29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 02:52:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: First day back ...  (Read 6784 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 15:27:16 »

Interesting debate territory ...

Peak Single, 7.50
Off Peak Single, 7.30

Peak Return, 8.50
Off peak return, 7.40

As most season ticket holders will go one way in the peak, the better comparison may be with the 8.50 fare (4.25 each journey).

Interest note on the new fares that sites like http://www.brfares.com aren't able to display them ...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: A major fares revision (National Fares Manual issue 23) came into force on 2 January 2016. Unfortunately, as neither the NFM23 edition of Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) Traveller nor the corresponding open data fares "feed" have yet been publicly released by ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here), we are unable to display these fares and the site will continue to show the NFM22 fares (dating from September 2015) until further notice.

It strikes me as interesting that the rail industry's operator association isn't providing a price list at the moment - at a time of potentially the highest number of enquiries ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 16:06:40 »

Interesting debate territory ...

Peak Single, 7.50
Off Peak Single, 7.30

Peak Return, 8.50
Off peak return, 7.40

As most season ticket holders will go one way in the peak, the better comparison may be with the 8.50 fare (4.25 each journey).

Interest note on the new fares that sites like http://www.brfares.com aren't able to display them ...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: A major fares revision (National Fares Manual issue 23) came into force on 2 January 2016. Unfortunately, as neither the NFM23 edition of Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) Traveller nor the corresponding open data fares "feed" have yet been publicly released by ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here), we are unable to display these fares and the site will continue to show the NFM22 fares (dating from September 2015) until further notice.

It strikes me as interesting that the rail industry's operator association isn't providing a price list at the moment - at a time of potentially the highest number of enquiries ...

Just checked, and BR (British Rail(ways)) Fares now have 2nd January 2016 fares listed. Avantix fares data is available too, I gather (no use to me as I'm on a Mac, but OK for Windows users). ATOC website and needs you to register and sign in.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 16:15:37 »

Just checked, and BR (British Rail(ways)) Fares now have 2nd January 2016 fares listed. Avantix fares data is available too, I gather (no use to me as I'm on a Mac, but OK for Windows users). ATOC website and needs you to register and sign in.

I've taken a further look - the banner I quoted was from the top page of the site, but, yes, individual pages say that they're 2nd Jan 2016 prices.   I guess something's cached or just being put in ... I know what it's like scrambling in a new data feed when the data arrives late!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 16:38:57 »

I completely understand that it costs more to provide a more intense service.   What I don't understand (though you tell me it's obvious, I think) why it costs more per journey made ... if the trains were as heavily loaded (and, goodness, the TV pictures of the UK (United Kingdom) show heavily loaded trains) then why should doubling the service cost more than twice as much?

There's hire of extra stock, plus staff wages, of course (now, comparison of staff wages across the EU» (European Union - about), did anyone do that comparison? I'd strongly suggest that the UKs wages are higher...but whether the UKs standard of living is higher is a very moot point, which might suggest our staff are overpaid in comparison, discuss), plus extrainfrastructure to get 3-minute headways. I'm sure I've missed other costs too, like running Network Rail & the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 18:47:37 »

I think you'll find that most organisations give a pretty hefty discount to those customers who are willing buy a year's supply of their product in advance!

Not disagreeing with you but the ^3.23 is per journey, that's ^6.46 per day, not a lot different from ^7.40

If you look at Swindon the discount would be around 75% (on the anytime fare) - I am not sure many organisations offer that sort of discount even for paying a year up front!  They would be accused of overcharging their ordinary customers!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: