:41:44 »

Shift-work & kids don't actually go well together - that is the crux of her problem
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 10:23:40 »

Maybe women simply just don't want to or are not interested in working on the railways, same as many other 'heavy' industries? Can you really force them to do so in the name of equality?!
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 11:22:25 »

Maybe women simply just don't want to or are not interested in working on the railways, same as many other 'heavy' industries? Can you really force them to do so in the name of equality?!

No.  And you can only recruit from those who apply.  But the industry could do a better job at attracting applicants from the whole community.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 11:33:11 »

Shift-work & kids don't actually go well together - that is the crux of her problem

NO.  With respect, the crux of the problem is that automatic assumption that looking after kids is a problem for working mothers but not working fathers. 

shift work can fit with parenthood.  My wife works lots of evenings (as a musician) and that fits quite well with my 9 to 5.  In my experience what really causes problems and what we struggle with is irregular hours.  As that makes paid child care impossible or even coordination between both parents really difficult. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 11:37:34 »

But shifts include early AM as well as lates. Could you cope if your wife did 4.30 to lunchtime for a week?
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 11:50:34 »

But shifts include early AM as well as lates. Could you cope if your wife did 4.30 to lunchtime for a week?

Plenty of people do manage to juggle shift work with parenting outside of the railway industry (e.g. police, nursing, steelworks, bus driving, road haulage, offshore O&G etc etc etc), so why should shift work be any different on the railways?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 11:56:13 »

reasonable comment, sir!
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 09:33:52 »

That would work very easily at least during term time.  I take the kids to school on the way to work, and she is home on time to pick them up from School. 

The problems would come if her shifts were forever chopping and changing, or worst still if we were both on changing shift patterns.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 10:45:50 »

Plenty of people do manage to juggle shift work with parenting outside of the railway industry (e.g. police, nursing, steelworks, bus driving, road haulage, offshore O&G etc etc etc), so why should shift work be any different on the railways?
What is the male:female ratio of staff in those jobs? Other than perhaps police and nursing, I'd be supprised if the percentage of women in those roles is much different to the rail industry.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 14:43:09 »

There are cases of preferring women for jobs just to up the ratio.   People should be appointed on merit, the best person for the job, so long as no section is discriminated against.   This equality and diversity obsession takes the wrong direction.   I've never heard it said that more men should be recruited as nurses.
All that is needed is a law on one piece of paper saying:-

Nobody is to be discrimated against regardless of gender, race, religion etc.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 15:17:05 »

This equality and diversity obsession takes the wrong direction.   I've never heard it said that more men should be recruited as nurses.

I think it is important to separate two rather different, but related, issues: equality and diversity.

Equality is about non-discrimination in choosing the best person for the job.  I think that we both agree that that should be illegal to discriminate as it is.

Diversity is something else.  It is recognising that a diverse workforce as a whole performs better than a non-diverse workforce.  I would argue that an industry should improve its diversity  because it is good business sense.  At the moment, we have a rail industry with low diversity and that struggling to fill posts in engineering etc.  Attracting young women into those roles alongside young men is simple good business practice as it gives you a wider pool to pick the best person for the job from. 

There is a nasty chicken and egg situation here in that there are few women in the rail industry and that leads to the industry being perceived as male dominated and that discourages women from seeing it as a career option and that leads to few women in the rail industry and round and round the cycle goes.   A reasonable amount of extra support to get women to apply for the jobs (which are then allocated purely on merit) would make things better and you would start to see a virtuous cycle. 

And, I'll say it - more men should be recruited as nurses.  The Royal COllege of nursing has been saying so too for quite a while. 
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 15:24:42 »

A few years ago, before being 'enforced' to take early retirement, I remember going to what was then the new flavour of the month - Diversity training. One conversation that has stuck with me since then included this quote from the trainer....... "It is actually legal in the UK (United Kingdom) to discriminate against the UK's second biggest ethnic group - the white, British male aged over 40". I have not been able to confirm this, but I recall the statement as if it were yesterday.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 15:37:34 »

It's true.....on the premise that anything is legal unless it's illegal.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 16:22:44 »

A few years ago, before being 'enforced' to take early retirement, I remember going to what was then the new flavour of the month - Diversity training. One conversation that has stuck with me since then included this quote from the trainer....... "It is actually legal in the UK (United Kingdom) to discriminate against the UK's second biggest ethnic group - the white, British male aged over 40". I have not been able to confirm this, but I recall the statement as if it were yesterday.

Don't be ridiculous.  It is not legal to discriminate on grounds of sex, race, nationality or age.  A white, British male over 40  (like me) is protected 4 times over.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 16:31:21 by Tim » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: