07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 08:50:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Newly restored "Flying Scotsman" back in service - ongoing discussion  (Read 112738 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 23, 2017, 16:44:12 »

Regarding the trespasser featured in the photo in post #150, he should not have done it and I have no sympathy if he is prosecuted.
BUT is it actually dangerous ? he is well clear of the actual track, and in many cases the boundary fence is closer to the track than is the trespasser in the picture.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 23, 2017, 17:52:32 »

Cogload Junction about 20 minutes ago.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 23, 2017, 18:29:55 »

A bit disappointed to learn a few days ago that Flying Scotsman is not going all the way to Minehead but still a very enjoyable journey. And no hold ups due to linesiders thankfully.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 23, 2017, 19:21:24 »

Flying Scotsman off at Bishops Lydeard, to be turned on the Norton Fitzwarren triangle, then LMS (London Midland Scottish - 1923 to 1948) 7F 53808 taking the railtour forward to Minehead and return.

Flying Scotsman then reattached to the railtour at Bishops Lydeard later this evening for the return to Bristol TM(resolve), then to bed nearby.

53808 at Crowcombe Heathfield about 20 minutes ago:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 00:09:02 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #169 on: May 23, 2017, 19:35:46 »

A bit disappointed to learn a few days ago that Flying Scotsman is not going all the way to Minehead but still a very enjoyable journey. And no hold ups due to linesiders thankfully.

Gauging issues?   Sadly, second time this month if it was on the West Somerset Railway.

Why do loading gauges get reduced?  This isn't the only instance - I believe that platform 3 at Salisbury is now out of bounds for 153s - which is why JourneyCheck has been showing cancellations of services from Westbury to Southampton (which surely puts the skim-reader off travelling) then show an additional train in the same timing under amendments.

When the older trains on the main network eventually get retired, let's hope they can still fit up to Minehead  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 23, 2017, 19:41:37 »

When the Somerset Explorer HST (High Speed Train) trip only went as far as Bishops Lydeard the state of the track was quoted as the reason - no doubt mindful of the problems which befell the special from Okehampton.

So I am not sure if is gauging issues afflicting Flying Scotsman or the condition of the permanent way.  There is a turntable at Minehead which I assume would have been suitable to turn the loco had it reached there.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2017, 19:48:44 »

Flying Scotsman off at Bishops Lydeard, turned on the Norton Fitzwarren triangle and bed for the night nearby, then LMS (London Midland Scottish - 1923 to 1948) 7F 53808 taking the railtour forward to MineheadAt Crowcombe Heathfield about 20 minutes ago

No, not turned on the triangle, still facing towards Minehead.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2017, 20:12:40 »

I cant comment on The Flying Scotsman, but there's a fair bit of steam being blown off on this thread! 😉
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2017, 20:19:44 »

At Crowcombe Heathfield about 20 minutes ago:

To my mind, that is what a branch line should look like.  Wink Cheesy Grin

Excellent picture, bignosemac!  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2017, 20:30:19 »

Confused. Is Flying Scotsman staying by the seaside for the night, while its rake of carriages is hauled back to Southall by diesel, via BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)? There remain mysteries on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) that I have yet to penetrate.

Now, please!
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2017, 20:37:40 »

Flying Scotsman off at Bishops Lydeard, turned on the Norton Fitzwarren triangle and bed for the night nearby, then LMS (London Midland Scottish - 1923 to 1948) 7F 53808 taking the railtour forward to MineheadAt Crowcombe Heathfield about 20 minutes ago

No, not turned on the triangle, still facing towards Minehead.

I guess it will need to be turned before its two circular trips from Bishops Lydeard to Bath on Friday
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2017, 23:04:27 »

When the Somerset Explorer HST (High Speed Train) trip only went as far as Bishops Lydeard the state of the track was quoted as the reason - no doubt mindful of the problems which befell the special from Okehampton.

So I am not sure if is gauging issues afflicting Flying Scotsman or the condition of the permanent way.  There is a turntable at Minehead which I assume would have been suitable to turn the loco had it reached there.

Now, I'd heard, pretty much from a horse's mouth (a GWR (Great Western Railway) HST driver), that there were clearance issues at Watchet that would have required removal of the HST power cars' steps. This would have needed to be done the day before and replaced the day after, meaning the power cars used on the special would have been in scheduled traffic without the steps. Something the majority of drivers were not keen on. No fun trying to get in and out of a cab from the four foot without those steps.

Watchet station's platform has been changed since the last time a HST visited the WSR.

As for Flying Scotsman. Too big for the turntable at Minehead due to the permanently attached corridor tender. The only practical options would have been to drag it back light engine to Norton triangle to turn it, using the Class 47 from the rear of the set. Or have the start of the next tour diesel hauled with FS on the rear.  I was told today that Flying Scotsman's owners don't like having the loco dragged in reverse or running tender first unless absolutely necessary. There are, I was also told, additional costs for doing such moves. Not least keeping the signal boxes open on the WSR late into the evening,  and staffing the stations and crossings to prevent trespass.

As it was, it was already a later finish for station staff and siggies. The Station Master was on duty at Crowcombe Heathfield until the special passed, even though FS had dropped off at Bishop's Lydeard.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2017, 23:09:34 »

Well you can't beat information from an on the spot reporter.

Watchet station's platform has been changed since the last time a HST (High Speed Train) visited the WSR.

Now we know it isn't "the" Flying Scotsman" but is it "a" HST or "an" HST.   Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 23, 2017, 23:16:26 »

I tend to read abbreviations as the full words. And write as such. So, "A High Speed Train", rather than "An 'igh Speed Train".  Wink

What do the journalism style guides say?

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 23, 2017, 23:22:22 »

"an"

Mind you it also suggests football teams are plural - so it is "Yeovil Town are" rather than "Yeovil Town is" - which some complain about too..
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: