Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:21 Reading to Gatwick Airport
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
19:35 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
15:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
17:53 Weymouth to Bristol Temple Meads
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 20:20:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[188] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[93] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[57] access for all at Devon stations report
[36] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[30] Misleading advertising?
[10] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Newly restored "Flying Scotsman" back in service - ongoing discussion  (Read 112637 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2016, 10:39:43 »

Gutted.

Doesn't every cloud have a silver lining? - from the Daily Mail

Virgin Trains apologising to him in a reply and offered him a free train trip to the US to see one of the famous rail networks in Atlanta, Georgia.
A spokesman on its Twitter account told him: 'We feel bad about that photobomb! I hear Atlanta, Georgia has a super busy rail network.
^Fancy a trip courtesy of Virgin Atlantic? Because we'd love to make you the #FlyingYorkshireman in apology!'

It was me! It was me! For the first time in my life, my day was ruined by a passing Virgin!

Will "delayed due to spotters on the line" become a new delay reason on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website)Smiley
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2016, 11:50:40 »

I've just seen an item on yesterday's run by l'"Ecossais Volant" (sic) on French national news! It also made some of the papers, and their on-line counterparts. I don't think they were really covering it because of the importance of the event itself, so much as the amount of news media and public interest.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2016, 12:01:07 »

Muppets. All those trespassers should be arrested.
I notice that a video was tweeted (probably one of many) that has been shared many times where the photographer was trespassing himself. Surely, now that video evidence is perfectly acceptable in a court of law and the perpetrator has as good as admitted the offence, then BTP (British Transport Police) should throw the book at him and make a clear example to others.

Mind you, in years gone by, I may have been just as guilty as can be seen here or here  Embarrassed
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2016, 12:32:23 »

...Does it not run well in that condition?

The double chimney improves performance and economy, but gives it a soft exhaust - hence the German-style smoke deflectors. Trouble is, it never ran like that in LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) days; you'd have to ditch the Kylchap gear and blinkers if you wanted it to look right in apple green...
In my opinion, you have to ditch the smoke deflectors to make it look right FULL STOP. I think in the video I linked to it was in double-chymney condition but without the smoke deflectors, how does that work (and what is a 'soft exhaust' anyway, it sounds like you are refering to the noise it makes but smoke deflectors wouldn't change that)?

You pick your spot, you wait patiently, then this happens:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35662754

Gutted.
Triple gutted. Not only is the IC225 blocking the view of the steam loco, but Flying Scotsman is ruined by BR (British Rail(ways)) green livery and smoke deflectors and the class 91 is ruined by Virgin's livery. Personally, I think a class 91 in a decent livery is better looking than BR condition Flying Scotsman, but Virgin's curvy livery doesn't suit the angular class 91.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2016, 13:19:33 »

(...what is a 'soft exhaust' anyway, it sounds like you are refering to the noise it makes but smoke deflectors wouldn't change that)?

'Soft' means the exhaust wafts out of the chimney rather than being forced out by a strong draught. Without smoke deflectors, smoke hangs around the boiler and cab reducing the crew's forward vision. The smoke deflectors do just what they say - they produce a draught that lifts the smoke up and away.

The single chimney had a stronger draught, hence no need for smoke deflectors.

It's a safety thing. I'd keep them on!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2016, 13:41:07 »

It has to be safety ahead of aesthetic. An argument could be made to have the deflectors removed when on heritage railways limited to 25mph and when on static display. But not when she is running at speed on the national network.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Western Enterprise

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2016, 16:15:58 »

'Soft' means the exhaust wafts out of the chimney rather than being forced out by a strong draught. Without smoke deflectors, smoke hangs around the boiler and cab reducing the crew's forward vision. The smoke deflectors do just what they say - they produce a draught that lifts the smoke up and away.

The single chimney had a stronger draught, hence no need for smoke deflectors.

It's a safety thing. I'd keep them on!

A soft exhaust also means that more work is done in the cylinder which then moves the wheels. Boiler pressure is about 225 lbs sq Inch, and exhaust pressure might be 20lbs, whereas with a single chimney the exhaust pressure may be 50lbs. Hence the double chimney increases efficiency, which is a damn good thing as its only about 5-8% at its very best.
Lots of kettles were treated to double chimneys in the 50's in a forlorn attempt to extend the life of steam......
Quite like it in Brunswick green, in the Pegler / McAlpine years it was in Apple Green which is how many people remember it who would have been in their 50,60,70's.
W.E

Edit note: Quote marks fixed, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 17:12:52 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2016, 17:09:26 »

It has to be safety ahead of aesthetic. An argument could be made to have the deflectors removed when on heritage railways limited to 25mph and when on static display. But not when she is running at speed on the national network.

...but then you'd have the impossible double chimney/no smoke deflectors combo...

Never had this kind of trouble with City of Truro!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Billhere

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2016, 18:03:03 »

Will "delayed due to spotters on the line" become a new delay reason on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website)Smiley

Nothing new there. When I was at Oxford every time there was a steam loco about we ended up cautioning for trespassers inside the boundary fence. The only time it didn't happen was when the specials came down on weekdays when most of the neds were at work!

Vintage diesel traction was always guaranteed a check through Oxford so that the assembled Drivers who 'just happened ' to be on platform could get the benefit of the sounds of yesteryear.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2016, 09:06:54 »

Flying Scotsman  The Return BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Four Monday Evening At half past eight
Those of us with a TV licence can enjoy a half hour programe about the return to service Grin.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2016, 09:42:41 »

Or those without can simply watch it an hour later without paying  Angry
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2016, 09:50:41 »

Not for much longer - see the TV Licence thread elsewhere
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2016, 17:43:37 »

... see the TV Licence thread elsewhere

Administrator note:

For those of our public readers, and some members who have only posted a few times, who may be puzzled by this reference, may I explain that there is such a discussion, in our 'members only' area of the Coffee Shop forum.  That is where our established members can post 'among friends', in a perhaps more frank and open manner than they are able to / want to in the public area of this forum.

There's honestly no mystery to this: all members of the Coffee Shop will gain access to several new boards - 'the rumour mill', 'frequent posters' and 'and also' (for non-railway-related rants!), when they have established themselves here by posting a number of times.

Chris from Nailsea.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 18:03:12 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2016, 22:21:31 »

Flying Scotsman  The Return BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Four Monday Evening At half past eight
Those of us with a TV licence can enjoy a half hour programe about the return to service Grin.

Also on BBC iPlayer at the moment is the BBC documentary from 1968 about a previous restoration of Flying Scotsman carried out at that time when she was owned by Alan Peglar. Including an attempt to run her non-stop from Kings Cross to Edinburgh.

4472 - Flying Scotsman: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p011vfqw
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 22:58:33 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2016, 08:05:55 »

Watched the half hour programme on FS on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) 4 last night. Some outstanding camera work using drones and very impressive use of unusual angles. I particularly enjoyed the shots in the yard at dawn with artificial lighting adding its own special atmospheric effect, the camera in the cab with the flare from the firebox as the steam billows around and the little lad exclaimimg 'Flippin Nora, not another tunnel !' Priceless !. At the end I had a wry chuckle at the narrators name being John Shrapnel. Not something the engineers would want to hear in relation to the FS!. A great half hours viewing, shame it wasn't an hour !
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 12:05:33 by chuffed » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: