Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:08 London Paddington to Swindon
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
21:08 London Paddington to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 21:03:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[166] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[82] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[26] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Newly restored "Flying Scotsman" back in service - ongoing discussion  (Read 112643 times)
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2016, 14:09:16 »

The water cools the copper because it has a high specific heat. That is it takes a lot of heat to boil the water.
In my distant teaching past I used to boil water using a paper tray and Bunsen burner! The students would not believe it could be done but it usually worked.
It is the same when water is used to douse a fire; it takes the heat away
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2016, 14:56:29 »

The water cools the copper because it has a high specific heat. That is it takes a lot of heat to boil the water.

To be even more - well, specific -
The specific heat capacity of liquid water is 4.2 kJ/kg.K at all temperatures. That's big, compared to most liquids; the next highest common one is ethanol at 2.5. But if that's big, just wait -
The specific latent heat of evaporation (or vaporisation) of water to steam at 1 atmosphere is 2260 kJ/kg. That's huge.

Put another way, to boil water into steam needs as much energy as heating it through 540 K.

I suspect it's one of those "not at all well-known facts", but it should be as it helps to explain the weather. Condensing water vapour falls as rain (or ice) and leaves behind a lot of energy to heat the air and make it rise. Since the specific heat of air is lower, the equivalent temperature rise is bigger (about 2300 K). So even a water vapour content of 1% or less in the air heats it up by several degrees as part of it condenses.

These strong updraughts are the motive power of storms of all kinds, whether inside them or over larger area by generating pressure differences. Finally, the maximum (saturation) water vapour content of water goes up by 6.7% for a 1 K higher temperature. Hence the potential of rising temperatures to increase both rainfall and storm intensity, directly and quite apart from any changes in claimate or weather patterns.

Note: SI units are used above, so 1 K is the unit of temperature difference and 1 degree C = 1 K. 
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2016, 18:03:59 »

Interesting.

Copper has a high heat conductivity of course, and the outside of the firebox will always be water at no more than its boiling point of about 250 deg C at 220 psi.  So I can see that that the copper surround of the firebox will remain well below its melting point.  I presume calculations exist to show the temperature gradient across it when the fire is at maximum output. 

I read somewhere that the copper used for FS^s firebox was a special type of copper, presumably an alloy of some sort.  Whether this is to increase hardness, or strength or melting point I do not know - but I bet someone else does.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2016, 19:38:15 »

But if that's big, just wait...

Shameless digression, but I heard somewhere that when a Tesla P85D does its 'insane mode' party trick of accelerating from 0-60 in 3.2s, it does so essentially by converting the mass of one electron into energy. One electron weighs 9.1 x 10-31 kg.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2016, 19:58:28 »

But if that's big, just wait...

Shameless digression, but I heard somewhere that when a Tesla P85D does its 'insane mode' party trick of accelerating from 0-60 in 3.2s, it does so essentially by converting the mass of one electron into energy. One electron weighs 9.1 x 10-31 kg.

I think that would be more of an "interesting coincidence of numbers" - if true. But it isn't, you'd need a lot of electrons. Like 1019 of them - so not even an exotic heavy particle is going to do it.

The power it needs is 250 kW - which is impressive itself, and about what you'd find in a single (not very fast) EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) carriage (to disdigress a little).
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2016, 21:35:31 »

That is truly a splendid cutaway drawing, reminiscent of those in one of the comics of the 1960s - was it Eagle?

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2016, 21:42:37 »

That is truly a splendid cutaway drawing, reminiscent of those in one of the comics of the 1960s - was it Eagle?

May I suggest this on the shopping list then (available to purchase from 31st March 2016):

https://haynes.co.uk/catalog/general-interest-manuals/rail/flying-scotsman-manual

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2016, 04:28:08 »

As has been said the trick is to keep the crown of the firebox covered in water which makes the injectors the second most important fittings on a steam loco after the brake. But there is an additional safety  fitting called  a fusible plug in top of the firebox which is made of lead so melts well below 1000 and will allow the steam and water in the boiler to escape into the firebox. It was virtually a sackable offence to have a plug go, unless both injectors had failed and it wasn't possible to drop the fire quickly enough.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2016, 09:41:31 »

As has been said the trick is to keep the crown of the firebox covered in water which makes the injectors the second most important fittings on a steam loco after the brake. But there is an additional safety  fitting called  a fusible plug in top of the firebox which is made of lead so melts well below 1000 and will allow the steam and water in the boiler to escape into the firebox. It was virtually a sackable offence to have a plug go, unless both injectors had failed and it wasn't possible to drop the fire quickly enough.

I did an engine driving taster course on the West Somerset a few years ago. There were a couple of blokes in my group who had retired from Hinkley; they found it very hard to get their heads round the concept of a boiler where the water level changed for so many reasons - not just the fact that the water's being boiled away but things like line gradient, pressure changes caused by opening and shutting the regulator, and the chilling effect of injecting fresh (cold) water. Busy person, the firer.

From what they told me, I think it is fair to say that dropping a fusible plug at Hinkley was taken quite seriously too.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2016, 16:10:41 »

From what they told me, I think it is fair to say that dropping a fusible plug at Hinkley was taken quite seriously too.

The stuff of nightmares with an advanced gas-cooled reactor design, much less so with a Thorium molten salt plant. At least in theory.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2016, 19:57:49 »

But it isn't...

So:

The battery loses mass according to E = mc2

A Tesla P85D has a mass of 2239kg so we need about 806kJ to accelerate it to 60mph. The mass equivalent of this if 806000 / 2997924582 = 8.9x10-12kg

If one electron has a mass of 9.1 x 10-31 kg, so we lose the equivelent of 9.7 x 1018 of them.

Gosh, that's remarkably close to your calculation. I will concede!

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2016, 08:08:23 »

Looks as if we might have to start raising 'Ein Stein' to the budding mathematicians and physicists on this forum !
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2016, 11:37:51 »

Gosh, that's remarkably close to your calculation.

If taking reliable values for physical quantifies, and doing the same calculation, doesn't give the same answer then clearly this isn't proper science. It could be engineering (including coarse back-of-an-envelope science) if the answers are "close enough for our current purposes" - the textbook definition of "approximate."

Of course it could easily be politics or journalism. And these days, more worryingly, economics or psychology (and some other medical fields) are getting the same reputation.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2016, 13:52:56 »

Looks as if we might have to start raising 'Ein Stein' to the budding mathematicians and physicists on this forum !
Is Rick his brother? Roll Eyes

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2016, 00:02:56 »

So:

The battery loses mass according to E = mc2

A Tesla P85D has a mass of 2239kg so we need about 806kJ to accelerate it to 60mph. The mass equivalent of this if 806000 / 2997924582 = 8.9x10-12kg

If one electron has a mass of 9.1 x 10-31 kg, so we lose the equivelent of 9.7 x 1018 of them.

Gosh, that's remarkably close to your calculation. I will concede!

You spelled "equivalent" wrong, Proffesser.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: