Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
07:27 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 06:52:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Fast route Weymouth, Yeovil, Salisbury to Waterloo  (Read 33978 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 09:08:53 »

Couldn't they use the chord (I think that's the correct term) that runs roughly from Yeovil Penn Mill to Yeovil Junction? Sure, it would mean reversing twice and add unnecessary distance but I don't think those are serious problems as I don't think they're really going to do it.

I think the logic goes the other way. If it is never going to be more than an "unfunded aspiration", adding the cost of a new chord just makes it more unfundable - so what?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 09:57:40 »

Replace "Fast route Weymouth, Yeovil, Salisbury to Waterloo" by "Route Weymouth, Yeovil, Salisbury and perhaps Waterloo" and you may just be surprised at some point.  The Wessex "territory" between Westbury / Salisbury / Yeovil / Weymouth is border country between First and Stagecoach franchises, and the current drift is to make innovative little changes that just might make a big difference.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Southernman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 12:52:54 »

This proposal is a lever to put pressure on the franchising bidders. Miss Perry isn't asking Network Rail to prepare a report but rather put it into the consultation exercise for SWT (South West Trains) franchise.

There is no way Weymouth would justify 3 services an hour to/from Waterloo. Stand on Dorchester South and see the modest number of passengers travelling on the electric units. A vast amount of expenditure to save 20 or 30 minutes for how many passengers....Mmmm. Where is the new pathway into Waterloo - we are told that capacity has already been reached. Diesel units would be required - where would they be serviced? Salisbury already full.

Now if it was proposed that some through services Exeter to Yeovil Junction/Pen Mill and onto Weymouth might be introduced that would make more sense. Connections at Yeovil into Salisbury and Waterloo trains (may be combined with a through Oxford service?). The infrastructure is already there (but requires enhancement anyway).
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 13:06:22 »

Doesn't it just boil to the same old argument - "I don't see why my personal journey from <random country terminus> all the way to London should have to be slowed down by other people  who want to make perfectly reasonable intermediate journeys?"

So what if trains used to run non-stop between Southampton and Waterloo.   They were different times, and in the real world they won't be coming back.    The whole point of Southampton Parkway was to remove car journeys into the City for passengers getting London trains, and Winchester has to have some sort of fast service.

Paul
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 14:13:52 »

I don't think there was anyone foreseeing  - or even advocating - the removal of the stops further in to London - but I can certainly remember when I lived there the loud trumpeting of the speed up of the end-to end service to be achieved by the electrification which has dwindled now nearly to nothing. As is common on today's railway though the frequency of service is more, as the former semi fast service never made it to Weymouth, terminating at Bournemouth or Poole.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 14:17:15 »

An earlier thread indicates plans for a SWT (South West Trains) summer service Salisbury to Weymouth via Yeovil

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15428.0
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 14:19:35 »

Parliamentary discussion of the concept.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 14:25:23 »

An earlier thread indicates plans for a SWT (South West Trains) summer service Salisbury to Weymouth via Yeovil

Surely that is going to involve the double-reversal between the two Yeovil stations?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 20:25:35 »

I don't think there was anyone foreseeing  - or even advocating - the removal of the stops further in to London - but I can certainly remember when I lived there the loud trumpeting of the speed up of the end-to end service to be achieved by the electrification which has dwindled now nearly to nothing. As is common on today's railway though the frequency of service is more, as the former semi fast service never made it to Weymouth, terminating at Bournemouth or Poole.

Yes, back in the 70s/80s the "91"s did it non stop to Southampton every hour in 1 hr 7 mins with the rattling REP's living up to their name at their top speed of 90 mph. Usually 12 cars too, with the front four being the TC(resolve) that had the 33 attached at Bournemouth for the onward journey. The frequency to Southampton today is effectively the same though, with two TPH (trains per hour) (the journey time of the third service doesn't make it particularly attractive). Just 7 minutes slower though at 1 hr 14 mins for the fastest off peak journey.

A different world then...
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 21:45:25 »

I had memories of the ratting ride myself with the jolt on starting - and the 8 carriages or so to walk to the buffet car, although sometimes a pair of stewards walking down with the tea and coffee pots would save you the trouble.
Southernman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2015, 00:19:54 »

Surely that is going to involve the double-reversal between the two Yeovil stations?

That is correct - good to serve both Yeovil stations? Should services ever be introduced from Exeter-Weymouth then only one reversal at Yeovil Pen Mill is involved.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2015, 07:52:23 »

That is correct - good to serve both Yeovil stations? Should services ever be introduced from Exeter-Weymouth then only one reversal at Yeovil Pen Mill is involved.

There have been proposals for a West to South Curve at Yeovil which would mean only one reversal.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2015, 08:52:52 »

There have been proposals for a West to South Curve at Yeovil which would mean only one reversal.

Ha.  I drew out a signalling scheme sketch for that back in 1998.  Now I wonder what happened to that idea Roll EyesTongue..........
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2015, 12:19:11 »

The formation for a west to south curve was made in the 1860s as part of the GWR (Great Western Railway) Clifton Maybank goods line. However it was never used but it can still be traced.

In the 1980s there was an idea to provide a halt near Two Bridges, where the lines cross. The idea grew in size and became unaffordable.

The current edition of The Railway Magazine has an article on the line from Exeter to Basingstoke mentioning possible future upgrades. The author John Heaton was the area manager at Exeter for a time.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2015, 14:11:57 »

Weymouth to Waterloo via Yeovil and Salisbury can of course be done with just one reversal.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: