14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 15:03:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[99] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[88] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[35] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[32] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Update to Melksham Rail Development Group  (Read 813 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 21, 2015, 13:45:57 »

Below is my report sent on Thursday evening for the MRDG» (Melksham Railway Development Group - about) meeting last night (Friday).   Useful to post here a quick update of what's going on.

* ACoRP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships) awards, 1st October

Lee Fletcher shortlisted for Individual volunteer award, but in this the "hardest fought category" he didn't make the top 3.   Still very well done Lee for being in the top 6.

* TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website), October 6th, Taunton

Peter Blackburn also present ... to report to MRDG

* Santa

Tickets on sale at TIC (Tourist Information Centre) and all running nicely towards 2 trains (14:45 and 16:45) with a return trip to Swindon.  Advertised via MIN and Bowerhill Villager, but sales much slower initially this year than previously. I guess because the train from Melksham is no longer a novelty.  Have been pressing trip via Facebook / will check with TIC when back from Leeds.   I will do presents / wrapping at Well House Manor on 9th December. Surprised at 20:00 time for that in minutes; would prefer earlier.

* Subway

Bruce Saunders coming to MRDG to speak to this. School took on project at start of year, council whitewashed/painted subway ready for their treatment scheduled for early July.  Didn't happen / chaser in September brought them to Town Council to present on 9th November, now talking needing 35k pounds, and provionally summer 2016 if they can raise that, for a very nice looking (and robust) tiled approach.  Basically they need help / encouragement in the admin; teacher involved has very limited availabilty, in the meantime white walls are a graffiti magnet.

Suggestions made include temporary paint job, other funding routes that individual companys in the town (town council will match func up to 5K) and (good idea) meeting specifically to pull this forward at a time that MRDG, Bruce, Martina, Kelly, John H and perhaps others can all make.    Data / correspondence with Peter and John.  I have 150 Mb of presentation, etc, from school in my dropbox.

* Survey needed

Need identified to do passenger counts at some point over the next few weeks. Suggest NOT a full survey.  Suggest Tuesday 15th December Huh Ask David Phillips for advise on date.   I am personally available for most on Friday 27th November / otherwise very tied up until 14.12

* LSTF (Local Sustainable Transport Fund) Film

From Heather Blake, WC (Wiltshire Council (Unitary Authority)), on 11th November: "We are hoping to make a short video celebrating the success of the TransWilts service. The video will say how successful the service is and interview people using the train i.e. saying how the service has made a difference to their lives, how much they enjoy using it, etc.  We will be filming on the train and in Melksham on 27th November. Would you like to be interviewed as part of the video? We^ll probably only need about 30 seconds of footage as the video itself won^t be very long.".   I am pencilled in to take part / selected as the CRP (Community Rail Partnership) representative.

* Update on numbers, reliability, arrival sources, overcrowding

Passenger numbers are back up to where they were before the summer "down time".   We do note that we lost around 6 to 10 regular commuters when the Rail Link bus ceased, but these have been made up for by other growth.  Car park at station full most days, new extra car park typically has around 10 cars in 20 spaces at present.  Almost all users are rail passengers (was fear of parking for surrounding businesses

17:36 from Swindon being described as "overcrowded" and "ridiculous" by passenger travelling on it.  Standing daily from Chippenham to Melksham.

Reliability is pretty good ... very very much better than in the past. Issue still remains that if a train is cancelled, there's a LONG wait for the next one.

Noting from personal commuting use of the train that on 3 days out of 4, long distance / overseas passengers arrived. Emphasises that subjects like subway and taxi are important.

* TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) and Web information

Working well (just one failure noted in wet weather).  Grumbles about light on screen in afternoon (fair comment, but at least that's not at busiest time of day for ticket sales).

WHY does TVM offer London Off Peak at ^64 return on front screen at the weeknd when a super offpeak at ^56 is valid on all trains?

Information screen works about half the time ... otherwise has a "restarting" or "information temporarily unavailable" message on it.

* Car Parking for station

Complaints via Pat Aves from users of Roundstone about people parking there all day ^for station^.  Have established with Pat that these are not station parkers, but people packing for Blenhiem House and perhaps for the Gym.

* 7th November / Railfuture

TransWilts CRP entered four categories in the national awards in September - winners announced at Bristol conference on 7th November.   Bob Morrison (Swindon, Friends, Coffee Shop) got individual volunteer commendation. Web site (TransWilts + Coffee Shop) got silver. TransWilts campaign got silver for raising the line to the current passenger levels.  Social media campaign for the Weymouth Wizard from Swindon and Chippenham got gold.  Ask Bob and Horace Prickett (both there) for more details.

* 14th November / Campaign fof Better Transport

Setting up of Campaign Co-ordinate group for South West in Bristol; around 30 attendees, spoke to by Stephen Joseph of CBT(resolve) and Steve Melia of UWE.  I was worried that a new group would dilute TWSW, and that the co-ordinate campaign arena would nail its flag to the "no new roads" mast.  Turned out to be a small meeting (just 30 people), no FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) even thouth it was in Montpelier, but almost all interets was public transport. Fascinating talk from both key speakers / I have rough notes for anyone interested and they're on the forum.

I took the opportunity to update Stephen Joseph on TransWilts and to thank him for his help in pressing the TransWilts case for LSTF funding. He told me of discussions the award commitee of which he was a member had about whether it would work - I was previously aware he spoke for us there - and it was good to update him on current good news (his slides for the day already contained early good news from last year)

There is concern at TWSW about dilution of effort and confusion at too many bodies; Jenny Raggett and I spoke in open conversation about this in front of the audience. General feeling is that TWSW is far less campaigning but as such allows the campaigners to meet the operators and everyone to be informed via the middle ground of what works for everyone. A CBT group would also look at road, cycling and walking which are not key strong TWSW elements.   I didn't see anyone at the CT meeting likely to take up the organisation of such a group; even was in essence run by their out-of-region team.

* Somerset District and Circle; Radstock

Note these two schemes - the first look at using D Trains on a Bristolcircular via Castle Cary, with re-openend stations at Langport and Somerton. The group talks of GWR (Great Western Railway) being highly supportive of their plans and their being line capacity available; I remain to hear that message from GWR, and I'm not convinced on capacity and robustness.

Radstock is again coming live; watch this space (or thir web space) - a view to connecting to the main network. One of the natural "forward routes" for Radstock trains would be Swindon;  Frome to Bath and Bristol is already 'round the houses' and rail journeys Radstock to Bath would cover 3 or 4 times the miles as the crow flies, and as the car drives.

* Wilton

Excellent launch in the autumn at Wilton.  Part of the artillary and (?) green enhancement to Stonehenge plans.  Meeting with Wilton estate who own land between P&R (Park and Ride) and station very positive - giving access to houring which would have enhanced value.   See (later) SWT (South West Trains) plans for more trains.

* Delays to electrification / cascade implications

Hendy report due out soon. I understand that Newbury, Oxford and Basignstoke electrification to be put back - which would reduce Thames Turbos being released for cascade.  Also other electricfication "to Bristol and Cardiff first".  Unclear as to whether Bristol is both routes or just via Parkway; unclear as to whether it starts off with electric to Swindon and diesel beyond at first.

NOTE - news about to break on this ...  (written 19:55 on 19th)

* Swindon Box

Next weekends, Swindon box closes and control tranfers to Didcot.  Trains replaced by buses.

* TPOD2 and TPOD3 - forthcoming disruption

10 days / 2 weeks "at" Easter 2016 and 2017 - railway closed from Bath to Bristol for electrification works.  During each of these periods, Cardiff - Portsmouth becomes Swindon - Portsmouth, hourly, and local trains withdrawn. Alternate calls at Melksham again.

GWR project lead tells me that "via Melksham" tickets will ONLY be valid on trains calling at Melksham; Transport Focus (Nina Howe) tell me they think GWR have it wrong, but I have taken it up with Matt Barnes at GWR rather than do anything that could go nuclear.

* Ticket Wallets and timetables

For friends, Santa passengers, regulars on 14th December - we have 3 frap TransWilts ticket wallets on order and are doing a mini-timetable to insert.   Trains on one side, buses (55, 55A, x34, 265) on the other.

Wallets will be for sale at ^2 thereafter / minitimetables used to stock TICs, etc.   FGW (First Great Western) have proofed trains side; bus side to be proofed.

Note addition of Frome and Southamton Airport to our line timetable.

* "Minor" tidies at station

List of 20+ items from last meeting ... "exit" sign relocated correctly, extra hoop added for extra litter bit (alas, not at station entrance) .  The old cycle cabinets have been repainted in GWR green (!) and Wilts Council have provided a sign of conditions in car park (typsetting a bit careless!).  Many other little items done too.

* TWSW

I have been invited to be a director of TWSW / have accepted and my election's an AGM (Annual General Meeting) vote next week.  Involves 4 or 5 meetings a year / I wanted to check that (a) I wasn't denying others who could be more active a place and (b) I wasn't expected to do more than I could.  I'm already on their circular / mailing flow and it's proving to be a good inforation feed.  Also feeding back and that gives us a more regional rather than only locally slanted input.

* 3 car and northen entrance

Peter Blackburn / update / report?

* SWT extra services

Extra services start mid December - Yeovil via Frome to / from Salisbury; significant in terms of extras for Frome and also in terms of trains through Wilton.   See 2017 franchise notes / consultation for other options / thoughs for furter trains on this route, for calls at Wilton.  Also for discussions of link up Swindon to Soutahmpton.

* 234 / x34 evening flows

Background - the 234 bus (Chippenham - Melksham - Trowbridge - Frome) ceased on 1st August.   That was both commercial runs up to 18:35 from Chippenham and the subsidised later services.  Faresaver x34 (same route, Monday to Friday daytime only, last service 17:30) had Saturday services added and some other minor adjustments.   Wiltshire Council asked First (and others) to quote for an evening service.  No-one would quote for the 18:35 service even though it had been commercial with between 12 and 20 passengers per day, and First's quote for later and quieter services only (when they have a vehicle available) hasn't been accepted nor rejected by Wiltshire Council.   Result - no evening buses.

Does this matter with regard to trains?   Yes - because the evening buses also took train tickets and the result of the loss of this bus is that it's no longer practical to get back into Melksham after the 19:00 from Paddington by public transport.

We understand that there is a meeting around 7th December to take a further look at this, but frankly much traffic has been lost by the slowness of any decision and there's a feeling it has been intentionally delayed.  In fact one Wilts council officer said "we got away with that" refereing to the lack of consultation and the fact it was done at the point that trains were temporarily running all evening due to engineeing works.  I certainly got a number of complaints when the evening trains ceased!

* Merger of Melksham Councils

Note that there's a move to either shift 700 homes from Melksham Without to Melksham Town, OR to merge Melksham Town and Melksham Without. Consultations took part at the end of October / start of November.

Is the conclusion is a merger, it means a single annual grant application rather than 2, and it means that "population of Melksham" is more correctly noted in Whitehall when looking at the town from afar. Probably other implications too.

* SW consultation (also XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and XR2)

Consultations are underway on the Crosscounty Franchise, on Crossrail 2 and on South West.  On Crosscountry, I (TWSW role) meeting them on 25th November as a minor part of the group; issues raised and agenda set by Coffee Shop forum inputs though.

Crossrail 2 probably has minimal effect on us.  Note that more paths into Waterloo may be available, so potentially more services up from Southampton and Salibury, and perhaps from Westbury.

SW trains - a lot of early work and consulation going on and of interest to us in Melksham. In particular note the extra trains running under the current Stagecoach franchise after 14th December between Westbury and Salisbury, and the new services between Westbury and Yeovil Junction via Pen Mill.  A Swindon - Solent service would run across GWR and SWT areas, and a new franchise might also be concerned with capaity improvements at Salisbury and at the availabiity of capacity at Westbury.  I would recommend an MRDG study of the documents with a view to input

* TW Friends

TW friends - a first newsletter has just been produced; in the throws of fine tuning things with Bob Morrison sending out stuff in short term.  I know an MRDG member has asked me to check his membership / doing this with Bob.

* TransWilts AGM

Feb 20th 2016, Jury's Inn, Swindon.  Annual Report needed for this.

* TWSW / March

March 5th 2016, Taunton.   (Note - there are other TWSW meetings planned provionally in January tomeet with Network Rail and with people associated with the South West Franchise.  I'm unsure if these are board or public level)

* TransWilts Link

April 16th 2016, Red Lion Hotel, Salisbury

* Community Rail Conference, March, HoW(resolve) area

Venue / Date / Agenda to be agreed.  Previous ones were near Newton Abbott - (Devon and Cornwall area) and Bristol (Severnside). This one is in Heart of Wessex territory - Vicky Cropper been out looking at venues; for 2017 suggestion has been mooted for TransWilts area with inputs from Three Rivers and that makes sense.

* TWCIC» (TransWilts Community Interest Company. - see here) offices and staffing

Meeting, offices, base now formally 48, Spa Road, Melksham, SN12 7NY [Well House Manor] though registered address remains elsewhere. Due to the massive increase in workload / activities as we go wider and support a service that's got 12 times the traffic it had 2 years ago and is growing at 30% a year now, things move around a bit; at present Paul Johnson - stategic.  Graham Ellis - tactics.  Bob Morrison - friends. With Peter Blackburn as president. Background reference to Lee Fletcher; some aspect with Mike Harley and Phil McMullen. 0845 459 0153 is number that may be given out.

Personally, I remain unbalanced and deaf in one ear after my medical issues in August and am unliely to recover hearing or total balance.  It limits what I can do on-platform in terms of surveys; no longer sure footed, and less able to hear what people are saying if I'm on the wrong side. Also tire more easily / can't walk as far.  Good news is that I'm around 90% of what I was and won't get worse.

* Andy McRae, Cynthia Legge, Ian White, Jason Salter, Tony Smale

Changes.  Andy moving on from publications dept. at GWR to Crossrail in February; new appointee to be advises.  Cynthia moving from Berryfield to North Somerset in the Spring.  Ian White (head f passenger transport at Wiltshire Council) retired 1.11.2015 / Jason Salter takes on his title. Some doubt between Phil Groocock who says "in title but not taking over the role which will fall on me" and what I'm seeing from the Pewsey bus team (Dawn Wilson, with inputs from many others including Kate Freeman) who are talking public transport buses with Jason. Tony Smal, who has produced the Railfuture "Rail User Express" monthly for a number of years and built it up to an eagerly awaited newsletter is giving up at the end of the year - huge pity if no-one else takes it on. Tony has been a good help to us / one of our survey team too.

* Bus budget cuts / Bus bill / Total Transport / RUH Hopper

Consulting for these items / working with Michelle Donelan and TWSW who have a bus seminar planned for the New Year. Lots of good ideas but relucatnce to risk at county and potential negative to ideas from bus operators.  But is we can sort out duplications, pricing, information, competition for company rather than passenger good, lack of integration it can be done.

* First Bus Customer Panel

Next meeting 6th January 2016.  With Natacha Tagholm gone, new contact Chris Hanson is a PR (Public Relations) man based in Bristol who is better at simplificatons to give a good PR slant than accuracy.  But then I've been to a number of presentations from First West of England recently and their key subject area is Bristol to the virtual exlusion of Bath, and Wiltshire is now the very end of their shrinhing territory

* Corsham Station

From Wilts Council via Anne Lock:  "We have now received the latest stages of the feasibility report from Atkins which covers operation/performance and commercial/economic matters with some high level station design matters. However, as we have a Non-Disclosure Agreement with Great Western Railway, we need to first liaise with them before we can issue anything from the report ^ I am currently waiting for a response from Matt Barnes (Regional Development Manager). Given this, we have provisionally agreed with GWR that we will seek to issue the report^s conclusion as soon as possible in the likelihood that GWR^s approval of the full report may take a few weeks."

* 2017 poster

Needs to be done

* WWRUG» (West Wiltshire Rail Users Group - about) report

Invited to have a meeting in Melksham. But "The Committee has discussed your kind offer to host a meeting in Melksham. After careful thought we have decided that at the moment it is not practical as we feel that very few of our members are likely to make the journey". [may have told you this before].   Next meeting: "The next public meeting of the West Wiltshire Rail Users Group will be at 7:00pm on Wednesday 25th November 2015 at the Civic Centre in Warminster. The speaker will be Matthew Collins, Operational Standards Manager, Central Region, for Great Western Railway. The talk is entitled "I want to be an Engine Driver"".

* Weymouth, summer 2016?

Hoping to repeat Wizard via TransWilts (and maybe able to connect from Melksham?)

* Town Centre bus stop

Threat of demolotion?  Ask Andy Hinchcliffe.  Note that we have been promised (verbal - needs to be written) that any new shelter will have poster boards like the current one for train timetables.

* Posters

Since the summer, the boards at Melksham have all bee taken by GWR material - we need to check with Nick Reid to ensure that we get a TransWilts and MRDG poster back up.

* Station usage figures

Due out in December. Entrance and exits were just under 4000 prior to 2001.  Year to 3.2013 were around 12000, year to 3.2014 (3.5 months of improved service) had risen to 23950.  No predictions except "much higher" for year to 3.2015.   Note that the figures between 2002 and 2012 were distorted by people buying Melksham to Bristol tickets but travelling Trowbridge to Bristol, and cannot be regarded as true passenger levels.

* 14th December

Celebration of 2 years / on morning trains. Working on this next week.

* Designation

Going for TransWilts service designaton.  Will give more freedom elements, some extra funding sources, good news story, embed CRP further. Consultation to go out from DfT» (Department for Transport - about) in the next month or so.  Designation allows flexibiity on some issues which are sensible for main lines, but for brach lines / more local services they can be more of a hinderance and even effect service viability.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: