Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:14 Plymouth to Penzance
09:44 London Paddington to Hereford
11:10 Westbury to Frome
11:14 London Paddington to Oxford
11:25 Frome to Bristol Temple Meads
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
08:13 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
08:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
08:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
09:40 Westbury to Weymouth
09:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
10:44 London Paddington to Great Malvern
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
08:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 10:19:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[95] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[57] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[25] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Cornish delays
[3] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: ORR Station usage figures April 2014 to March 2015  (Read 12424 times)
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 18:54:37 »

I'm assuming the numbers for Reading West are down by a lot as they don't actually know what the figure is based on all tickets being valid to/from Reading Stations
Rapidash

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 20:54:51 »

Looks like healthy increases across the main Devonian stations. I wouldn't be surprised if Exmouth hit's a million by 2020. Not bad for a single track branch reliant on Pacers!

It does at least confirm my observations that services are busier, even in the "quiet" times. Which is nice as I thought I may be going dippy doodah
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 21:25:34 »

Looks like healthy increases across the main Devonian stations.

Stats / graphs at http://www.wellho.net/demo/railuse.php?place=EX - replace the "EX" for other postcode areas.
"Station Comparator" at the top of all our pages also now updated

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 21:34:58 »

It would be interesting to see the dates when revenue protection was increased at each of the stations (provision of ticket barriers etc.) and if this is reflected in the growth (or in some cases decline) in the figures. E.g. Before Plymouth had ticket gates manned until late evening I'm sure there would have been a lot of ticketless travel Westwards Roll Eyes
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 21:37:22 »

51858          23930    2.167   MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains)   Melksham

Well done Trans Wilts CRP (Community Rail Partnership)
Rapidash

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 21:45:52 »

Looks like healthy increases across the main Devonian stations.

Stats / graphs at http://www.wellho.net/demo/railuse.php?place=EX - replace the "EX" for other postcode areas.
"Station Comparator" at the top of all our pages also now updated

The only real surprise I see there is Digby somehow losing 200k pax a year. I find that a bit odd, as it still seems a busy station when I go along there :/

didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 22:04:15 »

Digby is mentioned in the methodological report - it has been readjusted downwards to take account of a special student ticket in reality used to Exeter Central and St Davids.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 22:09:10 »

The only real surprise I see there is Digby somehow losing 200k pax a year. I find that a bit odd, as it still seems a busy station when I go along there :/

Are you sure the figures are "real" for passengers and don't just show a ticketing quirk?  I note a more-than-double a couple of years back and this looks like a 'correction' - perhaps lots of ticket splits.   We had such problems for a few years at Melksham - huge numbers of ticket sales from Melksham to Bristol as it was cheaper than Trowbridge to Bristol ... passenger figures prior to 2010 are wildly different to ticket sale figures which these reports give us.

Also to note - Rovers, BritRail passes, children under 5 don't show up in the stats

Ah ...

Digby is mentioned in the methodological report - it has been readjusted downwards to take account of a special student ticket in reality used to Exeter Central and St Davids.

Yes.   Reported as I typed, but my comments still add a bit

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 22:15:35 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Report - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35105105

Revealed: Britain's busiest and quietest stations

Top 10 listed in many places.    Bottom 10:

Below are the top 10 quietest stations in the UK (United Kingdom) from 2014-15, with 2013-14 figures in brackets (based on the total number of passenger exits and entries).
Shippea Hill, Cambridgeshire: 22 (12)
Coombe, Cornwall: 26 (42)
Teesside Airport, Darlington: 32 (Cool
Reddish South, Greater Manchester: 54 (26)
Barry Links, Angus: 60 (40)
Pilning, South Gloucestershire: 68 (88)
Golf Street, Angus: 86 (90)
Elton & Orston, Nottinghamshire: 88 (166)
Buckenham, Norfolk: 88 (80)
Breich, West Lothian: 92 (64)

John R

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 23:10:15 »

51858          23930    2.167   MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains)   Melksham

Well done Trans Wilts CRP (Community Rail Partnership)

Just a caution on these figures. The 2013/4 figure included just 4 months of the enhanced service, whereas the 2014/5 includes a full 12 months' worth.  So the size of the increase isn't indicative of an increasing trend necessarily. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2015, 23:31:11 »

Just a caution on these figures. The 2013/4 figure included just 4 months of the enhanced service, whereas the 2014/5 includes a full 12 months' worth.  So the size of the increase isn't indicative of an increasing trend necessarily. 

Here's a bit of a breakdown showing how the figures are likely to have come about

to March 2013
1000 ticket journeys per month for 12 months - *

to March 2014
1250 ticket journeys per month for 8 months - *
3500 journeys per month for 4 months

to March 2015
4300 journeys per month for 12 months

to March 2016
indications are that the rate will be up again, realistically in the 3,500 - 4,300 - 5,?00 sequence.   Yes - I could guess what "?" would be, but don't want to make myself a hostage to fortune.   And I say "Bath Engineering" to you to remind you of significant disruption, and trains that are getting so full at certain times that they're capping growth.

P.S. Trowbridge up 6.3% and Westbury up 8.8% as against 4.8% GWR (Great Western Railway) average ...TransWilts is a small player there,but perhaps we can be seen even with our occasional train?   Contrast to Dilton Marsh and Warminster which are not yet served.

Added 07:45 on 16th December ... footnoted comment:
* - Prior to December 2013, some journeys via Melksham were lower in price if you "split tickets" at Melksham. As an educated guess, this may have lead to 4 to 6 "phantom journeys" per day - 2 or 3 real journeys with people travelling through Melksham, but not alighting or boarding there.    These all added up - to somewhere between 1500 and 2000  tickets per annum, making the real journey figures
year to 2013: 10,250
year to 2014: 22,800 (8 months - "via Melksham" ticket introduction removed (almost?) all of the anomaly)
year to 2015: 51,858
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 07:46:21 by grahame » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2015, 08:06:25 »

I have gone back this morning and amended my technical post here on the Melksham figures - as prior to December 2013 they included split tickets which gave a distortion of around 20%.

Prior to 2010, Melksham's real figures were drowned by distortions - lots of Melksham tickets sold to people who never even travelled to, from or through - but that's now history prior to the current discussion.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2015, 08:13:49 »

Hadn't thought of the effect split ticketing has on these figures before.  Didcot must be hugely over estimated then.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2015, 08:27:28 »

Here are ..
a) 2014-2015 figures
b) 2013-2014 figures
c) growth factor from 13/14 to 14/15
d) code
e) name
of all FGW (First Great Western) as was (now GWR (Great Western Railway)) managed stations

Code:
          247068	      247418	 0.999	TAP	Taplow

.............that must have been down to me having a longer than usual holiday  Wink
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2015, 16:37:52 »

Just had a look at Shippea Hill on Google Maps: it must keep the signaller fit, climbing up to the top of that hill every day...

Edit: Ah, Google Maps is out of date. The signaller can take a well-earned rest.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: